Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Thanks Chariklo

"You see, different people take things differently. I read Healthworker's posts and see an bright, interesting and lively mind. I haven't once seen him slag off anyone."

Think that is right on Chariklo! Here we go an throw the perfect new years party and then the participants either zip to milk, rooibos tea, isolate themselves at the restrooom or get all wasted! It's time to brighten up brothers! Cheers!

Kate82 : pls dont be sad. Some of the posters here are just lonely and bitter. But I know they are getting better! Wish you all the best Kate!

Love Healthworker

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you're working for the bOrg, jookbeard, you're doing a good job.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Me? working for the Borg? Ok if you say so.

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

Black Sheep

"If you're working for the bOrg, jookbeard, you're doing a good job."

Think you are on to something black sheep! Look have easy jooky came clean: "Ok if you say so."

Man, are you from the feds black sheep?

Love Healthworker

• perfect1
    perfect1

Who made Jook the troll police.

Knock it off.

You are overreacting.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Kate82, I am a little concerned that you are ready to dive in to bible study when you haven't spent that much time doing so in the past. The Jehovah's Witnesses have a rehearsed presentation based on a few texts that they consider key.

Depending on which texts that you look at, any Christian religion may appear "most true".

Might I suggest you do a personal study exercise without anyone else's help, say, doing a "red letter" study to read the words of Christ alone, or a full study of one of the gospel books (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John)?

The NWT is not that bad. It's not that good, either. It's replaced grace with "undeserved kindness", and replaced references to the LORD with Jehovah (in the New Testament this is unwarranted).

• kepler
    kepler

Kate82:

If you are still on line... I am not a JW and therefore I am not an apostate. However, I did experience the Bible home study with the pamphlet "What the Bible Really Teaches" and I had numerous reservations about what was said in it. I did research on what my instructors were saying and they often evaded my questions or pressed me to back off.

What was most telling, however, was what Ziddina described as the responsibilities of a JW. I did this study on behalf of someone who was very dear to me and it was one of my last efforts to tread water.

It was futile for all the reasons that Ziddina described. Any objection I raised was ignored. Our very history of meeting, what we shared was invalidated as something that was somehow promoted by demons. Any argument, any research I could offer, even study of Greek or Hebrew or comparing one verse of the Bible with another was treated as the same. This was one of the most horrible experiences of my adult life, like awaking into a no-exit horror story from what seems now like it was a pleasant dream. We spent eight years together and we communicate not at all now. It's forbidden.

And I watched that noose tighten from one month to the next while that person expressed continued anxiety that she was not doing enough.

You might not have reason to believe that something similar could happen to you now. But I hope you don't have to reflect back on a warning like this when you find yourself channeled into a very restricted community awaiting entry into an eternal paradise earth.

On the positive side, I think I should reiterate what others have said (I am pressed by an appointment coming up -so this part is hurried). Shop around. Find out how others have found spiritual uplift. Examine perhaps how that can be obtained without writing off 99.9% of humanity to fates envisioned by bitterest of Old Testament chroniclers. Read past chapter 24 of Matthew. And look at it like this. God and Jesus are merciful and love you - along with everyone else.

• ziddina
    ziddina

To jookbeard... Who suggested I look up Kate's post #12, quoted below:

"I know this may be a long shot.
    But is there anyone who has a new wolrld translations bible and or official wt publications that they could/ woild b willing to send me??
    Just so i can be fair and look up both dides of the argument??? Ta x ...."Kate82, post #12, page #7

Yeaaaaahhhhhh..... That is rather strange.

Interesting that she knew the name of their bible, without ever having had a "study" with them...

• ziddina
    ziddina
    [Chariklo, page #8] "You see, different people take things differently. I read Healthworker's posts and see an bright, interesting and lively mind. I haven't once seen him slag off anyone.
    Why do you call, him a troll?
    How would you define troll?

"Troll", as it was defined to me on this early thread of mine: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/174687/1/Help-I-dont-know-a-BLASTed-thing-about-TROLLS

One of the best definitions I've ever seen, describes "trolls" as:

"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response [1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

A more complete consideration here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll..."

Posted by Burn the Ships... With whom I don't get along very well. But I agree with the information he posted.

Now that I've gotten to this last page, I see that you've posted the same definition, but failed to perceive the ugliness of Healthworker's recent thread...

Looking at Healthworker's thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/adult/240264/1/How-are-hateful-atheists-helping-struggling-witnesses-on-JWN-or-society-in-general

That is one of the most divisive threads I've seen started on this board. That is why I suspect that he's a troll.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I suppose it could've been fishy. But I sure would feel bad if we drove a questioning girl away by accusing her of being a troll when she really wasn't. There are a hundred reasons why she could know what the NWT is. She'd been here for a week or so lurking among the other posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit