I have just been disinvited to my brother's wedding - Thanks AAWA!

by Sic Semper Tyrannis 423 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• bohm
    bohm

okay official statement:

http://jwactivists.org/blog/an-eventful-journey-summing-up-aawas-launch/

Unsatisfied with this response, the forum then began demanding that AAWA take down its 1,300+ member secret group. The argument was that, because the privacy of the group members was supposedly in doubt, we were putting any potential faders within our group at risk of being outed and disfellowshipped. AAWA’s board investigated this claim, but soon discovered that because AAWA’s facebook group is set to “secret,” the identity of its members cannot be viewed by non-members. This means that if you are a fader, and you were mistakenly “joined” to this group by one of your friends without your knowledge, nobody would know about it but you and the other members who have themselves been joined.

So basically its as safe as JWN where we all use our real names and identity.

Again: It was bad when simon had countries being shown in a beta. It is not bad when they show the real names and identities.

great job choosing facebook as a platform...

• mind blown
    mind blown

It seems that people had "Liked" the "FB Fan Page" when they did not press the "Like" button. It has happened to one person I know of.

Also:

Cedars will not grasp that the thousands who were forced added to the "FB Secret Group" shows "each others photos" and issues notices to each other within that secret group. If there are JW's who were forced added, as well as other family members or friends who were also forced added, they can see everything within that "FB Secret Group" page.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Dagney, the guy with the Mexican hat (what is his name again?) actually stated that the page was open for a time. And he should know because he was in charge! Either he has not communicated this to Cedars or he is being disingenuous.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

This is the house that Simon built. AAWA is the house that Cedars built.

Cedars just picked up his toys and went home me thinks.

Wonder if thats ever happened here with any other recognizable ExJWs? Hmmmm.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The problem is that within the bulk of people that got dragged into the group (the 1300), more than likely there are WT apologists who are now able to see the Facebook pages of the faders and active Witnesses and take screen shots of their FB pages where their affiliation with the so called "secret" AAWA group is shown. How difficult is it to see the potential danger in this?

Eden

• bohm
    bohm

EdenOne:

SURELY no mentally challenged elder would do that. CLEARLY he would prefer dragging his ass through rain with a wet asleep than sit on his ass and do his favorite two things: (1) be a dick (2) count time while eating donuts.

...On the other hand, on JWN, countries being shown by accident on the beta was a VerySeriousThing.

jesus..

• Simon
    Simon
    Do I understand this right? When the problem emerged about people's identities being compromised on AAWA's Facebook page, Cedars' initial response wasn't to delete the Facebook page, instead it was to contact you privately to try and get you to drop the issue on the forum, with the threat he would try to reveal something he thought was damaging about the running of your site if you didn't?

Yes, I sent a PM trying to offer some support and to apologise if it seemed I was being too hard on them. Got some threats in return - not only for the region/country location but also that even though we'd already removed several unconstructive comments / insults directed toward the AAWA he didn't think we'd removed enough of them and was trying to claim that 'people had been sued for less'.

I tried to tell him what I thought he was doing wrong and why I believed it was being mishandled but I don't think advice is anything he wanted to hear, never mind listen to, even if it was given in private.

Oh, and he wanted a public apology from me so here you go Cedars:

I'm sorry ... that you have handled things so badly and continued to poor your own gasoline on the fire you started by acting in an arrogant and dismissive way when concerns where brought to your attention. I'm sorry you exposed other people's identities and seriously affecting people's lives and also tarnished other people reputations who had the misfortune of deciding to embark on this endeavour with you. I'm sorry I feel the need to keep the warning up about AAWA so anyone who googles it can see how you treat people. I'm sorry, in hindsight, that I agreed to let you post your announcement in the first place. I'm sorry I took your side when you whined on and on and on about being attacked and threatened by someone on the site when in hindsight I was fooled and should have deleted you instead.

"Happy?"

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Cadars your FAQ page needs to be updated. Apparently "all appropriate measures" does not include deleting your Facebook page where over 1000 people were added without their consent.

Do I need to reveal my identity in order to volunteer?
    AAWA understands that there are compelling reasons why certain volunteers may wish to keep their identity confidential. In particular, Watchtower’s threat of shunning so-called “apostates” creates a climate of fear and intimidation for any who would consider opposing the organization. For this reason, AAWA welcomes those who wish to volunteer on a strictly confidential basis, and takes all appropriate measures to protect the anonymity of such ones.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

bohm,

Do you have an idea how many times information is "slipped on" to Elders anonymously ? A printed screenshot of a Facebook page slipped into an evelope, that is left quietly on the postbox of an Elder. It doesn't have to be an Elder lurking. All it takes is a vindictive coward.

And yes, of course, to reveal the geographical location of a poster is just as serious. Especially if that country is a small country with only a few congregations, where basically every JW knows every other JW.

Eden

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yes, slim, there was that. And I believe he also said that because of that there were a mix of people now in the group including some not so desirable. I don't have time to look up exactly what he said, Juan Viejo2.

So you are right, which is it. I felt Juan tried to be honest. Some other statements on the site are less so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit