The long weekend of B.S begins - UK.

by quellycatface 106 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

That video has me seething!!

My auntie, who lost her beloved son a few years ago, will not know what she's walking into next weekend. What day is that video shown? Should I forewarn her?

Those cold, soulless manipulators have a LOT to answer for

• tim hooper
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I was there in '63, that was the "Around the World Assembly". Some went to every one as they went around the globe, it took them a year. Talk about groupies. I went to Milan with my parents by car afterwards. At the time it was really a fabulous experience. Looking back, the whole thing was just as misguided as now but I don't think anyone had a clue. Most people were whole-hearted and sincere and there were a lot of good people.

Now, since all the dissapointments and outrageous, deliberate rubbish that has been foisted in the name of spiritual food it is much harder to have any respect for those in authority.

• sir82
    sir82

I wouldn't know how to accurately identify mass hysteria, but that seemed pretty damn close to it.

The thing is though, it clearly had the desired effect it's creators intended, and people kept talking about it. I can see them repeating this strategy much more in future.

Unfortunately, yes.

I imagine there are thousands of gushing, near-hystercial letters pouring into Bethel, blubberingly & weepingly thanking them over and over and over for that "faith strengthening video".

By 2020, the conventions will be 1/2 pre-recorded video talks, and the other 1/2 emotionally manipulative videos such as this one.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The strategy has shifted from recruitment to retention.

The aging JW population has little to look forward to (death) and most have lost someone already (parents, siblings, even children).

To "keep them in" the WTS is hammering away at this idea of the resurrection. Emotional claptrap is the easiest way to leave a deep impression on the minds of the JW.

Combine that with ever present guilt trips and the JW is simply going to follow orders so they can make it into the new system and see their dead relatives.

They suck.

• Stealth
    Stealth

The JW pedophile community should be quite happy that at these conventions, there was no outright condemnation of pedophilia, or change in WT policy to emphasize the protection of children in the congregation.

• steve2
    steve2

Splash, Thank you for providing the final attendance number for England: 149,174.

Does that include attendance numbers for Wales and Scotland?

• 88JM
    88JM
    Thank you for providing the final attendance number for England: 149,174.
    Does that include attendance numbers for Wales and Scotland?

Yes, I can verify that it includes Wales, Scotland and Ireland - the same number was announced in Scotland (watching the same live feed). They actually announced the numbers for each individual convention (someone probably has those if you are interested) - so there was no fudging going on. Keeping in mind that Twickenham was an international convention, so the grand total is quite a bit larger than a normal year for Britain - you can't really use it to calculate growth percentages (as I've seen some doing) as it includes international delegates as well as many many children who would not be counted as publishers in the "official" statistics report that is produced. Sadly, it does mean that percentage figure will probably be a bit higher. There is also still the last convention in Coventry still to go, so sadly more baptisms to add to that figure as well :(

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

My Facebook has various platitudes from the Glasgow Convention.

A picture of the venue "The Hydro" with comments like "Spiritual Paradise".
    Comments about how wonderful the Mexican wave was (I mean, really?). That 'black brother' has a great sense of humour etc. etc.
    Hearing from the governing body - what a privilege! He is so normal! Just like us!

To me, it's like a constant need for validation of their life. It is heart breaking. There is another life out there.

• 88JM
    88JM

George? Who the hell is George lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit