A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

All satire contains many seeds of truth. That's what makes it relevant.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

it seems what we have are a series of diametrically opposed viewpoints based upon things which the other side refuses to accept.

there just doesn't seem to be a common framework from which both sides can work from.

nontheists/atheists/pagans/agnostics will not accept spirituality without proof.

the opposite side accepts spirituality.

you cannot prove god within the nontheist universe

you cannot disprove god within the theistic universe

any sort of proving requires one side joining the other's universe because these are irreconcilable.

at least in my eyes.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Oh, dear, Zid, didn't you see NC's "funny" remark about cooking Christian babies? And then her "very funny" baiting statement that I had started a thread about herbs to serve with Christian toddlers?

Did you seriously think NC was being serious? Did you seriously think I began such a thread?

*thinks* "shall I react angrily against your statement "Ah...Sure...Just like she's joking in all her other vituperative posts"

*shakes head* No, don't think I'll bother.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

18 pages. I am sincerely wondering if this big split has nothing to do with believers vs non believers. I'm thinking it could be about hurt feelings and long memories, on both sides. There is more here than differing opinions. There is tension and friction that has nothing to do with what people believe or do not believe. I think everyone on both sides, or people more in the middle like our beautiful OP, Palm, is highly intelligent and pretty wonderful. We all just have different, unique journeys that have brought us to different places. This isn't about science vs religion, as if science rules out religion or religion rules out science. It's about some of us saying things at times that have dug in deep and caused hurt. There can't be any kind of lasting peace on this particular forum, between these two factions if we don't recognize what this is really about.

• still thinking
    still thinking

we atheists are just soooo angry and shaking our tiny fists in rage at the sky because we fear death soooooo much and are jealous of the hope...EP

I know...that thread is fun to read. It's so wrong and shows that some people who THINK they know what they are talking about don't.

As an atheist I don't fear death. I don't like the possibility that dying might be painful...but death itself to me is not a scary thought at all.

And as for being jealous of their hope....ROFL. False hope is nothing to be jealous of. In fact, we can all pretend we know what will happen after we die, the amount of religions out there bare testimony to that. Even the fact that new religions pop up all the time with their take on what this hope might be shows we can make up whatever we like, and do. Take your pick if you want false hope or make up your own. What on earth would an atheist possibly be jealous of?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo
    There is more here than differing opinions. There is tension and friction that has nothing to do with what people believe or do not believe.

You are so right, FlyingHighNow.

I simply do not understand why just a very few atheists on this board feel the need to protest and justify their atheism whole mocking the beliefs of those who have a faith.

As you rightly say, these are intelligent people. Why indulge in such an unintelligent polemic?

• cofty
    cofty

Why indulge in such an unintelligent polemic?

Please show us a specific example of what you are referring to by "unintelligent polemic".

If the board is so full of it you should find this to be an easy request.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I simply do not understand why just a very few atheists on this board feel the need to protest and justify their atheism whole mocking the beliefs of those who have a faith.

Or perhaps it is comments like this---where some come on to point to SOME atheists as the root of the problem. I am rather tired of it. For instance when I saw a friend had misunderstood someone on this board, I pointed it out. And then comes along this----

Char what is your point? Perhaps it is a very few that keeps the conflict nurtured and growing---and they ain't all atheists.

I think we would do best to isolate who the trouble stirers are, and then address them---atheist or non-atheist---to prevent them from playing 'sides'.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Char, I think this is along both sides, not just atheists. And I think it has not so much to do with what people believe or not. This has gotten to be more about hurt feelings and grudges.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I simply do not understand why just a very few believers on this board feel the need to protest and justify their belief whole mocking the non belief of those who do not have a faith.

See how I just did that? A few on both sides are doing this. There are no innocent parties except for those who are tired of the endless back and forth and have bowed out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit