I have just been disinvited to my brother's wedding - Thanks AAWA!

by Sic Semper Tyrannis 423 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Angharad
    Angharad

If it was FB friends, and not the AAWA administrators who auto-added people, then it's the FB friends who deserve the blame.

I think the point is that once they realised over 1000 people had been auto-added by some people they should have shut the group and re-started with more secure settings. One of the founders has said that they even recognised known apologists names being added to the group - at that point it doesn't matter if it is secret to the public or not everyone that is in the group will be able to see everyone else in the group and they cannot be aware of everyones motives. Depending on peoples personal FB settings the group members would be able to gather infomation from the personal profiles of other group members

• Violia
    Violia

There is a way to have a second face book account, one you could use for activity in groups that you might not want others to know about. Don't let anyone goad you into "coming out" until it is safe for you to do.

• Dagney
    Dagney

then it's the FB friends who deserve the blame

You know what? I totally agree. But to date, AAWA has approved of the adds, calling them "members", and calling the action of adding, "over-enthusiastic" during the "blush" of the start up. We understand all that. But AAWA refused to make it right, in the very least to notify all the members, (to my knowledge), after the fact. Or just pull down the page, say what happened, and "Here's our new page!! Let's get back to work!"

• Simon
    Simon
    If you're on Facebook, you've already compromised your privacy to some degree, while doing nothing more than simply signing up.

I agree. This is why I think promoting the use of facebook groups for something like the AAWA without first warning of the potential consequences is reckless. It may be appropriate for a small, well controlled private group of volunteers but even then there is a risk that it exposes them unless you can verify everyone who will ever be granted access.

Sending out open invites to all and sundry but then falling back on claims that the group is 'secret' is I believe a little disengenuous.

However, I'm unclear as to whether the administrators of AAWA auto-added people, or whether individuals, such as my friends that I referenced above, did the auto-adding in this instance. If it was FB friends, and not the AAWA administrators who auto-added people, then it's the FB friends who deserve the blame.
    Can someone clarify the facts re: who was responsible for the auto-adding of members to the AAWA FB page?

There was some confusion initially about whether it was just a non AAWA copy-cat group that this happend to but then it did appear to be the official AAWA group people were added to because it was left open (in the sense that it was apparently secret but didn't need any admin-approval for people to be added) and then actually made open for a period. I don't know what the official relationship is between people who were adding people and the AAWA organization but the organization created and were the only ones able to control membership of the group.

The truly sad thing is that we've only heard from people who already know they have been outed. There may be information passed on to elders that will result in people being 'invited' for a chat in the back room at the KH because they either chose to join without realizing the danger or were added without their knowledge.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

I hate to think what will happen when AAWA has local co-ordinators "inadvertently" outing people when their cavalierly led task force takes to the ground.

• Simon
    Simon

I think for an organization like this it should have very clear procedures around how personal information will be shared and who with. How will volunteers be vetted for instance to make sure they are genuine and won't abuse the information entrusted to them?

It goes beyond facebook if you are offering to help what could be vulnerable people and don't have very good measures in place to ensure their protection.

• Stealth
    Stealth

Even if they were to shutdown and restart... what prevents an elder or someone trying to out others to set up a facebook account just for that purpose and ask to join the group. The same risk would be there. Using facebook just seems like a bad idea all around when it comes to protecting privacy. That said, I am not a facebook user so I certainly may not know what I am talking about.

• Simon
    Simon
    Even if they were to shutdown and restart... what prevents an elder or someone trying to out others to set up a facebook account just for that purpose and ask to join the group. The same risk would be there. Using facebook just seems like a bad idea all around when it comes to protecting privacy. That said, I am not a facebook user so I certainly may not know what I am talking about

No, you are spot on - that is exactly the issue. The risk will always be there which is why, if you are going to use facebook, you can't make invites open to all without carrying a warning of the potential consequences. I don't believe that it's possible to verify the intentions of everyone asking to join a group that you publicly send an invite out for. If it is, I'd love to know how - it would make my life much easier ! :)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I had a feeling something like this would happen, not that it makes the blindest bit of difference to me, I've already been unfriended by my own sister and her immediate friends, folks are treading on eggshells for years after fading/leaving the WTS, FB/icloud/Linkedin etc just seem to randomly hold onto so much bulk of personal information and spew it out randomly without the slightest warning, thats why caution needs to be shown.

• sir82
    sir82

Good Lord what a train wreck.....

A conspiracy-minded person might think that someone intentionally picked the single most complete way to utterly screw up the start of something that sounded appealing and promising.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit