A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Admit it - you all love it here. We feed of each other and with a little more acceptance, applause and respect for each individuals contribution we can continue - here’s to the next ten years.

Peace Glad!

• cofty
  • talesin
    talesin

No, Cofty. Are you lacking in comprehensive reading skills, or merely being obtuse?

I said this:

Calling their reasoning idiotic?

Don't try to twist me up with words, nor misquote me; it won't work. I'm just weary of your rudeness, and I feel you stir up a lot of trouble.

t

• still thinking
    still thinking
    truce /tro?os/
    Noun:

An agreement between enemies or opponents to stop fighting or arguing for a certain time: "the guerrillas called a three-day truce".

So far I haven't actually seen any suggestion of this on this thread at all.

People seem to think a truce means that they should be able so say what they like without any disagreement. And that it should be a permanent arrangement.

Atheists seem to think their opinions should be challenged. Non-athiests seem to think their ideas should not. And should be accepted or not accepted but not challenged. In other words...share what they think is true with no comments other that agreement because apparently their comments aren't addressed to ANYONE other than those who believe. That is not discussion. That is preaching. If I wanted to be preached to I would go to church.

• tec
    tec

Were you quoting Still, or are those your words? I ask only because of the quote box, but I don't remember reading those words anywhere.

peace,

tammy

• palmtree67
  • still thinking
    still thinking

Awwww....cute goat.

LOL tec...I just quoted the definition of Truce...and the formatting wouldn't let me take the rest of what I wrote out of the box.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

now how's that for peace on earth?

• cofty
    cofty

Talsin - Your right, you said something about not calling believer's reasoning idiotic and then you referenced a thread where I said the OP contained an idiotic assertion.

It really did and I said so - so what?

You feel I stir up trouble - thanks for sharing that, its best to get these things out, and well done on not calling me an elder this time

• tec
    tec

Cool, Still. I hate when that happens to me, lol.

We can't have a truce on this board, because there are too many people on this board, none are divied up into sides that must do what the others agree to doing. We can only do our best, ourselves. Make mistakes, hopefully learn from them, and start fresh.

Aguest did suggest that we take a breather from this topic, then come back with fresh eyes in a few days, but that is more for clarity of vision, without as much emotion or bias attached in the moment... and not really for a truce.

As to topics, I don't think anyone has a problem with something being challenged/questioned. (I find the challenge often leads to even more understanding, on many topics) But it is what often accompanies, and we're getting a little taste of that on this and another thread, that some object to. How we react could keep that little taste from turning into a feast, however, and I guess that has to be up to us. But this is a big forum, and there are tons of topics that many people are not interested in. Such as politics. Such as some of the science threads. Such as threads on faith.

JWN is like its own city. It has everything. All views. All sorts of people. From all over the world. It is truly an amazing place, and as long as people do not violate the rules of this city, then they should be free to post without attack. (applies to everyone, atheists and non-atheists alike) Imo.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit