Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Better daze, of course Father Damien had human flaws. He was human. Show me a human without.

You know for a fact that Mother Teresa was a wretched witch, do you? You, personally, can prove she was a hustler and a swindler, can you?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    I think we have pretty much settled the debate here - and concluded that while Mother Teresa may have meant well (at least in the beginning) - she evidenced a sad disregard for the people she was supposed to be helping. And very possibly, a good measure of hypocrisy at the end of it.
    I presented this latest protest as an example of how atheist protests can take on far to much shrill hate, and really work against whatever merit they might have had to say.

depends on your perspective.

hitler may have meant well in the beginning. try telling that to the jews though, i'm sure they know a place where he could stick his intentions.

as they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

i don't know enough her to have an opinion on her actions. nor am i equating her with hitler.

• still thinking
    still thinking

This is not a witch hunt...some people just don't like to hide the facts because they don't suppport our belief.

Mother Theresa was not a saint...she was a money making machine. The bulk of that money never got to the dying. It went to the church.

She was not kind and loving, and many people that have worked with the woman have attested to that fact.

She believed that she received gods grace by witnessing other peoples pain. She was not giving to others, she was giving to herself. She thought SHE benefitted.

Its just like those monks that spend thier lives contemplating god and life whilst the community gives them money and food. They are not providing any service to others, they are leaches on society. THEY are the ones benefitting because THEY are the ones being supported by others to do what THEY want to do.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Well said, hades, well said. We do not know enough, and against all the nasty stuff that the usual names trot out in the usual way I have to put, for myself, my first hand encounters with people I know who went out to India, met her and spent time working with her. They told a very different story.

I wasn't there, but these are people I know and respect, and I heard it from them myself.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Just like the monks, still thinking? Just like the sanctimonious people who happily and complacently condemn someone by saying "the bulk of that money never got to the dying. It went to the church."

Not, you note, "I have read that.." or " so and so says that..." Just a flat statement that it is so.

i presume you, personally, have proof?

• still thinking
    still thinking

The bulk of the millions she made went the church charkilo...go do some research.

And while your doing that....find out where she got some of that money from.

Here's one of her hospices...would you send your mother here?

• cofty
    cofty

Do your research Chaiklo and then you can defend her.

The evidence against her is very compelling.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I n 1981 , Teresa flew to Haiti to accept the Legion d'Honneur from the right-wing dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier , who, after his ouster, was found to have stolen millions of dollars from the impoverished country. There she said that the Duvaliers "loved their poor," and that "their love was reciprocated."

In 1987 Teresa visited Albania and visited the grave of the former Communist dictatorEnver Hoxha. Critics said her actions compromised her perceived moral authority through unwise and controversial political associations; however, her supporters defended such associations, saying she had to deal with political realities of the time in order to lobby for her causes. By the time of her death, the Missionaries of Charity had houses in most Communist countries.

Critics also cite the case of Charles Keating, who stole in excess of US$252 million in the Savings and Loan scandal of the 1980s, and who had donated $1.25 million to Mother Teresa's order. Teresa interceded on his behalf and wrote a letter to the court urging leniency. The district attorney responded in private and asked her to return the money, which she declined.

She also accepted money from the British publisher Robert Maxwell, who, as was later revealed, embezzled UKĀ£450 million from his employees' pension funds. There is no suggestion that she was aware of any theft before accepting the donation in either case; criticism instead focuses on Teresa's plea for leniency in the Keating case, her refusal to return the money, and the lack of media investigations of her relationships to these individuals.

• still thinking
    still thinking

At a 1981 press conference in which she was asked: "Do you teach the poor to endure their lot?" She replied: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

• still thinking
    still thinking

Chatterjee added that the public image of Mother Teresa as a "helper of the poor" was misleading, and that only a few hundred people are served by even the largest of the homes. According to a Stern magazine report about Mother Teresa, the (Protestant)Assembly of God charity serves 18,000 meals daily in Calcutta, many more than all the Mission of Charity homes together.

Chatterjee alleged that many operations of the order engage in no charitable activity at all but instead use their funds for missionary work. He stated, for example, that none of the eight facilities that the Missionaries of Charity run in Papua New Guinea have any residents in them, being purely for the purpose of converting local people to Catholicism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit