New DVD "Become Jehovah's Friend"

by treadnh2o 364 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bohm
    bohm

Inspired by Cadas, my take on lesson 1:

Lesson 1 treats a so-far unsolved problem in parenting: how to explain your child to clean up after himself. In the cartoon the puzzle is posed by Caleb playing with marbles on a floor, then getting up to run away. If you was given days to script the best and most healthy mode of reasoning to teach your child in this situation, what would it be? "What if mummy and daddy made a mess in your room", "who is going to clean it up", "can we agree you only leave toy on the floor in your own room"? Would you even bother? The watchtower tackle the problem as this:

Caleb should visualize how dad will walk down the stairs and slide in the marbles -- zoom out, the house shake for 10 seconds while we hear the sound of things getting broken; a piece of furniture flies through a window; cut to inside of the house. Mom and dad stand in an accusing pose angry at a remorsefull Caleb (bonus parenting puzzle: One of you had a serious fall due to an innocent mistake. How guilty should you make your child feel?). A broken TV lies between them, everything is in a scary blue-gray tones. But things are not over, suddenly the TV explode, sparks rain over a sad-looking Caleb and the teddy bear he cuddle burst into flames (i kid not).

The moral of the story: A dismissal of a command may result in loved ones getting hurt, getting angry and you missing something dear to you. so you better clean up the marbles!

It could be argued this is reading to much into a film which is not meant to be taken litteral but I find it hard to accept. Firstly it would be a first time for the WTS to give a lesson on obedience it does not mean to take dead serious (the WTS is fameous for rather having their members, even infants, die over a blood doctrine due to a particular phrasing of a single sentence in Corinthians), and Antony Morris certainly seemed to have missed that memo when he gave the introduction.

Secondly the lesson directly mirror the reality Caleb will live in when he grow up and become a full member: If you disobey a command you face being disfellowshipped. If you are disfellowshipped your loved ones (as it is phrased in the watchtower again and again) will be "hurt" when they are coarsed into shunning you, and you will loose your loved ones and not just the teddy.

On a plus side, according to the WTS the advice do work: Caleb clean up up his marbles, and everybody happily have family worship at the end.

• therevealer
    therevealer

Some are crying out - lawsuit - copyright infringement. That can't happen if they actually paid Pixar big bucks to make the dvd. Or heaven forbid one of the executives with clout "came into the truff" and made sure it was produced for nuttin. (parody intended)

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Have you thought, this could go viral, You Tube 20 million hits all seeing the bullshit manipulation and throwing up. Here in the UK it's going to be on comedy programmes, they will send it up mercilessly.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

The whole thing just screams, "We've never raised children and have no idea what we're talking about!"

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

That's brilliant Slidin', I'm thinking Russel Howard's Good News, what do you think?

• cuckoo in the nest
    cuckoo in the nest

If you want it to go viral, get it posted on 4Chan. Those guys will tear it to pieces.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

someone i think touched on this, but think about this, all the time and money that they put into this, and out of all the subjects they chose, they chose to make an issue of the kid playing with a toy wizard. the religion i grew up with is out the window, there is no more docterine, its not only about 1 thing, and that is obey the GB. thats it. and make no mistake, there is no difference between Jehovah and the GB anymore. in reality the GB IS jehovah.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

My comment from another thread, but it bear on the subject:

Here's what he GBs problem with magic/fantasy is: the NARRATIVE. It's not that Jehovah hates magic, it's that the GB doesn't want kids to get their narratives confused - both fantasy and JW religion are PURE FICTIONAL NARRATIVE. And once a kid discovers that not everything you read is true, it's going to cause him some cognitive dissonance. What other fantastical stories aren't true? Noah's ark? Moses parts the red sea? Jesus miracles?

The GB wants to keep their narrative separate and unique. Less confusion for the kiddies as they spoon feed them their fantasy: an upside-down worldview for the rest of their lives.

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

And all the JWs I know think it's so damn CUTE. Ugh! >:(

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

As a small child, I, like Caleb, did not have friends. Nice worldly kids who played with bad toys were bad, and even nice JW kids couldn't be fully trusted. My best friends were my stuffed animals.

That's why his teddy "dies". The only freind he is allowed to have will be taken from him, destroyed if he is not obedient. Classic fear tactic.

Over-reaction?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit