Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• sabastious
    sabastious

She was probably totally insane and no one really knew until she had too much power and nothing could be done about it without losing religious PR. One's religion can be a means of hiding one's insanity. She really serves as an example of just how much power mainstream religion has. Her story, the real one, is simply chillingly dark.

-Sab

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm not one to criticise mt for shortcomings in her care of the sick, dying or hopeless. Sometimes a dying person just needs a pleasant place to spend their last times. Working with people like that, day in day out would be depressing for the most stoic, never mind a sensitive person. I'm also not one to criticise her for where she aquired money. However, on the atheist issue, here are some quotes from the time mag article:

"Similarly, she wonders whether she is engaged in verbal deception. "I spoke as if my very heart was in love with God — tender, personal love," she remarks to an adviser. "If you were [there], you would have said, 'What hypocrisy.'""

"But to the U.S.'s increasingly assertive cadre of atheists, that argument will seem absurd. They will see the book's Teresa more like the woman in the archetypal country-and-western song who holds a torch for her husband 30 years after he left to buy a pack of cigarettes and never returned. Says Christopher Hitchens, author of The Missionary Position, a scathing polemic on Teresa, and more recently of the atheist manifesto God Is Not Great: "She was no more exempt from the realization that religion is a human fabrication than any other person, and that her attempted cure was more and more professions of faith could only have deepened the pit that she had dug for herself.""

1959 - "But my prayer of union is not there any longer — I no longer pray.""

"The atheist position is simpler. In 1948, Hitchens ventures, Teresa finally woke up, although she could not admit it. He likens her to die-hard Western communists late in the cold war: "There was a huge amount of cognitive dissonance," he says. "They thought, 'Jesus, the Soviet Union is a failure, [but] I'm not supposed to think that. It means my life is meaningless.' They carried on somehow, but the mainspring was gone. And I think once the mainspring is gone, it cannot be repaired." That, he says, was Teresa."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1655720,00.html#ixzz2D6L1ivWl

For hitchens, she was as good as atheist. Whatever the case, her cognitive dissonence shows clearly the codiss that many christians feel. Imo, most christians are less honest w themselves than mt was. Within herself, she recognised her hypocracy. Outwardly, she maintained the facade of belief. I sympathise w her plight.

S

• still thinking
    still thinking

I sympathize with the plight of all those she claimed to help, who died needlessly painful deaths, and of those who maybe could have sought treatment but were left to die. Because she believed it was better for them to be in heaven.

Her religious/spiritual dilemma was her problem.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

"super secret room"

LOL--I've seen this anger at anything private or not open to the public brought up here quite a bit. Now I see it's an issue for these people. What is it about private that brings out the ominous "SUPER SECRET" allegations? LOL. It's amusing.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.

THIS is one of my biggest complaints against her, although there are many. When a 15-year-old boy was dying of a kidney problem that could have been treated with antibiotics, but wasn't, and had progressed to the need for surgery, visitors asked if the boy could be sent to the hospital. He WOULD HAVE lived, but their answer was, no, if you do it for one you have to do it for all. But I'm sure they said it in a kindly voice and dabbed his brow and he died a needless, painful death. So sweet.

I bet that 50 mil that she mostly invested in nunneries around the world with her name on them could have gone a long way in curing the curable.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Mother Teresa is among Roman Catholics as the Blood Policy is among Jehovah's Witnesses. When you're in, you think it's the best thing in the world, when you actually critically look at it you see it's a vile attempt at controlling the masses by the mentally insane leaders.

Unnecessary deaths, improper medical care and attempts at rebranding their image in the name of religious freedom.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Anonymous: unnecessary deaths, improper medical and attempts at rebranding their image in the name of religious freedom.

Yes. Believers here have no problem denouncing the wt for those things, but god forbid if an atheist denounces mother Theresa.....

The question I see isn't : why are atheists denouncing mother Theresa, .......it is : why aren't believers?

And just for the record, I knew all this about mother Theresa when I was a witness.

• glenster
  • Chariklo
    Chariklo

Well. How wonderful is that! Palm tree knew all this when she was a witness. Are we supposed to be impressed?

Hang on, you knew it all when you were a witness? And you were still a witness?

The double-thinking among this group of evangelical atheists never ceases to amaze me. How much more like kicking someone when they're down can you get than all this stuff about Mother Teresa?

These are the same atheists that I watched on their own...private...we are not allowed to call a secret site a secret site, because its owner objects (see above) the same atheists and the same owner who complained bitterly about bullying (of atheists), who happily and at length called Shelby (AGuest) a bully, who will hound, in pack mode, individuals across this forum and can be watched as they do, and who have the perfect target in a dead nun, who devoted her life to poverty and the care of the poorest. They scorn and deride her and her work.

They jeer at her spiritual difficulties, and they can do that almost without challenge on this ex-Jehovah's Witness site, because, by and large, the Watchtower knows nothing of spirituality. They have never heard of the dark night of the soul and are unaware of the spiritual struggles that so many who were later pronounced saints underwent in their lifetimes.

I first became aware of these brave atheists when they were complaining about discrimination against them. Tell me, any who are reading here, have you seen any discrimination against atheists on this board? Do you see any believers attacking the right of atheists not to believe? Do you see anyone attacking them for lack of research or evidence for their atheist creed?

These courageous atheists strive valiantly against....what? They robustly attack before they have had any need to defend. Anyone with a belief or a faith has only got to turn up on a thread for them to start. There are the ones we know who'll come out with devilish logic and scientific proof. All of them will quote science (as if there were any quarrel between science and faith) and utter their mantra "Research! Evidence!"

Here in this thread they are in that seventh heaven whose existence they deny. They have the perfect target. Dead, unable to answer for herself, as if she ever would, Catholic, (always good for an extra kicking point) and currently attracting Internet-wide criticism. The fact that it is criticism from a very well-defined, largely atheist quarter can be conveniently overlooked, as they will overlook or suitably forget any "evidence" that doesn't suit their cause.

So here we have a self-proclaimed victim group (remember they were complaining about being discriminated against and calling AGuest a bully not many months ago) who now roam in packs across this forum, backing off occasionally when reproved but always regrouping and coming again from another angle. It's the same, few, predictable names, as always. I noticed a page or so back that they even turn on brand new forum members if they don't seem to be shaping up along atheist (for which read the particular brand of atheist found on this forum), pack-following lines.

So now they've homed in on Mother Teresa. We shouldn't be surprised, really. Who'll be next? Padre Pio? St Francis? Albert Schweitzer? The Queen?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Char, you are one angry person. How you distorts things, and then keep them going is just amazing. Why are you bringing up other forums in a negative light? I thought we were not allowed to do that. I can go and find the post if you like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit