Thinking of becoming a JW.

by Kate82 231 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

A headscarf? Why would you be any less deserving of respect than the gentleman that came to the door?

Respect goes both ways. Do you feel that he's "superior" or somehow better than you? Can you articulate why you would feel that way? I'm just curious; I'm not trying to criticize.

• Kate82
    Kate82

Just in previous posts and research it said if a man and woman came together, and i asked the woman to teach me wiyh a "brother" present she has to show respect to him.

I wasnt sure if i had to aswell. Maybe i picked it up wrong?? I dont mean to offend, im just not sure of how the respect thing works. And i never like to be rudeor disrespectful to people. Maybe im too soft??

• tornapart
    tornapart

Kate, whenever a JW finds someone who listens and shows interest they will come back and try and talk to you some more. The more interest you show the more they will return. It's possible that the other lady wasn't available to return on this occasion and the man just accompanied her this time and no you won't have to wear a scarf. Be careful my dear, if you are shy and suffer with depression it could make you very vulnerable. One of the things all good JWs want is a 'bible study' with someone. This is what they'll be aiming for. They've got your interest, they'll come back again and again to try and get you interested in having a bible study. If you let them inside your house they'll feel like they've got you. They'll get you to have a study in a little book and they'll come for about an hour every week and then soon will be encouraging you to come to their meetings. Don't be afraid to say no to them if this is what you feel.

• tornapart
    tornapart

The 'scarf' idea only comes into play for the woman doing the teaching in front of a man. As you'd be the one learning then it won't apply to you. :)

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Kate82 - I think you will find cognitive behaviour therapy very helpful. Stick with it - getting healthy takes work, but it's worth it.

Just a comment re Buddhism. I don't know a lot about it, but I'm currently working closely on a project with a practicing Buddhist. Her ideas are very close to mine. There is a focus on keeping mind, body, soul and spirit healthy, and in balance. She has philosophies like appreciating single moments in time rather than being distracted by the past or the future, and embracing good things in life each day. It's a very positive perspective, one that encourages self-knowledge and insight.

I agree with those who have expressed concern about you feeling like you could be easily led. Take your time on this journey and make sure you are as healthy mentally as you can be before you take any major steps. You are doing the all right things.

• Si1
    Si1

Hi Kate.

Comments have been madeabout your vulnerability, you will be safe with JW's, but not with non-jws or apostates, who have been corrupted.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Think again, and read some of the material here. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones.

http://bloodban.byethost17.com/index.html

http://soul.host-ed.me/

http://www.144000.110mb.com/

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

you will be safe with JW's, but not with non-jws or apostates, who have been corrupted.

Kate, it's important to understand where JWs are coming from. They are terrified of "apostates". That is why they are told not to come to sites like these. Si1 has been told NOT to come and comment on sites like these. Yet she does so anyway.

The statement that she made is telling. They view everyone that leaves the JW organization as "mentally diseased" (their words, not mine). As far as danger goes, there are few organizations that could be MORE dangerous. One reason for this is that it looks SO good from the outside. Before you are baptized you think, "Why do people stay away from this religion? It's THE TRUTH!!!"

As was discussed before, there are inner doctrines, and outer doctrines. The outer doctrines are what you learn about before getting baptized. The innter ones are the ones that would scare you away, so they hide them until you get baptized.

What are some inner doctrines? Here's a few:

1. 8 men in Brooklyn have ULTIMATE authority over you and your beliefs. You are required to obey and believer EVERYTHING that they say

2. If your family is not a JW, you are to limit your association with them. You can "preach" to them, but it is not recommended to have much association with them as "Bad association spoils your useful habits". If any of your family was a JW and leave, you may never speak to them ever again. This includes friends as well

3. There are rules about literally every aspect of your life. If you are married, there are rules about what sorts of sex can and cannot be practiced by you and your husband. If you have children, they are not allowed to go to college. Etc...

4. Everything of this world is of the devil. You cannot vote. You cannot run for any office. You cannot discuss political matters. You cannot contribute to charities such as the Red Cross or the Salvation Army. This also effects your employment. If you deliver pepsi or coke, you cannot work a route that mainly delivers to military bases.

5. You cannot have anythingn to do with any other religion. This includes not doing any work for any religion. If you own a security company, you cannot install a security system for a church. You cannot do Yoga. You cannot read anything or watch anything that has to do with God that is not produced by the 8 men in Brooklyn.

Thos are just a few. There are literally HUNDREDS of other rules governing EVERY aspect of your life. That is why we here call them a "high control group".

What you will find out if you continue talking to them is that they do not think they are being controlled. They will also tell you that EVERY ONE of their rules is based on the Bible. This is not true.

Please continue to do your research. Please watch this video in full. It's important. It's old, but accurate regarding the history of Jehovah's Witnesses (aka the Watchtower).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uvp5Q1pd_Q

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Normally its 2 ladies that come not a Gentleman and a lady. Why would this now change??

For safety, they nearly always work in pairs, often with a friend or family member but not always with the same people. The man was probably her husband.

"we'll get a bible for you too..." indicates that they didn't have the Bible with them, but even if they did have it, I doubt they would drop it off without talking to you. They need to talk to you to convert you and that is the primary purpose of anything they do for you.

Whenever someone offers you some kind of salvation in exchange for control over your life, you should check their credentials and their history before you study their offerings as some kind of Truth. JWs aren't the only high control group that preys on people at vulnerable points in their lives. I've seen a different lot outside the British Museum handing out pamphlets offering salvation from their version of Armageddon. All nice looking, well dressed people with smiles on their faces. It was quite while ago, so I think their Armageddon is past it's Use By Date, just like so many Watchtower forecasts.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Put Joan Cetner in Google & read all the wonderful testimonies of EX JW's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit