non believers what if your wrong ?

by unstopableravens 546 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

A person could say that the socalled divine law sprang from the empathy that is universal in humans and some animals.

But this doesn't explain evil; on the contrary, it tends to rationalize it.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Evil is a concept not a source.

Lack of empathy gives rise to bad behaviour, that's all.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

But the atheist definition of empathy isn't moral, it is Newtonian—merely chemical.

Wrong.

You run into problems when others don't have or act on empathy, based on their own chemical reactions.

Ok. And?

Empathy can't be the atheist's standard given that definition, because atheist philosophy is highly dependent upon relativism. Empahty, in all of its results, would be considered and absolute, wouldn't it?

There is no "atheists definition" as far as I am aware. Is there a club I should sign up for to get my official definition list?

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

it crosses my mind in a thunderstorm. but it will be what it is. i will not reverse my position however i will admit to being wrong.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

i will not cower in fear for my life choices tho.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Yes, Satanus, that is where the Creator of all our chemical reactions comes in, because despite our abundance or lack of empathy, there is a standard by which to determine morality in the absence of empathy or one's unwillingness to act upon it.

Can you re-write that so it makes sense?

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Lack of empathy gives rise to bad behaviour, that's all.

But how do you determine what is bad or good in the absence of empathy? Is the unempathetic a bad person? Bad measured against what? How can you determine this when life is merely a series of actions and reactions?

• Satanus
    Satanus

In contrast to the universal empathy thing, evil could be defined as a deviation from it. This is especially easy when things get codified. Enforcement is the challenge. 'Police' can't be eveywhere, all the time. Enter religion and its taboos! God is always there, as a 24/7 security system. The deviation can now be rebranded as 'evil'.

S

• perfect1
    perfect1

Their are plenty of moral systems without God.

Take Utilitarianism, for example. The Greatest Good for the greatest number.

Also, those lacking empathy are considered psychopaths.

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Satanus, who is to say that empathy is a good thing? If everything is chemical, then everything is equally valid, be it psychopathy or empathy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit