• cantleave
    cantleave

How has god made it obvious he exists?

• tec
    tec

Tammy serious questions,

Okay, Jam :)

"Personal relationship with Jesus".
    The problem is, no one ever said what this actually ment.
    What exactly is a personal relationship with Jesus?

Well, I don't think I've ever used that expression.

But I guess it would mean that one would be able to go to Christ, themselves. Bring their problems, their questions, their hopes, etc... to Him. I'm not sure how others would describe it. I do know that for me, I also know that He will answer and He will keep his promises... those He made to everyone.

I started out just recognizing the truth and the love in his teachings, and loving and following Him for those, and then someone said, "He's ALIVE, you know... He does speak. You can hear Him." I also saw that this was written, and so I asked Him to give me ears to hear Him also, to do what He wants OF me. I trusted that He would, and I kept asking... and one day I heard Him. He was there before I learned to recognize Him or listen; I just didn't know it was possible, and so i never listened so as to hear Him.

First and foremost I would say that there is love in a personal relationship. I would also say that in a personal relationship, you would know that He hears you, and if you listened, you could hear Him also. That is how it is for me. I think that love is the most important aspect, though, in a personal relationship.
    I was born and raised in a Christian household. Went to church as a youth, I prayed and ask God to forgive my sins. As a young man in Vietnam I prayed a lot. While serving in Nam a friend, older then most of the guys calim to have a personal relationship with God. We spent many nites in his tent discussing this. The poor guy had a difficult time, but he talk about his personal relationship with Jesus. Why couldn,t I have that personal relatioship.

I can't answer that, Jam. Sounds to me like he had both trust and love in Christ. But I do not know him or his discussions with you.

I might suggest that you did not (rather than could not) have that personal relationship with him because you did not know him. But that is a suggestion only. You need to ask yourself, and Him, that question.

I would have continued to love him even if i had not learned to listen, and perhaps hear Him. I would have continued to follow Him via his teachings as best as I could, also because i loved Him.

The same questions I ask him I ask you, how do you know if you have.

I hope i answered that for you.

Just as NC said, it,s not like I wasn,t

seeking it I made every effort to get it. It would have been
    nice if Jesus had met me half way.

He did this for us all... more than, imho. By coming here. By laying down his life for us. By teaching us. God communicated to us (still through His Son)... 'our' way, as we needed. We need to now come to Him, in spirit... that is what He IS, that is what GOD IS, and also what we are.

I know how hard this world can make that, Jam. I do. But He IS there.

I hope that may help, and i pray that you will be given ears to hear and eyes to see, if you want them.

Peace to you,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It is often pointed out that Jesus laid his life down, and that made him more special than anyone. He laid his life down. He died for us.

I would never cheapen someone sacrificing their life for another. It happens every single day, from very normal humans. It is extraordianry, but not unheard of. We have soldiers dying right now, and not because our lives are in direct danger, but they are dying for ideals they believe in. We have rescue workers who die for strangers while trying to save them. These are extraordinary people. Let's put it into perspective. Jesus was executed. He didn't step in front of a bullet. He didn't run into a burning building. He didn't jump into turbulent waters. He was executed. The result of his death has been thousands of years of bloody wars, slavery, oppression, and very rich churches.

Nobody ever says that this person died saving another life, and so we should adopt his/her ideals and live our lives as that person said we should. This thing about Jesus 'laying down his life' is always said with such reverence, and as an argument for doing things his way. If things really went as reported, he died a political death. It's sad. It's a shame. It always is. Why should his death be more sacred that the deaths of humans all around us, even today?

• tec
    tec

Tammy; For got to say this.

Kay ;)

I have a personal relationship with my wife, unconditional
    love. I know her and I will do anything to make her happy
    and she the same for me.
    The problem, you have this
    personal relationship with Jesus but what about his Father.
    When you say personal relationship with Jesus are you
    saying God?

I would be saying with His Son. Through Christ I can approach His Father. Christ being the mediator between man and God. There is a relationship... I love and respect and trust my Father in heaven. But one cannot skip Christ to get to God.

Why don,t people say they have a personal
    relationship with God instead of Jesus?

I can't answer for what people say... but again one cannot skip Christ to get to God. "No one comes to the Father except through me."

I hope that helps. I don't tend to think that way, so i might not explain well. I tend to try and DO what is asked of me, and just love and listen as best as i can.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

But those searches all included looking at God through someone/thing else OTHER than simply looking at God through Christ. .... Tec, referring to NC investigating other churches/religions/etc.
    Interesting. And how did you conclude that? Are you sure about it? Because you are so very wrong, I don't even know how you came up with it. Perhaps because you don't really believe the many things I have said about my search. ALL those searches included this? Really? Tell me more.... NC

I came up with it because if you are searching various churches or religions to find/see/know God or truth... then that is not looking solely at Christ (the truth) to see God. That is looking at churches and religions and perhaps their views on God or Christ... isn't it?

Please explain to me what I am not seeing in that.

Peace,

tammy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Yes I am trying to learn Coptic. I'm doing a one year stand alone course at a local college. There are twelve of us in the class and most others seem to be interested in the language from an Egyptology perspective rather than biblical studies, but we are going to look at some biblical and apocryphal texts.

That's super interesting. Well, you will have a leg up in learning ancient Egyptian, if you want to move in that direction.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I came up with it because if you are searching various churches or religions to find/see/know God or truth... then that is not looking solely at Christ (the truth) to see God. That is looking at churches and religions and perhaps their views on God or Christ... isn't it?

Please explain to me what I am not seeing in that.

Please explain to me why you continue to ignore the comments that I have made about looking at churches and religions was not the entirety of my search---just as studying with JW's was not the entirety of YOUR search. Yet you continue to ignore all of my comments that don't fit in with what you already believe about this. Perhaps it is because you cannot accept that someone would look to Christ, try to learn about the father through that Christ, try to see evidence of that Christ, and simply conclude that it is not there? You make many assumptions, and ignore all statements to the contrary. It is tiring. I can understand how this would be hard for you to accept, because you are convinced that Christ talks to you personally. You assume that everyone who goes on the same search will here this voice----or they have done something wrong.

You see, for what you say to be true, then it MUST work for everyone. Therefore, the fault is always with the person and not with your concept of this god. Otherwise, he would be playing favorites, and that does not fit into you definition of who he is. If what I say is true, it allows for the conclusion that there is a god, and the conclusion that there is not a god. Therefore----I must have done something wrong.

CAN YOU HEAR ME? I have said that my search INCLUDED looking into churches and religions, but it included a great deal more. It included prayer from my heart, deep thought, asking for help and revelation----it included all of that. Try NOT to dismiss this portion of my comments to fit in with your worldview. And the only thing you CAN say, otherwise you would be wrong, is that my heart was not REALLY in the right place, because if it had been, I would have made contact.

Jesus must have a very narrow set of rules to get in touch with him, from your point of view. One wrong piece of information, one idea that is off just a little, no matter the intention, no matter the open heart, and the entire thing tanks. If I go to Jesus and say whatever it is he wants--just show me, and nothing happens because maybe I don't have a good understanding---because THAT is what you blame this entire thing on, that I didn't have a proper understanding--then what can I tell you? Your christ is too discerning for me. You say--go to the Christ--that's what you do for answers! So I say, I did go to the Christ, I asked for answers. So you say---well you didn't have the right understanding of christ when you went, so it didn't work! And I say---what the hell do you think I was going to him for? Understanding.

Sheesh---magic spells are so freaking tiring.

• tec
    tec

It is often pointed out that Jesus laid his life down, and that made him more special than anyone. He laid his life down. He died for us.

I think laying down one's life even for those who reject you and make themselves your enemy is a little above and beyond what many would consider doing.

(Now even though some might say that made him more special than anyone... I think being the Image, Word, Truth of God makes him pretty special. Having power OVER death is pretty special too... such as his resurrection)

His laying down his life, however, shows his love... for us and for his Father.

I did not imply more than that.

I don't think people listen to him because he laid down his life (and yeah, laid down... because he had the power to stop his execution/call down an army from his Father). I do think people love Him for that though; as most would for anyone who did such a thing for them.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I think laying down one's life even for those who reject you and make themselves your enemy is a little above and beyond what many would consider doing.

Of course. That is a given. These are special people. I'm just trying to figure out why this particular death is considered so much more significant. I would think if this person was God's son, assured of his future, in constant contact, and with a clear view of what will happen, and knowing he will actually get to see the effect of his death, that it even makes it less special than the regular guy who has no clue, but is selfless and brave and committed.

A firefighter that dies in a fire can't even be sure he/she has succeeded in his/her quest. THAT is incredibly selfless, and holds me in awe. They have no assurance that the decision they are making will make any difference at all, but they do it anyway.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I think the whole concept of sacrificing your life for an unforgiving god is flawed and quite disturbing.

Chrisitans try to say this Jesus person did it for us. If in fact this person did sacrifice his life, he did it for a god that would not forgive us without someone shedding blood.

No wonder we have suicide bombers thinking they are doing gods work.

If this god were real, which he isn't. He would not get my respect with this tit for tat attitude.

A loving god would look at your heart and know without the need for shedding blood. This is an unnecessary ritual.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit