The long weekend of B.S begins - UK.

by quellycatface 106 Replies latest jw friends

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Wow, I thought that was a joke about the Mexican wave, but no, I've just seen it on a friends instagram video fo'sho'!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Yup. I've seen it all now. A Mexican wave, missionaries paraded around the field, being cheering and whooping like they were superstars. The masses LOVED it.

The worst bit was the resurrection video. To play on peoples' emotions like that is simply wrong.

I was thinking about you konceptual, slidin fast, jm88, and all the others posting on here, it saddened me that there might not even have been one free thinker in each stadium.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I think there were more than you think. There were several I spoke to with a healthy dose of cynisism about the adulation, adoration and emotive hype of the whole thing. I am sure that if people felt more free to express their opinions there would be more criticism of the society than one would imagine now.

Well let's hope more and more join up here, itd be good to know we're not alone at events like these.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Twickenham 50 years ago. When they said how important it was for brothers to fellowship together in the food tents!

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I found that the most disheartening thing is that this convention which was based on emotional manipulation, outright encouragement of unfounded speculation and very little intellectual substance went down so well with the audience. Perhaps they deserve to be slaves to this misguided bunch of old men.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Tim, i've got loads of pics like those. I admit it, I loved those assemblies as a kid. Never was in the sessions though.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i almost like the pic from 50 years ago. i was there !

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You had more hair then Bigmac.

I was at Twickers in those years too. I remember snogging a pretty girl or two up in the Stands late in the evening.

In many ways the religion was the same then as now, a strange little mind-control cult.

But there certainly was much more freedom within it, and there was without doubt a terrific Esprit de Corps.

All gone now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit