Watchtower found guilty ruled to pay 7 million to 1 victim? wow

by yourmomma 361 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,finally,I always knew their policy on child molesters is their greatest liability.

I especially hope every single one of Jehovah's Witnesses hears of this case. I'm so sick of them self-righteously condemning other religions for this,and in the same breath denying it even exists in the Watchtower organization.

• cedars
    cedars

For clarity sake - Watchtower of NY is not really where most of the money is. Watch Tower of PA is where the money is. I wrote about this in an article that is on Freeminds.org. which explains which entity owns what.

Exactly Barbara. If the judge recognized all the various legal entities as one giant monster (which it actually is), the cash amount would be much higher than $30 million. You could probably add a couple of zeros.

Great work by the way, I know you did work on this behind the scenes. It's appreciated!

Cedars

• sir82
    sir82

So how was it determined that the defendant in this case would be WT of NY and not WT of PA?

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I'm sure they're going to appeal and then try to settle for something less than 7m. It's not the money that is the problem but the bad PR. I'm shocked that they didn't get this settled out of court.

I will be bringing this up to my wife. The punitive award again will largely be symbolic and may not stand on appeal but hopefully the mainstream media will pick this up. Especially with they Sandusky trail going on right now here in the US (a football coach charged with sexually abusing disadvantaged kids and the university he worked for accused of covering it up). I've heard many comparisions between Penn State and the Catholic Church and other religions where the organization hides wrongdoing for the sake of its reputation. I think the common person is getting sick and tired of this and wants to punish those institutions for putting it's PR over an attacked child.

by their fruitage, you'll know them - yes WT, we know you!

• DT
    DT

I found this on the website. It shows the WBTS of Pennsylvania as a defendent. (It could be outdated information. I don't know.)

Plaintiff Jane Doe

Defendant The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., a Corporation
    Defendant The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, a Corporation
    Defendant The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, an unincorporated association
    Defendant The North Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, Freemont California
    Defendant Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, a Corporation
    Defendant Jonathan Kendrick
    Defendant Fremont California Congregation of Jehovah's Witness, North Unt

I went to http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/domainweb/html/index.html and used case number HG11558324

• Diest
    Diest

They have multi-layered corporate structure to prevent heavy losses. WT of NY is responsible for administration so it is the one that can be held liable. WT of PA gets to hold the money, but it has no direct control...so it cant be suited.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If the WT does not disclode these other funds avail, they can be held in contempt of court. We all know of a certain person who is back in jail because they fibbed about a 6 figure savings

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Thanks you Barbara for the update on this.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Diest you have a PM

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Wha:

If the WT does not disclode these other funds avail, they can be held in contempt of court. We all know of a certain person who is back in jail because they fibbed about a 6 figure savings

You know my ex?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit