FINALLY! Can you prove God exists? If you can I won't ask again!

by punkofnice 544 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

I do not feel, nor am I even in the least bit, superior to anyone - faith or no faith.

But what I said is, nevertheless, true. For example, some of those in the wts lose faith because of the 'jehovah' that is taught. Some do not look beyond the god of the wts; or of the bible/ot; or of religion. Because of what the wts (or some other medium other than Christ) teaches them about God, they conclude that God does not exist. Even though they know that the wts is wrong, for some reason, some people still believe that they taught what was right, at least about the 'god concept'.

Not everyone, obviously. But some.

Peace,

tammy

• humbled
    humbled

The WTS stole our innocence and filled us with a toxic theology.

My whole being is sickened by the battle to regain the simple gratitude felt when, years ago, I met the Goodness that is often called God. God. That word is too loaded with the burdens of centuries of man-made theologies to be of any use some times. I am not comfortable with that word any more than i am with the word Jehovah. WT theology .

So it may seemed a strange anti-dote to recover my faith in that simple Goodness that I would read the writings of yet another theologian.

In reading James Cone, who rejected the prevailing white European theologies in favor of a Black Liberation theology, I was encouraged not to cramp my experience to conform to someone else's story. I do not have to fit my experience with the Good one Jesus spoke of into a church that does not love me and doesn't try to understand me.

I am not saying that picking this theology or that one holds the key to proof of God--Just saying that sometimes we are kicking against ideas of God that are formed to fill the agendas of certain men instead of for ALL PEOPLE. We even have to accept that we may have an experience of ,well, God and still not know much about him/her.

Indoctrination is a heavy burden. I do know Jesus takes that burden off. I just have to stop putting it back on.

I tried to add to the discussion and stay on topic. Thanks for the thread. It helps me think.

Maeve

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Tammy,

Your post is interesting. My theory of the existence of God is that he does exist but within the mind of believers. If that theory is correct it should show up in a couple different ways. There should be nothing that we can objectively measure that would indicate the existence of God as a real external entity. For example the existence of Pluto was theorized before it was actually viewed. The theory the backs our understanding of gravity was used to calculate Pluto's influence and infer existence and then used to actually spot Pluto in the night sky over Flagstaff, AZ.

The second thing that should be true, if my mind-God-theory is correct, is expressions should tend to be ego-centric. I say 'ego-centric' only because I don't know another way to express the idea. I am not meaning to use this phrase in a negative way -- just that thoughts about God should self-reflect. God, in this case, should know you, answer to you, be an intimate companion.

Saying God exists within the mind of believers only, may seem to diminish his stature, but I actually don't think so. It makes God exactly as powerful as the believer is and it turns out humans can accomplish some pretty darn amazing things -- like Ghandi standing up to one of the most poweful nations on earth. Or the monks in Burma taking huge personal risks to engage in political protest.

Here are a few quotes from your post that seemed to me to fit these two categories, first the self-reflection...

"Christ has always been my lifeline. Doubts that I have ever had, have always brought me back to Him. Originally mainly from what He taught; now from what He teaches and speaks. (present tense) I do not believe He is real. I know that He is."

I was particularily struck by saying he speaks to you in the present tense. I assume you don't mean you're literally hearing voices. It seems more like you're saying his teaching resonate with your life in the here and now. Is that what you mean? Also the assertive phase "I know" speaks to internal knowledge and certainty. If my theory is correct, for you to deny the existence of God at this point, would be to deny your own existence. Given that, atheism is simply not going to be rational in this context.

On the inability to objectively measure the existence of God...

"One person cannot prove to another person that there is God. That sort of imperical proof that non-beleivers are asking for. Because you cannot prove the spiritual with tools meant to measure the physical. You have to use different tools."

On the surface it looks like a simple acknowledgement that settling the question of the existence of Pluto is a different task than that for God. Adding the bit about "different tools" and "spiritual tools" is interesting. Some given to thinking in terms of the concrete and literal would simply say these phrases have no real meaning. But to me it more indicates a struggle with trying to express something you know, in a near absolute sense, yet cannot be separated from yourself as an individual. One of the differences that strikes me between believers and non-believers is the degree of self-knowledge. Many believers are certain, they know with little doubt, God exists. Non-believers in almost every case I have observed will say, that they are not certain it can be proven God does not exist.

Lastly, the rational mind...

"But other people lose faith, or set their faith aside, because they do not like what God is (or is not) doing, according to what man has taught them about God. So usually, it is in a false god that they have lost their faith."

Some non-believers might jump at statements like this, to say the conclusion you've reached misses the obvious -- namely that God does not exist -- but even worse it imputes bad motive on the non-believer. But I see this differently. I see this as the believing mind struggling to understand what is essentially a non-rational concept. If you know that God exists, why then do others not believe? This can be made all the more confusing when you meet and interact with non-believers, many of whom you'll discover think and act in much the same way as believers, have the same range of likes, dislikes and morals, etc.

The human mind is constantly seeking to be rational. To make sense of the world around it. For example where your optic nerve connects to the back of your eye it creates two blind spots in your field of vision. But you don't notice them, because your mind simply fills in the void. Other examples of this occur where one is deprived of good information to the senses. You'll see something off in the distance, but not really well enough to recognize it, your mind will just make something up until you get closer to the object. In this context your believing mind is forcing you to come to some conclusion that remains rational. If the non-existence of God is non-rational it must be rejected.

Cheers,

-Randy

• tec
    tec

Hi Rawe!

Here are a few quotes from your post that seemed to me to fit these two categories, first the self-reflection...

Okay then, lets examine them :)

"Christ has always been my lifeline. Doubts that I have ever had, have always brought me back to Him. Originally mainly from what He taught; now from what He teaches and speaks. (present tense) I do not believe He is real. I knowthat He is.".... tec

I was particularily struck by saying he speaks to you in the present tense. I assume you don't mean you're literally hearing voices.

Not voices, no. But I do hear His voice. Not as in with audible ears, but His distinct voice, in spirit, within me. Sometimes in words, sometimes in reminders of scripture that help me to see something He is trying to tell me; sometimes in images or reminders of a known event that will also help me see something; sometimes just in understanding granted.

It seems more like you're saying his teaching resonate with your life in the here and now. Is that what you mean?

This is also true, and came originally, but it is in addition to His voice.

Also the assertive phase "I know" speaks to internal knowledge and certainty.

Yes, true. But someone who knows something, even externally, can state I know... right? There is another reason i speak in personal means... and that is so that others do not think that I am speaking for or judging them. So it is sometimes for others (easier for them to take or leave it, or apply it personally only if they so choose to do so).

If my theory is correct, for you to deny the existence of God at this point, would be to deny your own existence.

I'm not sure how that makes sense? I could deny the existence of God, without denying my own existence. It would not be honest of me anymore, to do so. But I can entertain the theory for arguments sake, so as to see something from another pov.

Given that, atheism is simply not going to be rationale in this context.

True, atheism is not rational for me. But I'm not sure that connects to the above thought.

On the inability to objectively measure the existence of God...

"One person cannot prove to another person that there is God. That sort of imperical proof that non-beleivers are asking for. Because you cannot prove the spiritual with tools meant to measure the physical. You have to use different tools."... tec

On the surface it looks like a simple acknowledgement that settling the question of the existence of Pluto is a different task than that for God. Adding the bit about "different tools" and "spiritual tools" is interesting. Some given to thinking in terms of the concrete and literal would simply say these phrases have no real meaning.

It is different... but I think the concept is the same. Pluto existed even before the tools (those that helped create theories, due to new evidence arising) helped man to discover and see it, concretely. Germs existed even before the tools came along to help us prove their existence.

(I admit that I don't know much about our discovery or theorizing of Pluto to know whether my analogy of that one is correct or not)

But to me it more indicates a struggle with trying to express something you know, in a near absolute sense, yet cannot be seperated from yourself as an individual.

This is very close. I was very excited that you understood... except for the last bit that i bolded, lol.

It can totally be separated from me. But it is a struggle to express something that we do not have the words to express... and we do not often have the words to express something that we have not yet measured, physically. That is why we have the physical, to help explain the spiritual... and why so much is explained in analogy, metaphor, parable. Or sometimes a 'primitive' description that we might think is superstitious nonsense now, but is someone trying to explain a complex topic with the words and understandings of a previous time.

Like 'putting on and taking off the flesh'... (paul's terms in the bible)... describes moving from the physical to the spritual; or matter to energy... and even those descriptions are not yet accurate because we don't have the proper scientific evidence/tools/words.

Like trying to explain how HIV moves through the body, using the language of two thousand years ago. Very specific words are missing. Molecules. DNA. Virus. Immune system. White blood cells. Cells, themselves, lol. And whatever else goes into our current scientific language that would be needed to understand.

One of the differences that strikes me between believers and non-believers is the degree of self-knowledge. Many believers are certain, they know with little doubt, God exists. Non-believers in almost every case I have observed will say, that they are not certain it can be proven God does not exist.

Yes, often this is the case.

Lastly, the rational mind...

"But other people lose faith, or set their faith aside, because they do not like what God is (or is not) doing, according to what man has taught them about God. So usually, it is in a false god that they have lost their faith." ... tec

Some non-believers might jump at statements like this, as if the conclusion you've reached misses the obvious -- namely that God does not exist -- but even worse it imputes bad motive on the non-believer. But I see this differently.

Thank you for not taking offense, as I meant none. And in my original post, I did also say: Some people have no faith because they see no evidence for God.

I see this as the believing mind struggling to understand what is essentially a non-rational concept. If you know that God exists, why then do others not believe?

I don't think it is a struggle, and I don't tend to think that way, though I can see some reasons that other do not believe, as stated. But there could well be reasons that others do not believe. It may be rational for someone to not believe, personally, until they have or have seen some evidence that they are willing to accept.

That does not mean God does not exist. It just means that they are not going to believe He exists without acceptable evidence. That is not irrational. I do think it is irrational to state that just because you (you in general, not you specifically) have not seen evidence, that no one has seen evidence.

This can be made all the more confusing when you meet and interact with non-believers, many of whom you'll discover think and act in much the same way as believers, have the same range of likes, dislikes and morals, etc.

It can be for some. I do not find it to be confusing at all though. Some do, by nature, the things required by the law (of love), regardless of their belief or non-belief.

The human mind is constantly seeking to be rational. To make sense of the world around it. For example where your optic nerve connects to the back of your eye it creates two blind spots in your field of vision. But you don't notice them, because your mind simply fills in the void.

That is very cool, thanks. I did not know that.

Other examples of this occur where one is deprived of good information to the senses. You'll see something off in the distance, but not really well enough to recognize it, your mind will just make something up until you get closer to the object. In this context your believing mind is forcing you to come to some conclusion that remains rational. If the non-existence of God is non-rational it must be rejected.

Also interesting, and I hear what you are saying. Peopel do not (tend to) purposely believe in the irrational.

Peace to you,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Sorry... its not as long as it looks... I just tried to copy your stuff as well, to make my responses more clear.

Peace,

tammy

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for responding detail. If I could ask you to expand just a bit more on this point...

"Not voices, no. But I do hear His voice. Not as in with audible ears, but His distinct voice, in spirit, within me. Sometimes in words, sometimes in reminders of scripture that help me to see something He is trying to tell me; sometimes in images or reminders of a known event that will also help me see something; sometimes just in understanding granted."

What are your circumstances when this voice is most apparent? God-of-the-mind theory would suggest that you'll most often hear God's voice when you're able to shutdown other sensory input. So you'll more likely feel closer to God in quiet circumstance than when you're engrossed in some task. For example closing your eyes while saying a prayer is one way of shutting of input and thus pushing your mind into more internal reflection. Postures and places of meditation work this way too. I would add that being under heavy stress may be an exception to this rule, but for different reasons.

"It can totally be separated from me."

Wow! Okay, I didn't expect that. Allow me to take another run at it. If you and God are really one and the same thing, then you will not be able to separate God from yourself. So, for example, if you and God are the same, you should always feel, without exception, God understands you. It would be truly odd, as per this theory, for you to say, "God just doesn't 'get' me." Of course it is common for believers to say, "I just don't know what the Lord wants for me" -- that would simply reflect the person themselves, is unsure of the best path forward. But what should not happen is a true sense of distance and lack of understanding between you and God, as if you could entertain the idea that there was some physical place, say inside a steel box, where God couldn't reach you, if he wanted to.

In contrast the God-mind theory would allow for God to leave you. This view is reflected in dying words of Jesus where he says, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?", which of course is quote from Psalms. Two things can explain this, one is simply that an expectation of action on God's part fails to materialize and that confuses the believer. Perhaps more likely is a tendency to self-condemn where we feel some action on our part has offended God.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

-Randy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Interesting rawe...I had never looked at belief in god quite like that. Marking to see where this conversation goes.

• tec
    tec

What are your circumstances when this voice is most apparent? God-of-the-mind theory would suggest that you'll most often hear God's voice when you're able to shutdown other sensory input. So you'll more likely feel closer to God in quiet circumstance than when you're engrossed in some task. For example closing your eyes while saying a prayer is one way of shutting of input and thus pushing your mind into more internal reflection. Postures and places of meditation work this way too. I would add that being under heavy stress may be an exception to this rule, but for different reasons.

I don't mean to make anything about semantics, but I just want to make it clear that I hear the voice of Christ. (not the same as God; though certainly one with God) But in answer to your question:

Either/or, it does not seem to make a difference... busy or not busy; reflecting and praying or driving and carrying on conversations, or witnessing for him (often). I am tempted to say that more often, I hear when I am DOING something. Postures and places don't seem to matter either.

If I ask a question, I may also hear His answer right away. So asking something could also be considered a circumstance.

Wow! Okay, I didn't expect that. Allow me to take another run at it.

Okay.

If you and God are really one and the same thing, then you will not be able to separate God from yourself.

Okay... but I am being reminded now of how Christ prayed for believers to be one. So being one with someone... does not mean that you ARE that person.

So, for example, if you and God are the same, you should always feel, without exception, God understands you.

Well, as long as I understand me, right?

I do not always understand me, lol, or what might motivate me... but yes, I do believe that God understands me, as well as understanding everyone else, even when I do not know or understand myself. He would know me better than I know me, and my Lord has shown me things about myself that I did not realize were in me. (such as jealousy, or something, so you have an idea of what I am talking about)

It would be truly odd, as per this theory, for you to say, "God just doesn't 'get' me."

It would be, yes, lol. I also would not say that.

Of course it is common for believers to say, "I just don't know what the Lord wants for me" -- that would simply reflect the person themselves, is unsure of the best path forward. But what should not happen is a true sense of distance and lack of understanding between you and God, as if you could get entertain the idea that there was some physical place, say inside a steel box, where God couldn't reach you, if he wanted to.

That could reflect that, as per your theory. It could also reflect that the two are not the same being.

In contrast the God-mind theory would allow for God to leave you. This view is reflected in dying words of Jesus where he says, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?", which of course is quote from Psalms. Two things can explain this, one is simply that an expectation of action on God's part fails to materialize and that confuses the believer. Perhaps more likely is a tendency to self-condemn where we feel some action on our part has offended God.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.

In the God-mind theory, God could leave a person? Is this the opposite of what you have been saying, that God and the person would be inseparable and the same? I could be misunderstanding you, sorry. Perhaps you could rephrase? Thanks : )

Peace to you,

tammy

• humbled
    humbled

I, too, am watching. I enjoy the manner of dialogue.

Thanks, you two.

• tec
    tec

Well, i am off to bed... so until tomorrow then, and thanks Maeve. I also appreciate the manner of this conversation, Rawe, so thank you for that.

Peace all,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit