Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• talesin
    talesin

Brinjen

why no criticism for the Salvation Army?

I criticized the Salvation Army once, a few months ago. Yep, I got shouted down real quick. Despite the fact that at least here, where I live, there are NO FREE BEDS at their shelter. If you can't pony up the nightly fee (about $15), you are turned away. If you need a mattress, it costs $200, if you go to their Thrift Store (to which everything is donated free), you pay for what you get - it is a money-making operation. Their long-term rehab facility is given a per diem from the government for each bed. etc. etc.

Some people do not want to know the truth about the reality of these organizations. I no longer waste my time.

My criticism of MT would be that she was a publicity schill for the RC, and raised millions of dollars that went to the Church. So what if she didn't 'control' the funds? She knew where the money was going, and for me, the fact that she participated in the whole sham (and reaped personal benefits) makes her complicit.

tal

• cofty
    cofty

It's not sainthood material, but I'm struggling with a terminal illness myself, so it's all I can manage.

Sizemik I had no idea!!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Seriously? Size?

Loz x

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Wow, Tali, SA charges for their rooms in Canada? That's crazy. I know they don't charge for the rooms in my area, because I know someone that ended up there. Still, it accepted men only, was rather dangerous, and my friend got robbed. Perhaps that was unavoidable.

But they do open thrift stores around here, and I have to side with you on this. I walked around and was very surprised at how high their prices were. I was looking for a table and found the private--for profit---thrift stores were cheaper. In the end, even buying it new on sale was going to cost only a few dollars more than used at the S.A.

Beyond that, I don't know much about their operation. Except that confounded bell. I hate that bell at Christmas time. Yeah, I know, bah hum bug, but for heaven's sake, assaulting people with this horrible bell is no way to make them feel generous! LOL

• talesin
    talesin

NC

Wow, Tali, SA charges for their rooms in Canada? That's crazy. I know they don't charge for the rooms in my area, because I know someone that ended up there. Still, it accepted men only, was rather dangerous, and my friend got robbed. Perhaps that was unavoidable.

Ah, yes, but I have to wonder if those rooms are subsidized by the government on a per diem basis..... ? As they are in the residential facility here that is for alcoholics.

They also give out food one day a week (which they receive from the Food Bank, also supported by free donations and government subsidies).

t

• eva luna
    eva luna

sizemik

I'm sorry to hear you are so sick. In spite of this, you do so much for others. Friends and strangers.

In my book you are 'sainthood material'. You have my admiration.

If I could, I would give you a big hug.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Size, you have a pm on the other board.

• still thinking
    still thinking

tal...the Salvation army in NZ is now heavily funded and controlled by the Govt.

The courts use them to send addicts instead of sending them to prison...they go to 'rehab'. Which has a very low success rate. My partner booked himself into thier bridge program as part of his recovery. He is the only one that is still sober from the group he was there with. And that's because he actually wanted to give up. I'm not saying they didn't help him. But it doesn't help people who are forced to go there. In fact, it causes major distractions and disruption for those who are wanting the help. And it causes huge waiting lists as the court appointed people get in first.

Govt also dictates who can receive food parcels from the Salvation army and how often (no more than twice a year). And the food is donated not paid for by govt.

I would rather donate to the baptist city mission in NZ, at least they aren't dictated to by govt, and people who need food get it, regardless of how often they need the help.

• sizemik
    sizemik

And that's because he actually wanted to give up. . . . ST

That's the problem they have Still

A low success rate is inevitable when people are forced into it by the courts. The Sallies are not that well funded by Govt. when you consider their size and workload.

A huge number of Govt. facilities have shrunk or closed down completely . . . they've simply shovelled the problem on to someone else . . . volunteers who are not all fully qualified or trained. It's either the sallies or next stop . . . the corrections dept. They've been handed a dud because nobody else has the facilities or will to take it on. I've worked with many volunteers in that org who pour personal resources into helping unwilling, unthankful, complete strangers. None have ever tried to preach to me. I have nothing but respect for them.

• still thinking
    still thinking

There are always good people sizemik...but overall what is the point of sending people somewhere where the success rate is dismill. A bit of a waste of resources? The bulk of the people being taken in are now from the courts. My father was also helped by the Salvation Army, he made some good friends there when he finally stopped drinking in his 70's, he also contributed to helping out by being the cook at bridge house (Grafton). He lived there until just before he died.

Take Higher Ground...they have much less Govt funding and a higher success rate. They have paid professionals and most of the money is from donations. They do take some people from the courts. They have the odd ones on home detention. But the criteria to get in is high. You have to want to stop. And they aren't fools, they know all the tricks. Trust me, I've been to thier interview process with my partner who at the time was pretending to want to stop. It was a no go, my partner tried to blame me at the time for not getting in and them not helping him. But that was bullshit. He wasn't ready, and they weren't goint to waste precious resources on someone that was trying to manipulate them.

John Key (our Prime minister) and Paula Bennet made an appearance there a few weeks ago. Hopefully, they will continue to have minimum say on how the place is run.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit