What about your vow to Jehovah?

by a watcher 287 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

I was never a JW. I was baptized over thirty years ago, full immersion, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Although my thoughts have changed, I have not wavered in my dedication.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

A Watcher, which set are you referring to? I think mine falls under the middle set of questions. Have you noticed the new set? With those you dedicate yourself to a man-made organization. N ot really Biblical, is it? Look up Matt. 28:19, 20 for bit of clarity on the matter:

[Thank you Blondie for the references]

Watchtower 1966 August 1 p.465 Baptism Shows Faith

Are you able to answer "Yes" to the two questions regularly propounded when individuals present themselves for Christian baptism?

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Watchtower 1970 May 15 p.309 Your Conscience Toward Jehovah

20 Two questions which do search out the heart and mind of each candidate are: (1) Have you recognized yourself as a sinner and needing salvation from Jehovah God? And have you acknowledged that this salvation proceeds from him and through his ransomer, Christ Jesus? (2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God's Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

Watchtower 1973 May 1 p.280 Baptizing Follows Discipling...If you feel the same about serving Jehovah God and taking Christ's yoke upon you, we suggest that you consider the following two questions, which are asked of candidates for baptism:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

In 1985 WT:

"On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins

and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of

Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?"

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

If I had made a vow to the sky god it really would be none of your business.

Some folks like to try to lay on the guilt pretty thick. Nice try.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Hi a watcher. ( kind of sounds like Hiawatha!! Lol)

I don' t mind your questions on the matter.

• jam
    jam

Parable of the lost sheep, if he have a hundred sheep

and one go astray he then go after the one that have

strayed. You will not find that one here. You are definitely

barking up the wrong tree (or site). LOL We know Jehovah

very well.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

a watcher:

This is a guilt-trip question that won't work on me. The questions asked before I got dunked are in the third category, before 1985 when they very quietly changed them to "spirit directed organization". In other words, I never dedicated myself to any organization!

Why not pose these questions prior to the actual baptism, when somebody is in street-clothes and not under duress and distracted? The religion is probably afraid somebody will say: "whoaa...wait a minute!"

As far as I am concerned, I was a victim of bait and switch.

• Mum
    Mum

Because "Jehovah" is protecting child molestors, discouraging education and free thought, and making life a living hell. JW's don't have to believe in hell because they are living it!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My dedication was always to God.... Because of my loyalty to God, I left the jw organization when I found out they misrepresent him, and bring dishonor to him.

I was baptized at the age of 8 in 1960. The questions before baptism back then did not have any mentiion of "an organization" They changed those questions in 1985 to include the organization in the baptismal vows...so by being baptized you were being baptized into an organization.

Jesus never said anything about that.... but instructed his followers to "baptize in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit."

The jw organization is a disgrace. My conscience, and my relationship with God will not allow me to be any part of it.

Coffee

• humbled
    humbled

coffee_black,

Maeve

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    The jw organization is a disgrace.
    My conscience, and my relationship with God will not allow me to be any part of it.....Coffee

photo appl.gif

............................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit