wts made a video about masturbation IN SIGN LANGUAGE, WITH GESTURES

by rebel8 293 Replies latest members adult

• jeanpicard
    jeanpicard

"why does the english print version end at chapter 17?..........oompa

robert7 just told me"

The print version has an appendix, but there's not really a convient way to organize an appendix on a DVD or dowloadable video, so the ASL version just numbers the sections of the appendix as extra chapters.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Another tempest in a teapot, folks, that only confirms active JW suspicions about "apostates".

Deaf posters have confirmed that this is proper signage, so any critiques of the "vulgarity" of signs should be directed to ASL, not WTBTS.

Others have posted their experience of translating in KHs or conventions, except these videos are NOT for use in locations where non-ASL's are likely to see them: that's the nice thing about the internet, where it's possible to have dedicated resources for ASL available. Sure, the WTBTS could put these videos behind a PW-protected wall, but that's silly... Instead, those prone to insult could anyways not root around menus clearly labelled as for ASL, so as to be offended by only their own ignorance of the language of the hearing-impaired. It IS the agreed standard of communicating (language) for hearing-impaired, so don't be a bigot by making fun of how silly it looks in your eyes.

Quendi got it right when saying that a knee-jerk reaction against EVERYTHING the WT does only makes people look ilke fools....

Granted, the WTBTS should be questioned about policies of bedroom policing, but blame the Torah as the ROOT of the problem. The Bible itself regulates bedroom behavior (including adultery, onanism, sex during menstruation, etc), so consider fixing the REAL PROBLEM and eliminating 3,000 yr old ignorant unfounded superstitions from YOUR life.

• Kaiser
    Kaiser

Finnish tabloid website stara.fi made article of this, just read it. This is too funny

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I understand this video will not be shown in a hall. We hope. Some person might find it a lot easier to show the video than to make the talk himself.

But whether this ever shows up in a hall or not JWs do instruct the entire cong, kids included, about various sexual behaviors that they believe are sinful.

So if I was asked to interpret a talk about sex would I be expected to use the signs along with the facial and body movements? This was in a mixed cong where both hearing and deaf JW along with their kids were sitting together.

Personally as a woman who is supposed to be in subjection and who isn't even supposed to know about sinful sex I just can't see myself or any of the elders standing up and signing in this manner It would be too embarrassing.

Not all deaf people have their own congregations. At the hall around the corner from where I lived in Winnipeg there was 1 deaf couple. How many deaf JWs are in groups too small to have enough elders to create a cong? I would think that in most cases the deaf are a small number in any congregation and sit at the back or on one side of the hall with the interpreter in front of them.

The only way I see this video being useful is to teach on a one-to-one basis when it is appropriate age-wise. Not that I think masterbation is wrong or sinful but 6yr olds don't need to know about the sin of masterbation.

• BluePill2
  • Glander
    Glander

there is only one 'e' in "masturbation", it is pronouned "eeeeee!"

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Lady Lee said:

But whether this ever shows up in a hall or not JWs do instruct the entire cong, kids included, about various sexual behaviors that they believe are sinful.

As you know well, JWs DO believe it's their OBLIGATION to warn others about sin, and you cannot warn about something without using the words of what action is prohibited.

So if I was asked to interpret a talk about sex would I be expected to use the signs along with the facial and body movements? This was in a mixed cong where both hearing and deaf JW along with their kids were sitting together. Personally as a woman who is supposed to be in subjection and who isn't even supposed to know about sinful sex I just can't see myself or any of the elders standing up and signing in this manner It would be too embarrassing.

Not all deaf people have their own congregations. At the hall around the corner from where I lived in Winnipeg there was 1 deaf couple. How many deaf JWs are in groups too small to have enough elders to create a cong? I would think that in most cases the deaf are a small number in any congregation and sit at the back or on one side of the hall with the interpreter in front of them.

Just because the 'words' are so graphic to non-ASL readers should be of no concern: it's a clear-cut example cultural bigotry expressed over a protected class, and is quite akin to the school district telling Hunter that he has to pick a different name (!) since the ASL sign might be misunderstood by the hearing (and the District has since 'seen the light' and back-peddled)... You'd fight to protect Hunter's rights, and this is no different...

And you're making the case for possibly WHY the WTBTS may have posted these videos: it allows them to get the message out in an uncompromised manner for ASL, without causing embarrassment for others who may see the signs, or force the translators to compromise their message by spelling out the problematic words.

I still say it's a tempest in a teapot, and likely to backfire on anyone who makes fun of the WTBTS, as it only makes the critics look like insensitive oafs. They might as well make fun of different ethnic groups for their accents: it IS that bad, and reflects their own ignorance and bigotry....

The only way I see this video being useful is to teach on a one-to-one basis when it is appropriate age-wise. Not that I think masterbation is wrong or sinful but 6yr olds don't need to know about the sin of masterbation.

Well, the age-appropriateness of the subject matter is another issue relevant to deaf and hearing alike; it's a topic worthy of it's own thread.

• jeanpicard
    jeanpicard

" I understand this video will not be shown in a hall. We hope. Some person might find it a lot easier to show the video than to make the talk himself."

Actually, this video is shown at the hall--that's the whole point of it existing--but it's only shown in ASL congregations. Where a hearing congregation would read the Keep Yourselves In God's Love book, sign language congregations show the Keep Yourselves In God's Love DVD. It's the same information, studied in the same way, just in a different language.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Jeanpicard said:

Actually, this video is shown at the hall--that's the whole point of it existing--but it's only shown in ASL congregations. Where a hearing congregation would read the Keep Yourselves In God's Love book, sign language congregations show the Keep Yourselves In God's Love DVD. It's the same information, studied in the same way, just in a different language.

Well that explains it then. It was likely done to deal with concerns expressed over the issue, and the WTBTS found a solution that is sensitive to the needs of both the 'ASL only' and 'mixed' congregations.

The point remains: some on JWN do THIS community a disservice, IMO, by pouncing on EVERY move the WTBTS makes by characterizing it as a mis-step, as if it's PROOF of their wrongness. Nope: as the old saying goes, even a blind mouse finds the cheese. The mistake is reverting to absolutist binary thinking, and assuming that EVERY move they make is wrong. Real life ain't cut and dry like that, folks, and is EXACTLY the same version of reality sold by the JWs (the classic duality, binary mode that humans seemingly LOVE to use).

Instead, all criticism hurled against JWs over this issue is likely to come right back, revealing biases and a willingness to trample on facts and 'spinning'. That's not a valid way to make the point (unless you're running for office: all is fair in love, war, and politics, it seems).

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

I think the nub of it is this.... The guy with the excellent facial expressions could only be bested by Jim Carrey.

Whatever anyone says, it is hilarious

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit