A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

NC:

I'm not suggesting we call out names here.......
    I'm saying that if we understand that certain people will pitch two perceived groups against each other, if that is on our mind, then rather than rallying, we understand what is happening and simply not take the bait. There is no need to engage and bring others in when this type of post pops up. We can acknowledge it in the sense that we find it more about whipping up volatile feelings rather than really adding to the debate, or we can ignore it, but we don't need for this to drive the discussion........ Some posters (and not just the same ones---sometimes people just have bad days, and perhaps engage in this) are happy to supply the flash.

Good food for thought there, Chappy.

I've noticed that when there's a thread that has potential for controversy, there are ones who post, who:

1. Clearly have not read the OP.

2. Clearly have not read the following posts.

3. Don't actually post an opnion on the OP, but rather, just come on to start fights and arguements with snarky remarks.

Some of the ones who I've talked to, have made resolves to not "take the bait" and instead, try to re-direct the snarky poster to comment on the OP. Sometimes, they have made an effort to use humour to re-direct the offender. I've seen it work several times so far.

The snarky poster will usually either not reply to the actual OP, or will try to start a fight/arguement on another thread.

It takes concerted effort on the part of MOST, but I really think this is the best way to handle it.

• cofty
    cofty
    but I'd like to include soccer fans! So that shouldn't be a problem AT ALL.

I would actually go along with that - most football (soccer) fans leave their brains at the turnstyle.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oh, I think I see what your saying now NC....Ignore posts that are obviously just being emotive and stirring?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Grudges. Can they be melted away? Until they are, this bickering will continue.

Not necessarily. It's a nice platitude, but I'm a realist. There are grudges, but that doesn't exclude debates falling into bickering. I'm not into trying to change everyone's internals, but just behavior in a debate. We will, of course, disagree with what is proper behavior in a debate. I, for instance, believe that all belief is up for the exact same criticism and sometimes even disrespect that any other idea is up for. This will be a sore spot, but most of us actually agree with this--until it is our own idea.

Racism---and ideology I neither respect nor feel the need to. I think many of us hold the same view of such an idea, and nobody will get upset and say we are disrespecting racists because we disrespect racism. You see---this is an idea---and in my mind there is no difference. Others will disagree.

But it does not need to be us vs them. It just doesn't.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I would actually go along with that - most football (soccer) fans leave their brains at the turnstyle.

And throw people who call soccer, football, into that bag!

• cofty
    cofty

They create their own vocal group. No need to name them, to satisfy those who pretend they don't understand. They name themselves, implicitly.

That's deep!

I actually find the people who don't take part in the discussion but pop in occasionally to tell everybody how they are above such things to be the most provocative.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Palm, 19 pages and no truce yet.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I've noticed that when there's a thread that has potential for controversy, there are ones who post, who:

1. Clearly have not read the OP.

2. Clearly have not read the following posts.

3. Don't actually post an opnion on the OP, but rather, just come on to start fights and arguements with snarky remarks.

See, I have been watching these things play out, and I have to agree with this. Looking through what happens, I've noticed that while the exchanges are heated, they remain in control. Suddenly, someone will pop on and do exactly what you have listed above. Then all hell breaks loose! When I saw that, I had that lightbulb moment. The worse fights are 'egged on' in a sense. By posts that are not engaging the OP or the other posts. Well, I don't lilke being manipulated. I no longer want to be so easily swayed to get caught up in this tactic to feed something in the poster--some conflict THEY were looking for, but not necessarily the rest of us.

As I said, I do believe that these debates will continue to be heated. But I think they will remain below the blasting point if we refuse to be manipulated.

I have been allowing some very focused insults pass me by, OR if I felt the need, I have addressed them with very little passion. What I found was they just go away. Therefore, the desired outcome, a fight, was not found that way, so it became boring.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Char, please....please......

Is there absolutely nothing, no way, no how, nothing that will make you even CONSIDER for one minute that BOTH sides have room for improvement here?

You have done nothing but BASH and BASH and BASH atheists.

We are all asking you to consider.....maybe it's coming from BOTH sides.

Is that in the realm of possibility for you to consider?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Palm, 19 pages and no truce yet.

Well that was quite helpful. Perhaps we should throw in the towel. I have seen a great deal of constructive discussion here, occasionaly sidetracked by things listed above, but then back on track. As to truce---perhaps we don't all agree on what that would mean. I'm shooting for things to not blow-up into non-constructive bickering---I'm not looking for Kumbaya, because I don't find it a realistic goal, and I don't necessarily find it a worthy goal either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit