The true, unsung hero of the Bible....

by Unlearn 267 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Nc my dear.... I was arguing against the desert god, not satan.

LOL darlin'. . . very nice. I was responding to TEC, and am in total agreement with your statement.

With Christ, I am not building some theory off an interpretaion of one passage. I am reading many, many passages and examples to understand the truth of Christ, and hence, God.

As am I. Satan showed A and E that their god was keeping knowledge from them---holding them as slaves. He encouraged a rebellion from a dictator. What followed is exactly what you would expect to follow from the hands of an angry dictator. Death sentences, genocides, a big flood, specific earthquakes to swallow up rebellious ones, stonings, thought crimes----all of it. Many, many passages and examples to understand the truth of this god.

NC

• elderelite
    elderelite

As i have told you before tammy, love and respect you. You are reasonable and while we may not see eye to eye on everything i appreciate that we can have dialog and still be friendly even when we dont agree :-)

My retort to that would be, again, the bible is written by the "winner", the desert god and his son. Its written from THEIR perspective. They choose whats in and out, they frame the debate, they tell what we know and with hold what they choose. Whos to say in a court of law style telling, free from biase, that satan hasnt gotten a bad deal? How do we know he wasnt looking out for the kids... When we only know one side its Hard to say... I also have a hard time with more powerfull beings being portrayed as victiums

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It reminds me of a Family Ties episode where Alex went to England, and in a history class, he referred to revolutionary Americans as patriots, and the English referred to them as the rebels.

I don't know if that's how it is actually discussed, but POV and who is in charge of the pen really makes a difference.

NC

• steve2
    steve2

It all boils down to who is stronger. If we take the Bible as a literal account of history - and that's a huge leap of faith - then the stronger one of the two will win, regardless of right or wrong.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    The desert god, so called loving father, left the kids at the mercy of a superiour being for no reason.

How could god allow his subordinate Satan to violate the prime directive? Is a commander not ultimately responsible for his subordinates actions?

• tec
    tec

He encouraged a rebellion from a dictator.

But is there another passage that shows this interpretation... that Satan encouraged rebellion from a dictator? Or is it all based on this one interpretation of this one story? Because Satan himself seems NOT to have been encouraging rebellion from a dictator in his dealings with Job. He does seem to be accusing Job and all humanity, that we are only loyal when things are going good. If things go bad, then at the first opportunity we'll blame God...'curse god and die'.

My retort to that would be, again, the bible is written by the "winner", the desert god and his son. Its written from THEIR perspective. They choose whats in and out, they frame the debate, they tell what we know and with hold what they choose.

Love and respect also back to you, EE.

My retort to your retort... lol... would be that the bible is written from the perspective of the Israelites (not the whole thing, as I do not take it as an all or nothing). The Israelites who wrote and experienced the things written, as well as the scribes and translators who later... well, scribed and translated.

"Satan" means adversary or accuser. Pretty sure he was named for the meaning of the word.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

that Satan encouraged rebellion from a dictator? Or is it all based on this one interpretation of this one story?

It's ALL interpretation. But I base it on the god's reaction. He reacted as an oppresive dictator---genocide, worldwide flood, stonings, earthquakes. This was not the work of a benevolent ruler that wanted people to serve him out of love.

He does seem to be accusing Job and all humanity, that we are only loyal when things are going good. If things go bad, then at the first opportunity we'll blame God...'curse god and die'.

Perhaps satan is no better than god. This may simply show an ongoing competition between the two, and so they made a bet on Job. Or maybe the story was written by the winners---and therefore---all these horrible things were blamed on satan as their benevolent god sat by. Maybe they couldn't internalize the concept that the person that killed millions gave job a hard time---that person being their god.

I would LOVE to see the story written from the POV of the canaanites---or from the POV of Lot's daughters. I'm actually considering starting a bible fanfiction thread where we tell bible stories from a different POV. EE---would you be up to contributing?

NC

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    I'm actually considering starting a bible fanfiction thread where we tell bible stories from a different POV.

I like that idea.

Did you see my post about Job's wife here? When you look at things from her point of view, she's not the bad guy.

Same for the older brother in the "Prodigal Son" thingy - younger brother asks for his inheritance early, pisses it away, returns destitute and now gets half of older brother's inheritance, too.....Who would'nt be pissed off at younger brother?

• tec
    tec

I thought that was a good perspective on Job's wife, though was she portrayed as the bad guy in the story? I'm going to double check.

As for the prodigal son story, if a person truly loved their brother, they would just be happy that their brother had returned. Forgiveness granted, no conditions attached. Mercy and forgiveness, rather than an account of past wrongs. I think that was the point.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well god turned her into a pillar of salt. I guess some would conclude she was a bad guy----but of course---it's always open to interpretation. If it doesn't fit in with one's belief about god, any are free to reinterpret it until it fits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit