Jesus wife fragment is a fake

by Christ Alone 494 Replies latest social current

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/21/gospel-jesus-wife-forgery

Gospel of Jesus's Wife is fake, claims expert

Scholar says papyrus fragment believed to provide evidence that Jesus was married is a modern forgery

Karen King and Gospel of Jesus's Wife Karen King from Harvard university holds the papyrus fragment that has four words written in Coptic, which are believed to prove Jesus was married. Photograph: Rose Lincoln/EPA

A New Testament scholar claims to have found evidence suggesting that the Gospel of Jesus's Wife is a modern forgery.

Professor Francis Watson, of Durham University, says the papyrus fragment, which caused a worldwide sensation when it appeared earlier this week because it appeared to refer to Jesus's wife, is a patchwork of texts from the genuine Coptic-language Gospel of Thomas, which have been copied and reassembled out of order to make a suggestive new whole.

In a paper published online, Watson argues that all of the sentence fragments found on the papyrus fragment have been copied, sometimes with small alterations, from printed editions of the Gospel of Thomas.

The discovery has already sparked fierce debate among academics, but Watson believes his new research may prove conclusive.

"I think it is more or less indisputable that I have shown how the thing was composed," he said. "I would be very surprised if it were not a modern forgery, although it is possible that it was composed in this way in the fourth century."

His paper claims the work was assembled by someone who was not a native speaker of Coptic, which is a polite way of saying that it is modern.

He does not directly criticise Professor Karen King, of Harvard, who presented the fragment at a conference in Rome this week. He says she has done a very good job of presenting the evidence and images of the disputed fragment. He believes the papyrus itself may well date from the fourth century, but the words, he says, clearly show the influence of modern printed books.

In particular, there is a line break in the middle of one word that appears to have been lifted directly from modern editions of the Gospel of Thomas, a genuine Gnostic or early Christian text.

It is common for words to be broken in the middle in ancient scripts, like Coptic, which were written without hyphens, he says. But it is most uncommon for the same break to appear in the same work in two different manuscripts.

There has been no response as yet from King, who is believed to be still travelling after the Rome conference.

Martin believes this is a forgery comparable with a papyrus fragment that caused a scandal in the 1970s by being presented as a variant of the Gospel According to Mark, in which Jesus spent the night with naked youths.

"It's the same sort of technique – patchwork technique. This is particularly striking in the Jesus's Wife text, because it has little bits that are legible and they don't connect very well," says Martin.

There has long been speculation that Jesus might have married – most notably in recent years when it became a key part of the plot in Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Harvard Theological Review has decided not to publish Karen King¹s paper on the Coptic papyrus fragment on the grounds that the fragment is probably a fake.” This from an email Dr. Craig Evans, the Payzant Distinguished Professor of New Testament at Acadia University and Divinity College, sent to me earlier today. He said that Helmut Koester (Harvard University), Bentley Layton (Yale University), Stephen Emmel (University of Münster), and Gesine Robinson (Claremont Graduate School)–all first-rate scholars in Coptic studies–have weighed in and have found the fragment wanting. No doubt Francis Watson’s comprehensive work showing the fragment’s dependence on the Gospel of Thomas was a contributing factor for this judgment, as well as the rather odd look of the Coptic that already raised several questions as to its authenticity.

From: http://danielbwallace.com/2012/09/26/jesus-wife-fragment-judged-a-fake/

• designs
    designs

They used Romney's Mexi.Tan spray to make it look authentic.....

• undercover
    undercover

Like the recognized gospels are authentic historical accounts of a man who was born of a virgin, walked on water, healed the sick and deformed, raised the dead and rose from the dead himself.

Whatever...

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

And it's funny how the arm chair atheist scholars here have OVERWHELMING evidence for disavowing the gospels. Yet, many experts still hold to their validity. Amazing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The angel Moroni may need to guide the scientists to the golden plates that will straighten this all out.

We can't get anywhere with confirmed believers saying that we have found texts that put their texts in doubt. Hell, the Gnostic Gospels have already done that.

• undercover
    undercover

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Scoffers of fairy tale stories don't have to prove them false. Believers have to prove them true.

Present extraordinary proof and we'll go from there.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I guess what I find most sad about unbelievers is that God hasn't showed Himself to them in their lives. Must be lonely. Extrodinary proof? I have seen it in my own life. But that is mine to hold on to. If He hasn't shown Himself in yours, well...I'm sorry. Maybe you weren't looking.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yup, I've come to the same conclusion a few days ago, adding to Watson's analysis:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/236766/3/So-Jesus-had-a-wife

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

My son doesn't have to "look" for me, he knows I'm in his life. If we are god's children, then we shouldn't have to look for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit