non believers what if your wrong ?

by unstopableravens 546 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

i do not wish to debate anything here like i have said in the past i have much respect for most on this forum (believers and non believers) i am simply wondering if the atheist or non god believers every worry about what if your wrong? it seems that many who were jw for so many years attach jehovah/yahweh with the watchtower and since the wt is wrong than god does not exist. i ask this question only because i care about people and salvation thats why i want to help as many as possable come out of this cult,and since i truly believe in god i dont know what is in the cinscience of those who dont

• sir82
    sir82

Pascal's wager (which your question is a variation of) has been discussed and debated for centuries.

Google "Pascal's wager" and read up!

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

never heard of it ! i check it out

• brinjen
    brinjen

The way I see it, if I'm wrong then it really dosen't matter. If there is a God, he's not going to penalise me because I don't believe in him... I believe what I believe and in many ways it's not by choice (just dosen't make sense to me that there is a God). If it did matter and a belief in "him" is required, then the way I see it that God isn't much different from Jehovah. Why does my answer to the question need to be correct in the first place?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

What if there is no god? What if there is a god? there may be a third alternative.

We might ALL be wrong.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

"They (religions) can't all be right, but they can all be wrong".

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Pascal's Wager has commonly come up in arc-t as a reason to believe, for both Christians and non-Christians. There are many variations of Pascal's original wager floating around. This FAQ addresses the following version (though it could likely be applied to other versions as well):

• If you don't believe in [the Christian] God, and you're right, you gain nothing
    • If you don't believe in [the Christian] God, and you're wrong, you lose everything
    • If you do believe in [the Christian] God, and you're right, you gain everything
    • If you do believe in [the Christian] God, and you're wrong, you lose nothing

Therefore, you should wager on [the Christian] God, so you get the best of all outcomes.

There are several fallacies to this argument, and it is considered one of the weakest reasons to believe, both by non-Christians as well as some Christians. Please note that not all of these fallacies will necessarily apply in every case.

Fallacy One: It assumes that there is only one god which can be believed in, the Christian one. This is not true, since there are a plethora of gods that have been believed throughout the millennia. This would have to be applied to each and every one of those gods to be true, and this would clearly be impossible, due to the clashing natures of many of the said gods.

Fallacy Two: It assumes that simply wagering on [the Christian] God will buy one entrance into Heaven. While this may be so, the Wager does not instill a belief, it instills an appearance of a belief. Since the god in question is presumed to be all-knowing, he would be able to tell a false from a true belief. Therefore, the belief from the Wager would not qualify should belief be the requirement for entrance into Heaven.

Fallacy Three: It creates a moral dilemma. You, by using this, are sending the most dedicated humanitarians, who just happen to not be Christian, to Hell, while you set a place in Heaven for those mass-murders who happen to be Christian. Since [the Christian] God is supposed to be a loving god, how then could he entertain the embodiment of hatred, yet turn away the embodiment of love?

Fallacy Four: It ignores too many alternate possibilities - some of which are addressed by existing religions, and some which are not. Some examples: A God could reward on criteria which seem meaningless to us - hair colour, taste in clothes, music etc. or A God might not be concerned with humans at all - the universe could be here for hydrogen for all we know. Or God may even reward those who don'tbelieve.

Fallacy Five: It assumes any person is overly fearful of death to be worried about it being a conclusion to their life.

Fallacy Six: It assumes that a belief in God is all that is needed, when many Christians would disagree and would suggest that there are "guidelines" that you should live by (and that God requires you to live by if your belief is sincere). If these guidelines require a change on your part (for example: No sex before marriage, no smoking, denying you are a homosexual, not marrying a non-Christian, etc.), then it could be argued that you have lost something if the Christian God turns out to not exist.

http://arc-t.org/arc-tiquities/debates-pascal.html

that pretty much sums it up for me.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I like Mrs. Jones' comment above. Just wanted to add:

If [the Christian] God were there, and I met [the Christian] God, I would say He is not worthy of worship and He has a lot to answer for.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh pahlease...

You don't have to do anything if there is a 'god'. That is JW nonsense still in your head, darling. ;) I say this because it took me a long time to get it out of my head.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

well what any of us believe is not going to make god exist or make him go away ,i guess for it seems it would take faith aw well to not believe in god or a creator. i guess for me when i seen the wt was wrong i really was frustrated i could have gone and lived a life us fun sex partys whatever but that to me is like shopping alot with a credit card because your doing what u want now and worring about the bill later and i guess i rambing on but i just think about down the road just not now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit