New DVD "Become Jehovah's Friend"

by treadnh2o 364 Replies latest watchtower bible

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

What's with the song? Be Blessed?! That's not typical JW speak. Hahaha...they're going start telling each other "Be Blessed!" but it's going to be more special when they say it than when other churches say it.

Did she say "Thank you for obeying"? Who says that?! They are really trying to drill this stuff in deep.

Crazy.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

I think Anthony Morris looks the Popes younger brother and better fed .

Or the Pope looks like Anthony Morris with the air taken out.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I think the husband is Russian.

Notice the kid is like 4 years old and he already knows the chapter and verse for 'Children, be obedient to your parents that it may go well with you...'

He's 'prolly already heard that verse 1,000,000,000,000 times in his short life.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I thought the word "godsend" sounded a bit odd in the mouth of a GB member. I'm not sure why but it doesn't sound terribly "theocratic" to me.

I also thought the song sounds like, "listen, obey, be depressed".

• sd-7
    sd-7

EE, thank you for the Worf facepalm. After watching those videos, I'm just stunned, really. Stunned.

I would've thought it would have made more sense for the kid to be playing with an airplane after the incident with the 'Warrior Wizard" or whatever. But hey, it did make for a cool intro. Even so, the Mom in this story seems (1) unusually stressed out and overworked, and (2) insidiously creepy. I mean, wow. Are they sending some kind of message about women, about how the GB feels about women? Or about how too many women actually are in the organization, especially those who try to be Sister Perfect? Because if this is how all women are supposed to be, then being a single JW is not such a bad idea...then again, the marital due may be equally crazy, especially with Esteban (translated "Steve", as no doubt the wife is "Selma", who took a punch or three until he became==>), the JW Latin Lover...

As for the dad, he didn't have to help Caleb clean up the mess he made--and if I was the Dad, I may or may not have helped, depending on the kid's ability to clean by that age. The kid has to see that it was his mistake and he has to own it by cleaning up the mess. But quite simply, why did the Dad feel it necessary to sit down and have a scriptural discussion with a very small child about something as simple as tracking dirt on the floor? It was an honest mistake, not an existential crisis requiring divine instruction. He's a kid, just tell him to take his shoes off, then clean up the mess he made. God doesn't need to enter the picture over every little thing. It seems like the Dad is almost rubbing it in the kid's face that he just had to clean up the mess. I've been on the receiving end of that kind of talk and it makes a child feel far worse than they really need to feel over an honest mistake.

But it's just unsettling. It's like, I don't get why this kid doesn't just return the toy; why throw it away? Well, whatever. Odds are this "friend" was a JW kid, for all we know, ha ha... But it just seems like this would be a really disturbing family to belong to. There's just something off-normal about it. I mean, if, and I'm just going to call her 'Selma', since I don't know her name in the video, if they said it, if 'Selma' is like this with her kid, how does she regard her husband? I'm just curious as to that dynamic. It seems like she's not really the kind of person anyone would want to be around. Hence, maybe she wants to take all that frustration out on Caleb and make sure he doesn't have any friends, either... Nah, that's speculation.

Also, the need to pick up his toys...he has to have this detailed vision of utter household destruction if he doesn't clean up? Goes to show how extreme the mentality is supposed to be for him, then. The fact that the lesson is obedience and not cleaning up is unsettling in itself. Because shouldn't the lesson be cleaning up, not merely obedience for the sake of obedience? Because obedience isn't always a good idea in itself--unless you're the Governing Body... A valuable opportunity to teach a lesson about cleanliness in the home is passed up for the chance to emphasize brainless obedience. Because we don't want to teach our kids to keep their homes clean because it's important; we just want to teach them to obey, so that when they grow up, they continue to be...obedient children....

But the unsettling thing is that this is only the beginning. I mean, what else are they going to be talking about? Will it be this same family in the next episode? Dating? TV? Video games? Plaid shirts?

--sd-7

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

My son noticed that Dad and Caleb NEVER actually took their shoes off! They did no obey!! Now, bad things are going to happen for sure!!! I hope the teddy bear will be ok...

ETA: Oh never mind... I guess they did take their shoes off, so the destruction of the house has been averted.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I thought the GB member came across as smarmy, insincere and patronising, more like issuing a warning to failing parents who are obviously not doing their job properly as youngsters are leaving so in future the GB will also be instructing their children on how to be obedient to Jehovah.

Maybe I am just over sensitive.

• just Ron
    just Ron

I want a copy.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

very creepy....

the desperate mind control efforts are amusing and sad - all at the same time

Oh well - back to the real world. I just wanted to check in for a few minutes and see what was happening.

Nice to see a bunch of new posters. I will be back again!

see ya!

The Oracle

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Okay, let's talk about plagiarism (nothing new in music composition). The music from the opening scene in segment one is a blatant ripoff of "Die Walkure" by Wagner. Same trills, same horns, same phrases. If you must steal, steal from the best!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit