A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Ricky Gervais tweeted this 11/14/12 and I totally agree with it:

"There are good atheists and bad atheists.

There are good believers and bad believers.

No god has ever changed that."

• Satanus
    Satanus

Just one question, why is the term non-atheist used, instead of theist? Just wondering.

S

• sabastious
  • Londo111
  • palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Just one question, why is the term non-atheist used, instead of theist?

Because some here object to being called theists when they are not sure if god exists or not.

They don't like being classed as Atheists, yet Agnostic beliefs are very individual.

Those who are Atheist dont' seem to mind that there are varying degrees of atheism amongst them.

But Non-Atheists seem to want clarification and individualization, but which would result in an exceedingly long thread title.

• designs
    designs

There is so much good that can be done in our communities if we all work together.

'The earth is what we all have in common'. Wendell Berry

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks, palm. I missed that.

S

• biometrics
    biometrics

It could work.

I'll stop telling athiests they're going to burn in hell, if they stop telling me I'm stupid for beleivng in an 'imaginary' God.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

That's not a truce.

Truce means neither side slams the other. There is no if, and, or but.

• cofty
    cofty

I agree with Gervais but I have no problem with believers. I have plenty good friends that are full-throttle believers. We rarely if ever talk about faith.

It comes back to the point of making a distinction between the believer and the things they believe.

As a non-believer I don't define myself by my lack of belief but for many people of faith their whole identity is tied up with their beliefs so when you ask questions about that they feel personally attacked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit