non believers what if your wrong ?

by unstopableravens 546 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" i am only discussing this bacause i care what happens to ppl "

in other words you're trying to save some poor misled athetists. Do you know how arrogant that sounds?

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

. Do you know how arrogant that sounds?

Arrogance suggests an exaggerated view of his own importance the whereas OP genuinely simply CARES about people. Fortunately the responsibility isn't his, this is why he hasn't been given all authority, it's too big for any human. The JWs bred the 'blood guilt' idea into so many of us which left us feeling responsible.

Loz x

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

in other words you're trying to save some poor misled athetists. Do you know how arrogant that sounds?

Or, in his words, he cares what happens to people.

Compassion rather than arrogance perhaps?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Compassion can be shown in other more productive ways. This however smacks of someone trying to be a savior where none is needed and is not productive.

I'm out.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That almost seems to imply that believers do otherwise...yes?

Well, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in an afterlife. So it is only natural that I will view those who place their hope in an afterlife are placing their hope in something that cannot be achieved. So, yes. Now if a non-atheist wants to continue to put their hope in this thing that, from my viewpoint, does not exist, then that is their perogative. Yet as an atheist, it would be dishonest for me to say that non-atheists don't do otherwise. So I'm not implying, I am expressing my viewpoint.

Does that translate to mean that non-atheists don't also put some hope into things that can be achieved? No. They do. But they also put their hope into things that cannot be achieved. I just leave that part out.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

To continue---this non-atheist is all compassionate and concerned about the afterlife for atheists. I consider this a waste of compassion and energy, because there is no afterlife. I would prefer they put all that motivation into something that can be achieved----cancer research----feeding the children---healthcare----protecting the enviornment---social justice---whatever. Something that can actually be achieved.

It is a shame that someone would let something like the afterlife worry them so, while there are so many real goals to shoot for.

• Heaven
    Heaven

So here's how it works. You are standing at a certain timeline in your life. But when you were first born and a toddler, you did not believe. So I guess if a baby dies, it's screwed for the eternal salvation award because it didn't 'believe'.

Then, somewhere along the line, someone told you to believe and you now do. As you begin to age, if you develop any sort of health condition that affects your mind, you may once again, become an unbeliever. It is likely you will die not knowing your name, what day it is, and who Jesus or God are. Once again, you're screwed.

All I can say is if you think that believing gets you some special prize sometime in the future, then go ahead and believe. But I don't believe this.

Trying to convince other people to believe what you believe is really unnecessary. There are billions of people in this world that don't believe what you do. There are people who have never ever heard of David, Jesus, or Mohamed, will live their entire lives and die without ever believing. In your mind, these people are screwed. Oh well... that's something you're going to have to deal with, not them. I doubt very much you're going to be able to reach these billions of people in time for them to be saved based on your definition of salvation.

And by the way, this has been going on for 100s of thousands of years.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Well, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in an afterlife. So it is only natural that I will view those who place their hope in an afterlife are placing their hope in something that cannot be achieved. So, yes. Now if a non-atheist wants to continue to put their hope in this thing that, from my viewpoint, does not exist, then that is their perogative. Yet as an atheist, it would be dishonest for me to say that non-atheists don't do otherwise. So I'm not implying, I am expressing my viewpoint.
    Does that translate to mean that non-atheists don't also put some hope into things that can be achieved? No. They do. But they also put their hope into things that cannot be achieved. I just leave that part out.

I am a believer, a Christian.

I don't worry about the afterlife either because I "know" there is one and that Christ is there and God is love ( et, etc...) and as such I believe that humans are stewards of creation, we are responsible for this planet, all its animals and life forms and each other. It is our job to tale care of Earth and all that is on it.

It is actually a divine calling/command.

I put in hope in Christ to give me the strength I need to do this wonderful job he has given, to take care of all those I love, this amazing planet we live on.

I don't wait for God to "fix anything" or wait for the "second coming" to let Christ fix things and set things right.

"To those that much is given, much will be asked".

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

yet again if you mention belief your arrogant? sorry i did not start this to throw out motivations and i said earlier that i along with everyone needs a savoir so i am def not him ! i m sorry if you think what im saying is self rightoues its not

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Unstopableravens,

I'd like to give you a bit of advice, believer to believer. Don't be so concerned with an atheist being wrong. They believe that WE are wrong. We believe that THEY are wrong. And here's the deal. We are ALL wrong on a ton of issues. I've found so much more happiness in trying to understand where other people are coming from and why they view things the way that they do, instead of condemning others that believe differently from me.

Share your belief and the reasons for them. Listen to what others believe (or don't believe) and strive to understand. I've found that there is usually something that we can learn from each other. The atheists that used to drive me nuts on this board are some of the same people that i've learned more from than any others on this site. Honestly, cofty and NC used to grind on my nerves for some reason. Now I really care about them and read almost every post of theirs. Maybe we don't agree about who God is or if God is. But atheists and believers can both be intelligent and non arrogant people that can learn from each other. But we've gotta put our differences aside.

Put yourself in an atheists shoes. Someone comes up to you, tells you that everything you believe (or don't believe) is wrong and that you are going to be severely punished because of this. No one wants to hear that. And that will cause NO ONE to listen to anything you or I have to say.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one decided to believe in God because someone came up to them and said, "Yeah, but what if you're wrong?" We're not going to convert anyone from atheism by asking that. Someone that decides to believe in God does so for reasons beyond anything WE say to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit