The long weekend of B.S begins - UK.

by quellycatface 106 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Oh - I forgot to mention the other landmark announcements.

They actually made TWO apologies from the platform. One for the disasterous way they handled the infirm and those with special needs on Friday. The other was for the chaotic way they organised people queing for shuttle busses to their hotels. Delegates who had paid thousand of pounds had to wait 2 hours to get on a bus then spend an hour driving 3-4 miles.

That was a first that I can remember.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

They actually apologised for something?

• losingit
    losingit

Mexican wave-- bc it was led by Mexican brothers or bc it originated in Mexico? Not understanding how the adjective 'Mexican' fits here....

anyways, it looks like the waves we do at Yankee Stadium when the Yankees play, just much more fun bc we're cheering for a team with more than 25 championships!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

nicolaou

That video has me seething!!

I was very annoyed too. I made a couple of comments HERE.

My auntie, who lost her beloved son a few years ago, will not know what she's walking into next weekend. What day is that video shown? Should I forewarn her?

Hell yes, warn her! I warned some of my JW family and friends because of recent bereavements. They were glad. They could at least brace themselves ... or choose to have a bathroom break at that moment or whatever ... instead of being caught unawares.

That video is shown on Sunday a.m. in one of the symposium talks under 'Anticipate Future Kingdom Blessings.'

• Heartofaboy
  • Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Sorry guys the link doesn't work.

I'll try pasting just a little of the info.

when and how did the first Mexican wave start?

Gerard O'brien, Dunedin New Zealand

• We first saw them during the 1986 World Cup. It was held in Mexico (hence the name given to the wave), and by all accounts these had been a regular event at Mexican football matches for years before.

John Eccleston, Liverpool UK
    • It's now known as the Mexican Wave because it was first seen internationally at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico City. It appeared at American football games for a few years before that. It first appeared at a University of Washington Homecoming Game in 1981, led by UW Husky "Yell Leader" Rob Weller and UW Marching Band director Bill Bissell.

Scott McKinstry, Seattle USA
    • Didn't it start during the Mexican world cup in 1986, hence the name?

Duncan, London UK
    • I think Duncan might be right. As to why it started, I think someone spilt hot enchilladas on their lap during a boring match, and the rest is history.

Nick Simmons, Cardiff UK
    • The short answer to that "answer" is - no, it didn't start in Mexico. Whatever the rather witty coffee add (and the title) might suggest I attended a baseball game in Boston 1984 and we all partook in a "??" wave. Two years before the famed world cup. I'm afraid I don't know where it really did come from.

Donal Owens , Luxembourg Luxembourg
    • The first answer is correct, hence the name. The term has now been added to the Dictionary as 'Mexican Wave'.

I McGirr, Glasgow
    • Actually I think the phenomenon started during the LA Olympics, but was only called the Mexican Wave during the 1986 World Cup.

Keith Wood, Perth Australia
    • When the first Mexican left home of course!

paul, Derby UK
    • It was in existence before the 1986 world cup, although not common in europe. American football coverage on channel4 featured waves several years before '86. they were known as "waves", not mexican waves.

Ceri, Glasgow Scotland
    • The Mexican Wave is called that as it did indeed first become popular in Europe after the '86 Mexico World Cup. It is, however, older than that, and its origin in dispute. US College football team the Washington Huskies claim to have invented it on October 31, 1981, while "Krazy" George Henderson claims to have started it at an Oakland vs. New York baseball game on the 15th of that month. Either way, by 1982 it was gaining popularity in the US, and by 86 it had clearly reached Mexico.

Gaz Owen, Crewe UK
    • I think it's been going on in the States since well before Mexico 86, that was just the first time it was seen by a wider audience. If you ever listen to American sports commentators they always just call it 'the wave'.

James Geldart, London UK
    • The americans have been doing something similar for years, but the first time i saw it was during World Cup '86. ps/ Gerard, did you go to St.Edmunds school, Dunedin around 1976-79, as i remenber a GOB from there.

Steve Dickenson, Billingham England
    • For some hard proof that the Mexican wave predates the Mexico World cup of 1986 just rent a copy of Teen Wolf. During the basketball game at the end of the movie you will see the 'kids' in the hall performing a 'Mexican' wave. The movie was released in 1985 which means it was probably shot in 1984. The movie also proves what an acting talent Mr Fox was.

Matt, London UK

Add your answer

UP

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

They actually apologised for something?

Yes Heartofaboy, they actually apologised for something. In fact they apologised for two things.

The first was the shambolic way they (dis)organised things for the infirm and those with special needs on Friday. They completely underestimated the numbers and they ran out of facilities very early on. There were many who simply could not be properly accomodated.

The other apology was for the complete and utter cock up in organising the shittle (I mean it that way) buses going back to the hotels. There was no organisation of the queues. People waited patiently for bus after bus, only for them to turn up, stop in the wrong place and then have a bundle of brothers barge on, pushing and pulling - ignoring those who had been waiting for far, far longer. I know of one brother who in the end had to physically block the steps to the bus to let his pregnant wife, another family with a pregnant sister and some elderly ones get onto the bus where they had waited for bus after bus for almost 2 HOURS and simply been pushed out of the way all that time. All he got was abuse from his "brothers" in the melee. So much for brotherly love and showing an interest in others. I don't know how he showed that much restraint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit