Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Tec.... in all the years I have known you , I have never once seen you accept a piece of evidence contrary to your world view lying down, you fight it to the bitter end. This I like in people. As long as they hold such high standards of scrutiny of evidence in all areas of their life.

With regard to MT, it isnt that complicated. We know the Catholic church teaches suffering, all christians do " Persevere! Endure! Better to suffer with Christ than rejoice without Him!" (Catholic Online)

The woman had her own ideas on suffeing and its reward. We believe she was wrong and wrong to enforce them on those most in need. I dont think you would disagree, so whats to argue?

I find it odd that now I am not a 'believer' this is the first time in years I have contemplated 'suffering'. What an odd perspective on the world. What is suffering? A person with a chronic disease is suffering, but they are alive! A man without a job is suffering as may his family be, but he is not looking for sources of income on a pile of trash in Africa as many, many people will be as we speak! We so easily define suffering as something that others would wish for!

Very few people actually really suffer. I work in hospitals all day and though I see people struggle, they do so in appreciation of life and they by-enlarge want to extend that life. If it was such a life of suffering, then who would want that?

It is such a melancholic curse of religion to label life as a challenge, a storm of struggles and fights for which we need a church and saviour to guide us through. It is nonsense! The tribes of the amazon, yet to meet a bible or a Quaran, eat sleep, poop, have sex and if they can find the right leaves, have a boogie every now and then! The biggest source of suffering today ?????? Religious texts !

As a JW I felt a victim to an 'unforseen occurence'. A car accident that physically pains me to this day. Now it is just an aggrevation that I strive to live with as I recognise the value of each day. I am not suffering, I am fortunate to be alive!

Snare.

Ok back to MT.... I am glad she was not my nurse. (pulled the topic back at the end!)

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

What have these so called humanists ever done to help the poor, sick and suffering?

Charities, soup kitchens, food drives, bought food and clothing for needy families, ran 5Ks and raised money. Why do you ask?

Leave mother Theresa alone for f*cks sake, pick on the real problems and evildoers in the world.

She did some pretty horrible things.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"pick on the real problems and evildoers in the world."

Shall we start with the Nazi pope who thinks condoms cause aids? The child raping priests? The bible verses that condone genocide, slavery, kidnap, rape.....

Erm who exactly are the evil ones we should be 'attacking'? Darth Vader doesnt exist you know... AND he became good!

Mother Teresa is held in high regard, a saint of the church. Her fraud and ceebration of suffering for Jesus was evil and we are quite within our right to discuss it.

What have atheists that make you puke done for the world? You dont know? Well, I dont either, why?..... WE DONT KEEP A TAB !

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

The level of self hatred atheists have is so evident on this thread. Its outwardly manifest when they attemp to tear down the legacy of those did good for others because of their love for God. Atheists simply lack the same positive track record.

• tec
    tec

I dont think you would disagree, so whats to argue?

I don't disagree. This is not about agreeing with what she believed.

The only thing that i am arguing against is that she is the monster that some are making her out to be.

The media very often paints the picture that we want to see.

I don't buy into it either way. There are two very different pictures painted here. She is probably just human who did her best to help in the best way she knew how.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The level of self hatred atheists have is so evident on this thread. Its outwardly manifest when they attemp to tear down the legacy of those did good for others because of their love for God. Atheists simply lack the same positive track record.

I wonder what it must be like to live the fantasy land of made up BS you inhabit, so devoid of facts, reality, the ability to make informed decisions.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"Atheists simply lack the same positive track record"

What do you do that is so amazing?

I have given food to the homeless, worked the homeless bus in a city. I have volunteered in charities and work tirelessly to become a doctor. I am also working in my spare time on medical technology that will save hundreds of thousands of lives a year, especially in developing countries.

I also contribute to medical science with research.

Sorry theocratic sedition.... you were saying?

You do realise that you are being very prejudice with your broad strokes. It is akin to racism or homophobia. You dont know us. It is common knowledge that MT did bad things. It is not our fault and we are not under your reigious restriction, such topics are free for us to discuss.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

You only deny the obvious, but as do many atheists you lack humility and subsequently lack faith as well which causes you to fail in seeing that which is right in front of you. It damages your world view that there are people who's love for God motivates them to do that which you do not. The meager attempts that atheists make to benefit their fellow human is typically done out of selfishness.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Yadda Yadda 2:

What have these so called humanists ever done to help the poor, sick and suffering?

From wikipedia:

Norman Ernest Borlaug (March 25, 1914 – September 12, 2009 [1] ), "The Man Who Saved A Billion Lives", was an American agronomist, humanitarian , and Nobel laureate who has been called "the father of the Green Revolution". [2] Borlaug was one of six people to have won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal. [3] He was awarded the Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian honor. [4] Borlaug received his Ph.D. in plant pathology and genetics from the University of Minnesota in 1942. He took up an agricultural research position in Mexico, where he developed semi-dwarf, high-yield, disease-resistant wheatvarieties.

During the mid-20th century, Borlaug led the introduction of these high-yielding varieties combined with modern agricultural production techniques to Mexico, Pakistan, and India. As a result, Mexico became a net exporter of wheat by 1963. Between 1965 and 1970, wheat yields nearly doubled in Pakistan and India, greatly improving the food security in those nations. [5] These collective increases in yield have been labeled the Green Revolution, and Borlaug is often credited with saving over a billion people worldwide from starvation. [6] He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply.

Later in his life, he helped apply these methods of increasing food production to Asia and Africa. [7]

All you have to do is google "saved a billion people" and you don't get Mother Teresa... you don't get Jesus Christ...

You get a humanitarian scientist you probably never heard of.

- Lime

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I do good because I think its a good thing to do do, not because I think it will please a man in the sky!

I think we all have selfish motives at some level, whether it be reward from god or going to bed at night feeling good about our deeds. Its being human. If you act 100% for others, you are not human or a liar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit