Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• still thinking
    still thinking

Quality of medical care

Dr. Robin Fox, editor of the British medical journal The Lancet visited the Home for Dying Destitutes in Calcutta and described the medical care the patients received as "haphazard". He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to take decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Dr. Fox specifically held Teresa responsible for conditions in this home, and observed that her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.

Fox conceded that the regimen he observed included cleanliness, the tending of wounds and sores, and kindness, but he noted that the sisters' approach to managing pain was "disturbingly lacking". The formulary at the facility Fox visited lacked stronganalgesics which he felt clearly separated Mother Teresa's approach from the hospice movement. There have been a series of other reports documenting inattention to medical care in the order's facilities. Similar points of view have also been expressed by some former volunteers who worked for Teresa's order.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Well said, hades, well said. We do not know enough, and against all the nasty stuff that the usual names trot out in the usual way I have to put, for myself, my first hand encounters with people I know who went out to India, met her and spent time working with her. They told a very different story.
    I wasn't there, but these are people I know and respect, and I heard it from them myself.

i'm leery of doing that as well. when we're close to someone that we lose, our perspective is colored somewhat. ok i can't speak for everyone, but i think you get my idea.

really though, what action is 100% altruistic? i wrote an essay once about education and why i valued it. i don't think anyone would say that learning more is ever a bad thing. i wrote that i wanted to get my degree so that i could have a nice job and get booty. good idea, totally wrong reason. same deal for EVERYTHING i ever did as a du(m)b. field service, study, everything was done so i could make it to paradise. never loved god one iota. though i tried...even prayed on it :P did the "right thing" for all the wrong reasons. story of my life. part of it at least ;) i think airing out grievances is a good thing. you can't fix a problem if you can't be honest about it. emotions are complex. if you think about love, for instance. many of us have been in some form of an abusive relationship. whether it was parents, siblings, children, spouses...i personally think of my parents, my mother in particular. she raised me with the best intentions. she sacraficed a LOT to provide the best possible life for me. there's just the tiny matter of the cult brainwashing that blew everything apart. all those god intentions paving the road i, all of us really, walked on. protesting while proposing solutions to the problems is a better way of going about things. airing out grievances without solutions is just a bunch of hot air. she could have been an evil witch. wouldn't surprise me one bit. she could also have been human, done some marvelous things, and screwed up marvelously in others. or, she could be anyone of the million shades of grey in between. i think only she will ever really know 100% and her lips are kinda sealed. nun pun totally intended. all levels of it

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

The public image of MT is very skewed. Most people don't know the reality.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Destination of donations

It has been alleged by former employees of Mother Teresa's order that Teresa refused to authorize the purchase of medical equipment, and that donated money was instead transferred to the Vatican Bank for general use, even if it was specifically earmarked for charitable purposes. See Missionaries of Charity for a detailed discussion of these allegations. Mother Teresa did not disclose her order's financial situation except where she was required to do so by law.

http://mousely.com/encyclopedia/Missionaries_of_Charity/

Diversion of donations

Some critics alleged that Mother Teresa and her followers accepted donations specifically earmarked to and the sick and the poor, but that the funds were used for non-charitable purposes, particularly evangelism. Some of these complaints amount to accusations of fraud.

The Missionaries of Charity do not disclose either the sources of their funds or details of how they are spent. A 1998 article in the popular German Stern weekly quoted a witness account according to which the order received about US$50 million a year in donations on its New York account alone. Other journalists have given estimates of US$100 million a year for its global operations. Critics have argued that these sums far exceed the modest needs of the order, which offers little medical help and is staffed by nuns and volunteers. Furthermore, volunteers have stated that they were specifically instructed not to use the money to purchase medical equipment.

Critics have maintained that the majority of the money donated to the order is transferred to the Istituto per Opere Religiosi (colloquially known as the Vatican Bank) inRome, where it is used by the Catholic Church for its general purposes, or is transferred to non-Christian countries for missionary work. Susan Shields, a former employee of the Missionaries of Charity in the United States, alleged that even when donors explicitly marked money as, for example, "for the hungry in Ethiopia", she was instructed not to send the money to Africa, while still writing receipts with the text "For Ethiopia". Under the laws regulating charities in most countries, this would amount to fraud and/or theft.

In the United Kingdom, where the law requires charitable organisations to disclose their expenditures, an audit in 1991 concluded that only 7% of the total income of about US$2.6 million went into charitable spending, with the rest being remitted to the Vatican Bank.

Another former Missionary of Charity worker, Eva Kolodziej, has said: "You should visit the House in New York, then you'll understand what happens to donations. In the cellar of the homeless shelter there are valuable books, jewellery and gold. What happens to them? The sisters receive them with smiles, and keep them. Most of these lie around uselessly forever." The implication was one of mismanagment of donations and a failure to turn non-financial donations into liquid assets for use in looking after the poor.

Conditions in the homes

Mary Louden, who had spent time as a volunteer worker in one of the mission's homes, wrote in May 3 1992 issue of The Guardian that the home at Kalighat consisted of two rooms, each with around 40 patients in stretcher beds, sandwiched between pieces of green plastic and small, scratchy blankets. She reported that on admission the patients' heads were shaved, their clothes and any possessions removed. Patients wore only a knee-length western-style overall that tied at the neck and was open at the back. Louden described the food as nutritionally inadequate and unvaried, the water disease-ridden, and the volunteers largely unable to speak Bengali, the local language. Patients were left with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Families were strongly discouraged from visiting their relatives at the home.

In one case of a patient who died of tuberculosis, Louden reported being told by an American doctor working at Kalighat that the patient might have lived if she had received some hospital treatment. Louden described Mother Teresa's policy as one of non-intervention, in which God decided who was to live and who was to die, and people were better off in heaven than in the operating theatre. Louden believed that Mother Teresa and her sisters declined to use their influence and income to finance a properly equipped hospital, instead devoting their efforts to ensure that everyone (regardless of creed) received a good Catholic funeral.

Allegations of torture

A Calcutta priest, Debi Charan Haldar, gave an interview in the December 1990 issue of Calcutta Skyline in which he said: "Many Sisters belonging to the Missionaries of Charity are very harsh towards the patients at Nirmal Hriday. Almost every night we hear heartrending cries from these old patients. I suspect the Sisters indulge in physical torture." Whether cries at night were the natural result of fatal illness, or caused deliberately by staff is not addressed by Haldar's accusation.

In September 2000, Teresa's successor Sister Nirmala admitted that one nun working in a Calcutta shelter run by the Missionaries had tortured four young street children with a hot knife. According to Nirmala, the children had tried to steal money.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    The public image of MT is very skewed. Most people don't know the reality.

that bothers me a lot less than the public's perception of marijuana...

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

This thread is pretty eye opening. I was unaware at how some viewed MT. As a witness though, I didn't like her only because she wasn't JW. Anyway, I decided to do a little research. Here's an interesting article in Time magazine about her.

Read Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith

Might she have been agnostic? Possibly.

I am inspired to read more. I never knew.

CoC

Edit - I fixed the link. It works now.

• Satanus
    Satanus

She voiced doubts about gods existence. Ironically, the atheists are attacking one of their own;)

S

• still thinking
    still thinking

COC...I have just read the first page of that...and it is fascinating. I have bookmarked to read the rest later. Thanks.

So it would appear she didn't even believe what she preached herself based on her own letters.

No wonder she liked to revel in others pain, it made her feel closer to Jesus. Her spirituality was totally selfish...she was searching for her god through the pain of others.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Ironically, the atheists are attacking one of their own;)

Not quite, most atheists don't try to feel god through others pain. She was one of those people who believed in belief.

• Benjie
    Benjie

I've been looking at all of this on the web.

Wherever I looked, all the articles and links against Mother Teresa derived from atheists or, originally, back in India, from a particular Hindu group that is against other religions working in India, even if what they do helps Indians in need. I found a lot of articles and links describing the good work that she did.

How is it possible to prove anything one way or another in a thread on a forum? Everyone can look on the internet and find a link that supports what they are saying, and someone else can find a link that says the other thing.

Blackening the name of someone when I don't know all the facts, goes against the grain, and I don't think anyone here knows all the facts. I have always thought she was a very good woman.

I like what someone wrote earlier about not passing things on that are against somebody, or somebody's reputation, unless we truly know it is right. It is just not a good thing to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit