The long weekend of B.S begins - UK.

by quellycatface 106 Replies latest jw friends

• bigmac
    bigmac

i had great times as a teenager in it---loads of post circuit assembly parties---or better still if mum and dad dub went on holiday and left teenage offspring home alone---but not for long lol.

assemblies were just for talent spotting. none of us lads listened to one word in the sessions.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Bloody hell, what a great photo Tim. That would have been around the time y mother was being recruited. She was baptised at Wembly 69??.

I remember that view very well during the 70's and 80's before thay build the new stand.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Ahh, Wembly '69. They were good days when the world was simple, black and white, us and them, truth and lies. I loved it. Then like most youthful idealism, the fundamentals faded, the ideals became flawed, the foundations became suspect.

The stories I could tell.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i think wembley 69 was the last big arse-embly i ever attended. i was married then--and forced by my born in zealotess to actually show some semblence of listening. it never stopped raining. all i remember is that superdub ron drage bellowing into megaphone to try to keep some order in the underground passageways. probably the worst few days of my life. i vowed never to go again.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"The worst bit was the resurrection video. To play on peoples' emotions like that is simply wrong." Is there any video of this available?

• ThomasCovenant
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Ron Drage and his megaphone/personal amp and speaker. He is seriously ill with cancer now I hear.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

I'm reliably informed that you only need 7 people to start a Mexican wave.

• 88JM
    88JM
    "The worst bit was the resurrection video. To play on peoples' emotions like that is simply wrong."

SO many people were talking about THAT video after the convention. I actually found the experience quite disturbing and I can't quite put my finger on it. The video was without any dialogue I think, and not very long, but for some reason it was enough to move almost everyone close to tears. I felt weird that I seemed to be the only one around me not visibly moved by such a blatent appeal to emotion. I wouldn't know how to accurately identify mass hysteria, but that seemed pretty damn close to it.

The thing is though, it clearly had the desired effect it's creators intended, and people kept talking about it. I can see them repeating this strategy much more in future.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Tim Hooper - I looked at your pic but I was not in it, although I was around and doing that sort of thing then.

We caught some of it yesterday . My recollections are 1) how the stadium has been massively improved - Wow! 2) The first thing inside the gate was a "credit card donation desk 3) at lunchtime , all the foreign delegates ,and some London looking youths parading around ,posing in their finery 4) a special good seating area for "Full time servants with travel assistance, only" 5) some dubs grumbling that the drama was "only a video" ...I bet they won't say that at the K/Hall next week

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit