A truce between Atheists and Non-Atheists?

by palmtree67 699 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

Thank you, Chariklo. I meant EE and NE never invite me to their parties!

:(

Have a wonderful Sunday.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Well palmtree67. I must congratulate you on your long, successful thread. It has been entertaining and revealing. Do you think Atheists and believers are any nearer calling a truce?

As I have stated on your thread I don’t think a truce is the answer. Debates or arguments go wherever they go and provide an outlet for individuals to share, vent, learn, observe and whatever else it is they feel a need to do.

If they want to go head to head, so be it. People give as good as they get. This really is the point, we tend to treat posters the way they treat us. So, it’s largely in our own hands how we are individually treated. Sometimes sensitive people get caught in the cross fire but on the whole it works out. After all public forums are not places of refuge.

I also stated that good manners are all that is required. Over the years I have been guilty of being rude and unnecessarily personal to other posters. Hiding behind my gladiator persona, I upset both Christians and Atheists. I thought it didn’t matter. I learned that it does matter and did not enjoy the way I felt afterwards.

Now I try to see each person as an individual with feelings. I have been helped by the kindness of others on this forum to heal and grow after leaving the Jehovah's Witness set up and try to give something back.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Do you think Atheists and believers are any nearer calling a truce?

From conversations I've had off the board, with people from both "sides", SOME from both have made resolves to deal differently with each other.

Maybe "truce" was the wrong word to use, since the discussions will continue and POV's aren't really going to change much.

It has been revealing, yes.....the ones who have come on this thread to say how useless it is *are* almost exclusively from one "side"

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yes, well done dear Palm, to any person reading the thread with an open mind a lot is exposed within it as to the attitudes and prejudices and downright misunderstandings that some have held, and perhaps because of this thread future discussion will be more mature and more like genuine debate, with mutual respect offered to all debators.

Thanks to all who contributed, and will do so.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Since there never was a battle anyway, and so no need for a truce, it's very good to get even a hint that those very few atheists who wanted to attack the faiths of others seem to have decided that, after all, they can be just like everyone else and let others believe or not as they choose.

Wonderful news, Palmtree! I am delighted!

• bohm
    bohm

Who are the very few chariklo?

Because there arent that many candidates to choose from..

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It`s my Potty and I`ll Cry if I want to

.............................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Double potty post..

.............................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL! I see we have another reference to a super-secret-not-open-to-the-public-and-just-what-the-HELL-are-they-DOING-in-there-forum-for-hostile-angry-aggressive-atheists-to-share-recipes-on-how-to-prepare-and-serve-Christian-babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    Since there never was a battle anyway, and so no need for a truce, it's very good to get even a hint that those very few atheists who wanted to attack the faiths of others seem to have decided that, after all, they can be just like everyone else and let others believe or not as they choose.

Chariklo,

If you understood from my post that JWN is now your group's own personal preaching ground where they can make statements like "It is a FACT that Aguest talks to God", completely unchallenged........you need to do a little more thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit