non believers what if your wrong ?

by unstopableravens 546 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

He has a lot to answer for.

unstopableravens; onthewayout like what?

I cannot go on and on with an exhaustive list. But the Christian God is taught to be all-wise, all-powerful, and more than just all-beneficial to mankind. If that were even close to true, we would not have those children victims of the tsunami in 2004 or the earthquake in Haiti. If you want to blame people for that, okay- I do too. No "God" would stand by and let those terrible things happen to children.

(I only go there because you ask.)

But without that list, let me just say that the price for mankind is too high, too painful, too tragic.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

May I, OTWO?

unstopableravens, things like: genocide, infanticide, murder, rape, incest, endorsement of slavery...to name a few.

It's all in the scriptures...

Y.B., that's about the worst part of it. They don't even hide what their God is, yet they deny this right after they read it.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    do you think empathy alone can account for all the guilt in the world as well as be the determining factor drive people to do what is moral?

Precisely.

Many religions pre-dating Christianity hold to the same simple principle.

"Do unto others" . . . was natural morality teaching Christ . . . not Christ teaching divine morality.

Religion does more to pervert that principle with it's silly rules and comprimises, than it does to enhance it.

A strong sense of morality without religious dogma is more pure . . . and very superior to any religious inspired set of rules.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Entirely, fortunately for you, Satanus bailed you out

You seem to be under the impression that I needed help. You are adorable, like a puppy chasing it's tail.

Fine, but do you think empathy alone can account for all the guilt in the world

No, for that level of guilt you need religion.

as well as be the determining factor drive people to do what is moral?

You forgot "not being assholes".

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

But the atheist definition of empathy isn't moral, it is Newtonian—merely chemical. You run into problems when others don't have or act on empathy, based on their own chemical reactions. Also, empathy creates a choice and a decision; what makes people choose what they do? Empathy can't be the atheist's standard given that definition, because atheist philosophy is highly dependent upon relativism. Empahty, in all of its results, would be considered and absolute, wouldn't it?

• perfect1
    perfect1

But the atheist definition of empathy isn't moral

Depends on the athiest. The world doesnt go to hell without a god to fear.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'You run into problems when others don't have or act on empathy, based on their own chemical reactions.'

Yes, and that is where religion comes in, right? Unfortunately, religion has and is doing as much bad as it's doing good. Religions generally go corrupt. However the empathy brain construct is a bit more reliable, provided that religion and ideollogy don't hyjack it. It can be overridden by other things as well, like ego, screwed up brain chemistry, extreme need like starvation, protecting ones own like family, etc.

S

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Yes, Satanus, that is where the Creator of all our chemical reactions comes in, because despite our abundance or lack of empathy, there is a standard by which to determine morality in the absence of empathy or one's unwillingness to act upon it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nostone

A person could argue the reverse, as well. A person could say that the socalled divine law sprang from the empathy that is universal in humans and some animals. Afterall, in principle, it's agreed on by all.

S

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

perfect1 i would not use a catholic practice to support christianity anymore than jw i think both are a far cry from the bible.but anyway i did not want my post to turn into a dog fight between skydaddy ppl and cromagums lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit