I have just been disinvited to my brother's wedding - Thanks AAWA!

by Sic Semper Tyrannis 423 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• still thinking
    still thinking

I wonder if they think he lives in the UK because I think he wanted to give that impression....Simon

You know...all this time I did think he was in the UK...I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the picture that's been painted.

• talesin
    talesin

I just want to add a word of caution to anyone who is a 'member' of this facebook group.

I was added to this group months ago, when they were organizing - though I do not belong to any other antiJW groups on facebook, one of my friends thought it would be something I might enjoy getting involved with - a group that was ORGANIZING, with the purpose of exposing the WT.

After only 2 or 3 days, I saw posts in this group which led me to believe that the group was both radical and malicious.

As an experienced organizer with other groups (environmental and poverty activism), I realized that ANGRY PEOPLE ACCOMPLISH VERY LITTLE BUT TROUBLE, and I quietly left the group.

Now that I see what's happened this week, I'm not at all surprised.

I urge anyone who has the tiniest concerns about their privacy and safety to exercise the greatest caution re any involvement with AAWA.

And as for Cedars, I will not violate privacy rules by giving details, but I had a personal exchange with him last year in which he spurned my help with one of his projects. His attitude was that of an elder 'pat, pat on the head, that's okay, little gurl, we don't need YOUR help'. When the thing with NN happened, I was horrified - Nathan Natas would NEVER threaten ANYONE with bodily harm, unless - perhaps - it was a child molester in the act! He is just not that kind of person, nor is he that stupid. I'm so sorry you were fooled by Cedar's bullshit, Simon, re this valued and trusted member of the forum (NN).

xo

tal

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

talesin, are you and I FB friends? I think we might be but I'm not sure, cuz it's hard to keep track of who's who. :)

• brinjen
    brinjen

As I said before, I was added to AAWA without my knowledge as well. There were quite a few posts made by the group's admin that raised little alarm bells with me but it wasn't until "that" post was made about the so-called "security breach" that I came here to find out the full story. I'm not so sure how many other members are unaware of it either as there have only been a few passing comments to threads here made with some insinuating that it's jealousy behind the threads.

Like many others... I find the whole cover-up approach to be the most alarming here. You don't have to look far to find examples of good intentions going wrong and what usually saves the most "face" is publicly admitting when you've done the wrong thing and correcting it. I've seen no example of that here. Bitter pills don't taste near as bad once swallowed...

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thank you Besty for apologising on behalf of others - you're a gent! ...Venetian.

He did not apologise on my behalf...no one has my persmission to do that... And by the way...you never answered my question. Which behaviour is worse? A swear word or destroying someones family and refusing to acknowlege, apologise...or try to remedy this? And as for the 'whore' comment that you are now focussing on to distract from the REAL issues here. No one but you read that as literally calling you a whore for goodness sake. Read it in context...and get a clue.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

He did not apologise on my behalf...no one has my persmission to do that...

Ditto, IMHO I think it's rude and condescending to do so.
  • talesin
    talesin

Mad, I dunno, are we facebook friends? Check your messages on facebook ...

xo

tal

• moshe
    moshe

AAWA - I'm glad I didn't waste any time reading those topics-- and I have no clue what this is all about- except Cedars is in the wringer, from my experience caesars don't take criticism very well.

Simon knows how to wield the delete button and why not Cedars? . --He who was claimed to be better than sliced bread with a spread of marimite, but is now found to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

http://www.rabble.ca/books/reviews/2013/04/10-key-points-becoming-more-compassionate-activist

The above article is from an activist website full of excellent articles and ideas and suggestions from the experts on how to successfully mobilize for a cause. Among the many suggestions that AAWA would do well to heed is this one:

- anger may fuel and motivate your cause, but all too often the anger ends up turning against one another, and your cause burns out.

It's beginning to seem like AAWA is so caught up in their brand of "righteous" anger that everything else has no importance, including personal privacy and harm to the individual.

The group may well be able to continue on to successfully lobby for the "anti" cause, but I can't see them EVER helping exiting JWs with the current approach.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I was added to this FB group without any knowledge. I could count the number of ex-JW FB friends on less than one hand (and none of them are any of the "big" names) and yet somehow, on however many days ago that it was launched, I found myself part of this group. My husband was able to see that I was part of this "secret" group. I've spent the day reading posts on here from people saying that if I didn't want to be part of it, then just leave the group. Well, guess what? I tried. And then I tried and tried and tried. I have no idea why, but it took almost 24 hours before FB finally let me leave.

This normally wouldn't have been a big deal (although any agreement I would have had with the group was lost before I even knew what it was, since there obviously was no thought or consideration to the consequences of blindly adding tons of people that whoever started this didn't know) but I had just made friends with a member of my dad's family who, even though they were a JW, had been looking for me for years, only to be told by my mom's family that I didn't want anything to do with them. It took my dad's funeral for them to finally be able to contact me. I've been out for over 15 years, and have no contacts or desire to return, but you know what? This member of my family is the only remaining link to my childhood I have that is willing to speak to me. Its not like I want a huge relationship with them, but they are the one and only family member that still wants something to do with me, even though I've made it quite clear I'm not returning. Thank goodness they're not active FB'ers or the rash decisions of whoever would have taken away the one and only link to my past. And, according to at least some on here, that would have been my fault, even though I had no say in the matter.

While I agree with the ideals of this group, even if it hadn't almost jeopardized a relationship I have, the way that things have gone about have completely soured me on them. All of us on here have been hurt by the WTBS, whether we know it or not, and it rightly stirs up some very raw emotions in us. But there's a professional and rational way to come across and present your point (which usually isn't the easiest approach to take) that will positively capture people's attention and create awareness to a very real problem. And then there's the knee-jerk, unbridled, over-the-top irrational way to do it, which, no matter how much in the right you are, will only draw negative attention to your cause, and make the WTBS look more sympathetic to the average person without much info on JWs. Not only did the AAWA take the rash approach, they caused people like the OP harm, and then reacted exactly like the organization they were fighting against would, trying to cover things up and deny. I have every respect for the intent, but zero respect for the execution, and zero respect for the group.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit