• tec
    tec

That is Lot's wife, not Job's.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    That is Lot's wife, not Job's.

LOL

Tammy's right on that one.

Job's wife is the ultimate in bad wives. Amongst JW's for sure.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Job 2:10
    But he said to her, You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

She was presented as foolish for not accepting the bad from god as well as the good...interesting that he perceived the evil coming from God.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    As for the prodigal son story, if a person truly loved their brother, they would just be happy that their brother had returned. Forgiveness granted, no conditions attached. Mercy and forgiveness, rather than an account of past wrongs. I think that was the point.

I'm sure love would win out in the long run. But his immediate reaction was critisized in the Bible. And I still feel he was justified in being disappointed and pissed at younger brother.

• tec
    tec

Yes, Still, and I my footnotes state that 'foolish' can be deemed as morally deficient.

Regardless, this is what Job thought of her comment. Her comment and attitude on this matter. You are speaking 'like' a foolish woman.

And it is interesting that he perceived both the bad and good to come from God, but I think the account is to show that there is more than we can see going on. That we do not have the understanding to make a judgment. But to stand firm, even if it feels as though God has abandoned you. Because he has not.

Peace,

tammy

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    my footnotes state that 'foolish' can be deemed as morally deficient.

I still say this represents a male perspective.

Good god! The woman just lost all 10 of her children!

Morally deficient or grief-stricken and depressed??

• tec
    tec

I think his reaction was pretty much the norm, too, Palm... but I think his father was gentle in explaining to him why he was celebrating, and why his eldest should also be happy. Perhaps because he also understood, and was teaching and offering assurances of his love for his eldest, rather than criticizing.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

He is right that both good and evil come from God though....since God created everything.

We cannot, I believe compare God to a parent in this instance....we may give birth, we may be parents...but we have no choice over the child we give birth to...we wait to see what it will be like when it is born.

God however, knowing all, does have a choice...and he must have chosen to give us Satan. You have to ask why? Well I do anyway.

If Satan is one of Gods children, as a parent would you let your child behave this way? Would you let thousands or millions of others suffer because of your childs actions?

And as for Jobs wife....the poor woman is put through hell on earth...sure god said to Satan don't do certain things but did he just forget that other people would be affected by his bet? Jobs wife, the children who paid with their lives, who were not part of any bet?

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

that's a great idea NC - bible stories from different points of view.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

In a court room people swear on the bible to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. If the bible is part myth and fantasy passed of as inspired holy writ, they might as well swear on a comic. How can we be sure that the story of Job is not just another fable that took place in an imaginary or spiritual dimension, just like the scientifically impossible tale of Adam & Eve?

If we doubt some of the bible’s content, we must doubt it all. Unless we accept the Bible as wholly truthful, we must logical question if it is truthful at all. If it is not entirely truthful then it must be considered a falsehood or lie.

The bible itself informs us that Satan is the father of the lie. So would it not be appropriate to conclude that the bible was perhaps inspired by Satan, perhaps to mislead the many millions of Christians that put faith in it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit