A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Simon is hip to what's going on. Looks to me like he is getting pretty tired of all of this. Maybe this thread will last another 19 pages. Have fun good people.

• cofty
    cofty

FHN - do you have anything to contribute to this discussion?

I am certain if Simon is reading this thread he will be encouraged by genuine efforts to make progress.

"Hip", I haven't heard that word for decades.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Shelby, I just want to say that my atheism does not result from becoming disillusioned with religion through being a JW.

I absolutely understand that, dear S+G (the greatest of love and peace to you!). I think I even stated somewhere on this thread (or perhaps the "Faith" one) that most of the atheists I know were never religious to begin with. I met them at university/law school/work.

I will touch more on that in a bit.

Again, peace to you and your household, dear one!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Simon is hip to what's going on with the factions that have been drawn up between atheists and non athiests on the board JWN. Have you missed it? Locked threads and putting people in their places? A lot of us have noticed.

A person can only change his or her own behavior. Unless people are willing to look within and be honest, this kind of sophmoric bickering will continue. It's not about atheism vs non atheism. It's about people enjoying the grudges and the bickering. Simon has called it bullying. Have fun, continue, ignore the sensible posts that have been made here and there through out this thread.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

OK, bye, FHN.

• still thinking
    still thinking

LOL...would those be YOUR sensible posts being made here and there FHN? Like the ones where you copy and paste the OP? Or how about the ones saying no truce has been reached?

What have you actually CONTRIBUTED to the discussion?

It's about people enjoying the grudges and the bickering...FHN

That is YOUR opinion on what you 'believe' is happeneing. Maybe some are doing that. I don't care. There are suggestions on here about HOW to deal with it. So far, I haven't seen you offer any suggestions. Just calling people bullies and sophmoric. That is not helping.

Oh, and forgot to mention...speaking FOR simon.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I know, for me, disillusion with religion was not a part of me letting go of faith. That came later, LOL, when I looked at the effects of god belief of the human family.

No, I wasn't disillusioned. Some information just made it through my confirmation bias, and I got very honest about what I was seeing. I wasn't even aware I was doing it until I looked backwards.

It is not a good angle to take with me. As far as fear of death, that really isn't a factor for me either. Think about it. I already beleived that the dead were just dead. I was no longer living the JW lifestyle, and so I wasn't looking forward to a resurrection anyway. I pretty much made my peace that when I died, I would simply be dead, and then I realized, that's not so bad! I'm okay with that. I don't necessarily like it, but it's not horrible. It just is. So becoming an atheist, and accepting that not only was my fate simply death, but everyone's wasn't all that difficult for me.

I THINK it was Mark Twain who said that being dead would be just like it was before he was born. I don't grieve about not having been around for the past, I don't really care to grieve about not being around for the future. I can only hope I add something good that others will draw on, but if I don't, I really won't know about it. So it is what it is.

Anger at a god. NO. Of course not. I'm not angry at Santa for not existing. That would just be silly.

I think it is hard for the non-atheist to fully understand that atheists simply process the world in a completely different way. We just accept things, instead of struggling against them, and do what we can do. That's how our reality is. It's not hopeless or sterile, we just do what we can do. And that's good enough for us! We are not yearning for more. I suppose I shouldn't say "we' because everyone's experience is different, but those that I know and interact with GENERALLY feel this way. So I am speaking in generalities.

Jealousy. We are not jealous. Of what? We don't think non-atheists have something desirable that we want. We don't WANT it. LOL. Trust me on this.

Is it nice to think about a heaven or paradise and a god that cares about us? Sure, it's a beautiful thought, but we know that it doesn't make it true. It is also a beautiful thought to think of every child being tucked into a warm bed with a full tummy. It's not the reality. We work with what is real, and just don't waste the angst, time and energy on what we don't believe is reality.

A completely different way of looking at the world. In a way, we celebrate even more when we see the good, because we know that HUMANS did that good, and they wonderful, and they are awful, but they chose to be wonderful with no intervention from a god, and that makes us very happy.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" I actually find the people who don't take part in the discussion but pop in occasionally to tell everybody how they are above such things to be the most provocative."

• bohm
    bohm

Newchapter: if i am being discussed on no-evidence zone, and i am being accused off all the things which he "bad" atheists are being accused of over there, i want to know.

Chariklo: okay so there is a special section on your forum where you can write things you normally wouldnt like other people wrote, but if you write it there, it is okay.

im glad we got that bit cleared up.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Apparently there is no private section on that forum....it is ALL open to the public. There is nothing to hide bohm...well, that's what I've been told many, many times on JWN.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit