The true, unsung hero of the Bible....

by Unlearn 267 Replies latest watchtower bible

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Unlearn:

So.....Job........his old lady thinks he's an idiot.....

The story is told from a man's point of view, too, as pretty much all stories in the OT are.

But think about it from Job's wife's point of view: She has just lost all 10 of her children in a horrific accident. She and Job and now destitute. Now she can do nothing but watch his pain, while her beloved husband wastes away from a disease that makes him foul-smelling and horrible looking.

When she said, "Curse God and die" , maybe she just wanted to end his suffering.

• jam
    jam

So after two days of discussing the true nature of

GOD vs Satan. what do you think of GODS attributes,

Eternal,Faithfulness,foreknows,good,holy,Immutable,

Impartial,Incomprehensible,Infinite,Jealous,Justice,

Longsuffering,Love and Mercy. Do these attributes

describe GOD?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Baalam and his talking ass.

My wife just insists that I go outside when mine begins to talk.

Rub a Dub

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Jam; er no

• sabastious
  • tec
    tec

TEC Satan was bad in the Job story, but Jehovah is the real evil one.

If you let your archenemy kill your best friends kids, ruin him financially, and get him sick; you are an evil, terrible, being. Especially when you let your enemy do all of that just to win a bet.

Well, this is another topic. Though I would suggest that this is a very jw view of this book. I would suggest checking into various views on how this book should be read, including Jewish views, before deciding that the jw's got it right.

This topic, however, is stating whether or not Satan is an unsung hero, and this story clearly shows him as NO friend to man.

Peace,

tammy

• Unlearn
    Unlearn

@ Tec...
    heh...maybe the story shows him (Satan) as no friend to JOB, who after all was doomed in this situation because of his link to his God....but NO, youre wrong, this story does not show him to be no friend to MAN, in general.
    Job does not represent ALL mankind. sorry.
    your argument is called a 'reductive fallacy'. its a statement of gross over-simplification.

would be like me saying that, by virtue of the way God dealt with Jezebel it can be assumed that God hates women.

Job is not all mankind. neither is Adam or Eve.

AGAIN, SHOW ME ALL OF THE EXAMPLES IN THE BIBLE THAT SHOW THAT SATAN IS NO FRIEND TO MAN.
    ?

• tec
    tec

Like I said, if you really think Satan is an unsung here, so be it. But the only time you can show Satan as this 'hero', is to interpret his actions in the creation account. Even though he never spoke in defense of Adam and Eve, or said to God that it was him who had incited them to disobey. He incited them to do wrong, and then let them take the fall. I personally would not interpret this as him being their friend. Coupled with him inciting and causing harm against Job, and he is not sounding like much of a hero to me.

Do you have more examples of him being an unsung hero?

Peace,

tammy

• Unlearn
    Unlearn

@ Tec -

the very idea of an 'unsung' hero means that he is UNSUNG.
    therefore, there is no passage in your Bible that states that Satan is a 'hero'...primarily because the entire book is slanted propaganda from the opposition.

if youd like examples of him being an UNSUNG hero, and the reasons for which, go alllll the way back and read my first post.

• tec
    tec

Okay... but I think that his follow-up actions in the creation story, coupled with his actions in the Job story, counter the idea that he is a hero... unsung or not.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit