Dan Savage talks about the bible and Christian students flee

by Terry 319 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• watson
    watson

Too bad the thread has gone this way.

The speaker is trying to make some good points. The religious folks were making a statement by walking out. He was offended by their rude protest, so....

I disagree with his approach, even though I have to agree with his line of reasoning.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Watson

cheers

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

BTS,

Do you realize that he's fighting for the rights of gays and lesbians that get insulted, beaten up, and killed? Have you ever heard the names that gays get called?... even in the Kingdom Hall? Do you know anyone that's committed suicide because they couldn't deal with the stigma of being gay?

And do you realize that you're protesting that Savage would call some anti-gay, pro-Bible, pro-slavery aspiring journalists "pansy asses"?

If it's how you feel, BTS, don't be a pansy ass yourself. Just come out and admit that you endorse biblical slavery and you want God to kill all gays.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    And do you realize that you're protesting that Savage would call some anti-gay, pro-Bible, pro-slavery aspiring journalists "pansy asses"?

I am not anti-gay or pro-slavery, although the Bible is a religious text for me. However, if I were sitting in that auditorium and he went on that rant, I would have walked out as well. He spoke with the intention to offend, so what is the big deal if some people took him at his meaning?

Would Savage deliver a similar tirade against the Koran in front of an audience of Muslims?

I really doubt it.

Just come out and admit that you endorse biblical slavery and you want God to kill all gays.

Really, is this necessary? It is a ridiculous statement.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Watson: "Too bad the thread has gone this way."

Last semester there was an incident on campus that was kept very quiet. It has made us all very conscious of the issue that gay-bashing is still a serious problem.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It's funny. The bible, as taught to children much younger than highschool, is used to support the persecution of homosexuals, the oppression of women, genocide, slavery, hatred, stonings, and rape, but someone comes along and tell those same children it's bullshit, and HE'S the profane one. Because he isn't polite enough. I guess he is held to a higher standard than religious people who scream that gays will burn in hell forever.

Look, they knew what they were getting when they asked the guy to talk. Someone needs to call it what it is. Bullshit. Oh dear, the word is harsh. *shudder* When it comes to the atrocities mapped out in the bible, the word is not harsh enough.

NC

• cantleave
    cantleave

BTS - I still cant see the bullying, please explain.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Would Savage deliver a similar tirade against the Koran in front of an audience of Muslims?

If Muslems were to come to a conference in Seattle, yes, he would deliver a similar tirade.

• watson
    watson

As BTS said, he would walk out. He is a religious man that looks to the bible for answers, as over 1 billion others do.

The bible may indicate that homosexuality is immoral, but it does not justify humans taking "the law" into their own hands, so to speak, and punishing other humans(making outcasts, bullying, abusing, killing)....well at least the "New Testimant" doesn't justify that....hmmm, kind of confusing.

Well worth discussion.

While the discussion/dialoge continues, I'll let "god" be the judge, and until it's clear, I'm working on treating my fellow man like I want to be treated.

• darthfader
    darthfader

NewChapter: "Look, they knew what they were getting when they asked the guy to talk."

That's a good point and I would say the ones who invited him excercised poor judgement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit