Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Benjie - its not an internet rumour. Do some research.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was appalled when I read about what she meant when she said she was helping the dying. She meant exactly that, she wasn't interested in saving life, she simply took them into her institute so they could die there. When we hear about these famous people we can easily misinterpret what is being said. I thought helping the dying meant trying to save lives, and easing the pain and discomfort of those who couldn't be saved. That isn't what she meant at all. She felt there was no point in trying to save them when they would be better off in heaven.

• NewChapter
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

I suppose there exist people who think Theresa's Nobel Prize was awarded in error, while the President's was not.

Actually, I never quite understood why Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. I am still unclear on why it was awareded. I tended to think it was more about stated philosophy than action, and I think it should be based on the actions of an individual. However it didn't really bother me that he won, simply because I think he has acted well in the international stage. So whatever.

Here was a woman who got off on other people's suffering so that she could achieve her spiritual high. She was a horrible person who denied health care to the dying---and not all of them had to die except for the intervention of this lovely saint---and had them live their lives out on cots in a room, allowed no visitors in their dying days, not friends, not family. She took the bulk of that money donated to her to build nunneries around the world that bore her name. Not to help the poor and suffering. She wanted them to suffer, because she had some sick idea that being exposed to their suffering brought her closer to her god. She could have allieviated much suffering, and instead, she chose not to take those steps.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

No good deed goes unpunished.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My therapist is a Dominican nun as well as an engineer who went on to become a doctor of psychology. She is very forward thinking and progressive. She told me that Mother Teresa experienced "the dark night of the soul." She said the hype about her losing faith or being agnostic is greatly sensationalized.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

that hitchens article was pretty interesting.

let me play devil's advocate.

is it possible mother teresa did the best she could within her upbringing?

we were jehovah's witnesses. how many of us saw the kids who grew up to be complete dicks as ministerial servants or elders?

ifshe was the "best" that her environment produced, can you really blame her? i don't know if i blame the dick ministerial servant as much as the corporation his mind is enslaved to. of course i have my limits :P

either way, that article was interesting and so was the video. gotta read up on that stuff

• Terry
    Terry

Well, I'm in a pickle on this one.

I always thought Mother Teresa was what her PR said she was. Then...I read Christopher Hitchens animadversion about her and it stopped me

in my tracks.

What happens when a beloved (because of great PR) public figure is "called out"?

It can be perceived as hateful and unfounded.

So, apart from all that...

Being publicly critical is bad manners no matter who the target is.

If the criticism is true there may not be an acceptable delivery of the bad news.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    So, apart from all that...
    Being publicly critical is bad manners no matter who the target is.
    If the criticism is true there may not be an acceptable delivery of the bad news.

I don't understand, Terry - you surely cannot mean that being publicly critical of Hitler is bad manners?

(* no - gentle readers - a point of logic. James is NOT comparing Teresa to Hitler *)

• still thinking
    still thinking

Is letting the dying die in pain because you don't believe they should have pain relief bad manners?

Would you still donate to that charity if you knew they were allowing people to die painfully?

Or would you donate to a charity that actually helps dying people?

I am not speaking against ALL catholic hospices. My mother went into one in Auckland for her final two weeks. They were amazing. They gave her medication to stop her vommiting (she had stomach cancer), and they gave her pain relief. They made her final days as comfortable as possible. And they respected the families wishes. They even called in an Anglican priest to do her last rights. Their aim was clearly to respect the patient and families wishes.

Mother Teresa did none of this. I would not donate to her charity. And I don't see why the general public should show good manners about someone that only seemed to care about themself. And where their money goes to support the vatican.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit