A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Once again, it would be good if it would be made clear who the "awfull few" really are; the dirty dusin, the bad apples, the meanies -- the people who are atheists because they hate god and reduce christians to tears so they have to go to their own forum and talk about how they are getting opressed (not my words)

No, that would not be good. Let me state it differently. Let's recognize that some POSTS are created to stir the emotions, and we don't HAVE to fall in line. The POST can come from anyone. It can be from someone that is angry at the moment, or from someone who does it habitually, or someone who just worded things poorly, or perhaps someone that is just having a bad day and being negative. They can be intentional, or not.

My comment was NOT to suggest that we somehow put a small group into a canvass sack and then beat it with baseball bats! If we acknowledge that emotions run high, and that makes us suspectible to the post with the spark, we can grow up and not fall into the trap.

• cofty
    cofty

the colonisation of America was founded upon the rights of groups to worship and believe as their conscience dictates.

Actually it was founded by people who wanted to be free to behave like the Taliban.

• still thinking
    still thinking

chariklo....I think in a debate about god or no god there is a them and us whether people like to believe it or not. If you believe in a god you do, and if you don't you don't. There is no in between except for maybe agnostic. But then, agnostics sometimes think they speak for atheists and very rarely do because most often an agnostic doesn't even understand an atheist perspective and align more closely to a non-atheist.

I don't see that as a problem in itself. We don't agree...we debate our point. (or discuss if you prefer niceties)

So what? If we all agreed with each other it would be like being in a cult with no disagreement, no individual thought, and no permission to oppose an idea or show any emotion about it.

• cofty
    cofty

put a small group into a canvass sack and then beat it with baseball bats! - NC

Yeh, I vote for this.

Priests, homeopaths, mediums, fortune tellers, gospel singers, TV evangelists, fans of rugby - get in the sack!

• still thinking
    still thinking

I'm sure y'all just need a hug, lol. ...transhuman

I'll take that........thanks trans.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Do you really see trouble stirrers? I see two groups of people, one saying loudly, "we have the right to believe or not as we choose and we are right and you are wrong". The other group of people are saying patiently "Yes, we agree with you, you have the right to believe anything or nothing if you want and we support you in that right", to which the first group says, in effect, "Oh you horrible people, how can you saw such nasty things, look, look at their "vitupertative" comments!"

Look at this post. If I challenge it (and in a way, I am, but for a bigger point) then it could lead to an us and them all out fight. Okay, so one posts portrays things in an unbalanced and biased manner. If I jump in to fight this fight, it's a waste of time and trouble will follow. Those that feel offended by this post will want to go on counter attack. Those that consider the poster a friend will come and defend the post, even if they know it's not how to address each other.

Let's just bow out of it. If we do that, it can become just an odd post in an otherwise interesting debate---which WILL stir emotion---which WILL become heated---which WILL contain perceived or real insults at times (yes, we do that), but it doesn't have to become an us and them free-for-all. It will be contained.

Does that make sense now? DON'T isolate posters---I mispoke---isolate POSTS.

Am I expressing myself well? We are all guilty of these kinds of POSTS---so it shouldn't hurt so bad to let them pass, if we just accept that about how we all can tend to be at times.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Grudges. Can they be melted away? Until they are, this bickering will continue.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Priests, homeopaths, mediums, fortune tellers, gospel singers, TV evangelists, fans of rugby - get in the sack!

Well sure, LOL, I can get on board with some of that---but I'd like to include soccer fans! So that shouldn't be a problem AT ALL.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Char, I think this is along both sides, not just atheists. And I think it has not so much to do with what people believe or not. This has gotten to be more about hurt feelings and grudges....flyinghighnow

I think as long as people 'believe' this they will take god debates 'personally' and cry persecution and being bullied.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Bohm, you missed the forum section that was in. Personal testimony and experience.

Yes, I was indeed wearied by the feeling of bashing one's head agaist a brick wall.

Evidence free zone? Oh no, this thread here is all the evidence required. Yes, one sided, yes, some of the atheists here do seem to want to pick and break down.

But no, I am not creating two groups. A few people are indeed behaving like that, more's the pity. They create their own vocal group. No need to name them, to satisfy those who pretend they don't understand. They name themselves, implicitly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit