Mother Teresa attacked by Atheist/Anostic group -

by james_woods 205 Replies latest jw experiences

• sizemik
    sizemik

That's what I'm saying . . . accepting Govt assistance was a mistake. WINZ constantly directs clients there for food parcels because they are funded, instead of granting vouchers themselves. They've become a dumping ground of convenience for the Govt. and are under-resourced for much of what they attempt to do . . . and have the added problem of Govt. interference. Many in the org regret the current situation, but they have been locked in. What you describe are the symptoms . . . not the cause. It's an otherwise good org that has been comprimised. Even those high up in the org get by on a pretty modest stipend. That said . . . without them the problems would be infinitely worse.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I've noticed the Salvo's don't have Op Shops here anymore... they are now called 'Salvo's Stores' and no longer are the people who work there volunteers... they are now paid. They are more expensive than they used to be for their clothes but their furniture store here is a different story. Much cheaper than new (around 25-50% of the new price) and they deliver for free.

Will be moving into my own place (finally, haven't lived by myself in more than a decade) and will be pretty much furnishing the whole place through Salvo's... just can't afford new at the moment.

Sizemik, I had no idea.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It seems the SA works very differently in different countries. Interesting.

• glenster
    glenster

How about Gandhi? What's bad about him?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27lMS76hGG0

• james_woods
    james_woods

Interesting discussion...I guess it was about time to re-visit the Mother Teresa legacy. I had no idea this would go 11 pages -

I just put it up because I thought the way the Dartmouth people protested her was needlessly (rudely) harsh and did not serve any practical purpose.

I did get one thing out of this that I believe should be corrected:

Being critical of Mother Teresa is not the same thing at all as being critical of Catholic Charity in general, or the Catholic religion in general. No more than criticism of child molestation within the priesthood should be taken that way.

The other side of the coin is the Catholics really should review any tendency toward knee-jerk reactions to automatically support Teresa without reservation - just the same as taking a stand against child abuse without condemning their church in general.

• glenster
    glenster

Is this it then?:

The hospital accommodations are sub par, and the question is whether that's
    Teresa's doing or the fault of higher-ups in allocating money for her.

She got money from a guy who later was shown to be a swindler. She has the
    option to decide what to do about an ethical problem--have it returned to middle
    class or better investors or desperately poor people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit