When we die...

by Finallyfree12 156 Replies latest jw friends

• Mikado
    Mikado

I can't answer the spirit question, but for me the life after death thing is easy really.

Before I was alive I wasn't here, after I won't be either...

Carpe Diem is my motto...

I have much loved dogs, they have more right to any afterlife than I ever would, and sadly I'm pretty sure they don't get anything....

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Dunno really. I have no evidence either way. No paranormal experience ever befell me.

I'll either know or not when the time inevitably comes.

• Chalam
    Chalam

spirit | ˈspirit |

noun

1 the nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul : we seek a harmony between body and spirit .

• the nonphysical part of a person regarded as a person's true self and as capable of surviving physical death or separation : a year after he left, his spirit is still present .

• the nonphysical part of a person manifested as an apparition after their death; a ghost .

• galaxie
    galaxie

SPIRIT ;.Laphroaig a good Islay malt whisky ( too much makes you see spirits ) CHEERS hic'

• cofty
    cofty

Nobody has ever defined spirit except in negative terms. - Me

the nonphysical part of a person - Chalam

Fail

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Here's another way of looking at the likelihood of an afterlife, besides the materialist approach I mentioned on page 2. Is there a God who cares about us? Some people think so. They think they see evidence of his love in their lives. But many posters here have agreed that it doesn't make sense that God would watch over some people and completely fail to show himself in other people's lives, nor to help all the people who really need help, living in desperate circumstances without enough food, clean water, etc.

So, if there isn't clearly a God who cares about us during our earthly life, "glutted with agitation" as it is, why would he have prepared an afterlife for us? Is that really logical, that he lets people suffer through all kinds of awfulness here and then says, "But surprise! Now that you're dead you get to live in this nice other world that I prepared for you. Sorry I let you starve to death in the last one/get murdered with a hatchet in the Rwandan genocide/etc., that's just how things work."

I suppose some people have a more open-ended, Buddhist kind of view of the cosmos, where the spirit is just something that lives on, or is reincarnated, which leaves all kinds of unanswered questions about why it works this way, if there isn't a caring personal God who designed things to work that way.

• Viviane
    Viviane

That tells me what it isn't, Chalam, not what it IS. You may as well have defined it as not made of string cheese.

And Laphroaig IS delicious....

• Finallyfree12
    Finallyfree12

Chalam, my brother saw that movie and said it was really good. i'll look into this. Thanks

• bigmac
    bigmac

this whole life-after-death idea was just a big con by whichever religion to encourage men to go to war to fight other men--with the comforting thought that if they get killed the will get a second chance in heaven or whatever other place they feel happy with.

however--i do think many of us will live on after death--but only in the memory of those that remember us.--and when they too die--then --thats it--youre forgotten.

• LV101
    LV101

Ditto talesin's comment. I've not recovered from the fantasy of possessing my own pet lion and grizzly bear someday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit