Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• james_woods
    james_woods

No, it came up as an outrage post by a devout Roman Catholic on my Ferrari site, Beks.

There are a lot of Catholic Ferrari owners still uncomfortable with the fact that Enzo refused last rites from the Pope.

I personally am really rather repelled by the image versus the reality of Mother Teresa - I wish people would use this example to try to clean up big-media charity efforts rather than create a modern-day saint.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Show the atheists on this board a bandwagon and they'll jump onto it faster than you can say Richard Dawkins.

SO predictable.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Charliko - I am an agnostic, and I wrote this thread to show dismay at rampant atheistic hate speech.

Mother Teresa was no saint - it is clear. However:

I do not think that the kind of lunatic hate mentioned in the original post serves anybody in any useful way.

• designs
    designs

The atheists at Dartmouth may be a lot like we as JWs when we made that leap away from religion. Perhaps some of these college students are finally expressing their anger at religion and religious celebrities for the first time.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Mother Theresa provided NO comfort to those dying. She watched them die in pain so that she could benefit spiritually from the pain of others.

She made the Roman Catholic church A LOT of money....why wouldn't they want to canonize her?

She created a place where people could be left to die...nothing more. So instead of them staying with their families where they would actually be cared for, they were left with no care. Just left on stretchers (not even proper beds) to die painful deaths. They were not like our hospices where they are given palliative care, pain relief etc. They were left to die.

The bulk of the money she raised from donations was given to the CHURCH, and to pay for nunneries etc.

There is no reason to respect this woman. No reason at all. She falsely received money from people who wanted to help the dying and made the church even more wealthy than it already is.

Some people like the fantasy of Mother Theresa (I choke on the word mother in this instance), The Catholic church certainly does. I'm sure they'd like to see more people like her, out there making them money for their multi billion dollar business.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

James, I think it's self-defeating for the more militant of modern atheists to launch organized attacks against entrenched believers' heros, even if those heros are exposed frauds.

Instead of focusing on the many documented negatives, we agnostics would do better to focus on the profound *positives* of post-deity secular living here-and-now in the 21st century, and moving forward.

How many here would do that? would do the one thing that a leper has the least of, the pleasure of human touch.

PSacramento, I love your question. Father Damien! He "won recognition for his ministry to people with leprosy, who had been placed under a government-sanctioned medical quarantine on the island of Moloka'i in the Kingdom of Hawai'i."

Author Robert Louis Stevenson's defense of the man, regardless of Damien's certain human flaws, is well worth a read.

But Mother Teresa? Like the many sad RC nuns my ancestors knew, she was a dysfunctional unit. On overdrive. That wretched witch became drunk on her growing power to deceive the faithful. I regard her in the same "class" as Judge Rutherford: Deliberate Psychopath.

Although I no longer count myself amongst "believers," I am willing to give credit where due for selfless acts, for lives given over in service and sacrifice to help others who are doomed not by their own hand, but by circumstances they cannot fix, change or control.

Father Damien appears (to me) to have achieved that as best he could, and if he was able to accomplish so much within the framework of a church that pretty much abandoned him as an individual, well, no one else was stepping up to the plate. The government's penal colony solution was less a solution than a further punishment when you examine the particulars.

Stevenson was a man after my own heart. He CHOSE not to differentiate. Yet held the naysayers to task, on just the same exact same PERSONAL level that they attacked Damien. When he SAW Damien's miserable lifework, he recognized what it meant to be a human helping humans regardless of church affiliation. I'd like to think that today, I could add "or none at all" to that last sentence: Church affiliation, or none at all.

Damien ran the race, may he rest in peace. There is no doubt in my mind, that he too came full circle to understand that "God" was not there in the end.

Teresa, that hustler and swindler? She figured it out early and knew it all along.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I think she has been grossly misreprented, James. My comment was not directed at you or the opening post. It is not your doing that the thread, predictably, degenerated as it did.

Just the same old stuff that the same old people never get tired of.

On past experience this won't be the last of it.

The little atheist group on this board just love to flock to a witch hunt! All on the basis of...what? Do they know these facts first hand? Improbable.

Are they aware of the fact that one British politician is suing very single person who continued the libel against him by tweeting and retweeting what turned out to be lies?

Oh, but it doesn't matter what they say about Mother Theresa, does it? She's dead.

Do they know first hand all the things they type out with such relish here? Did they meet her? Did they talk to her? Did they work alongside her? Do they know, first hand, anyone who did?

Will that even make them pause, or change their tune? I doubt it.

• cofty
    cofty

Chariklo maybe you could offer some content on occasions as opposed to vague put-downs of people you don't agree with.

MT was an odiouis little busybody who did more harm than good. What is your repsonse to that?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I suppose there exist people who think Theresa's Nobel Prize was awarded in error, while the President's was not...sulla

I don't really understand why he was given the Nobel Peace Prize either.

• cofty
    cofty

Our posts overlapped Chariklo. The facts about MT and her cult of poverty are well documented. I have read the evidence, have you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit