Dan Savage talks about the bible and Christian students flee

by Terry 319 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The Anthony Bourdain episode where he visited his Michigan ranch was great.

I think that was made at his new ranch outside Waco, Texas BTS.

Seriously, I think we should give Ted Nugent some credit for the efforts he has put out for wounded veterans and his longtime stand against drugs and booze in the Rock&Roll world.

Anyway, this is all off-topic - which may be a sign that after 12 pages this Dan Savage rant has been beaten to death with many sticks.

Try to get into therapy, NewChapter. Start with some nice Texas BBQ and perhaps some authentic Tex-Mex for a week or so.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

And, this rant by Savage will have nothing to do to stop teen suicide (for whatever reason).

And you base this statement on your experiences as a suicidal, bullied gay teenager in 2012? Are you of the mentality "bringing attention to the problem will only make it worse, so let's just ignore it and it will go away"? That's what a lot of men say about the subject of battered women.

Anyway, this is all off-topic - which may be a sign that after 12 pages this Dan Savage rant has been beaten to death with many sticks.

Is that a reference to Matthew Shepard?

Just because you are evidently unaffected by kids committing suicide or getting murdered because of religiously-fueled intolerance, that isn't a great reason to change the subject to guns and bbq.

I agreed at university organizations that I would be an ally for the LGBT community and men against abuse, and I stand by that. Now I understand what they mean about often getting very superficial concern, then being told to 'just go away'.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

This is a problem for any oppressed group. People will make light of the problem and then ridicule the spokespeople. They will hold those people to high standards and if they don't meet them, then they feel the message can be dismissed. One look at history shows us this. Silly women, they want to vote. Arrogant Blacks, they want equal pay. OOOO LOOK! A riot. See what happens? OOOOO LOOK! Victoria Woohull is running for president. She is an immoral woman who believes in free love! SEE this is what happens when women want to vote. It set the cause back years.

And it will continue. odeargod Savage said bullshit. What's wrong with him? Kids are dropping like flies because of the bullshit, but how dare he call it out. He has done NOTHING for his cause!

And when James decides a subject is not worth discussing, it is common for him to come on the thread and repeatedly belittle it. This thread is 12 pages long because people do care about the subject, but he suggests we are just stupid or something. I don't know. But it happens a lot.

Yet I did allow for some comedy relief. Not to make light of the subject Billy. Back on topic.

NC

• james_woods
    james_woods

Billy, I have already stated here TWICE that I am a supporter of gay rights and am agains gay abuse.

I also said quite clearly that I think the STYLE of this Dan Savage presentation was counterproductive to that cause.

I have no particular personal beef against you, (never have had) - so why don't you just give this crap a rest:

Just because you are evidently unaffected by kids committing suicide or getting murdered because of religiously-fueled intolerance, that isn't a great reason to change the subject to guns and bbq.

Just because I did not care for Dan Savage's hyper-sensational style does not mean I am indifferent to kids getting murdered or committing suicide.

If I had just walked out on the limb you are on here, I would make an apology. You do as you wish.

James

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

He should apologize to me too. He said I should just come out and admit that I support slavery and gay killing.

Tal called me mean names too.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Asbestos flame suit, BTS.

And neither one of us were being anti-gay.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm sorry.

This is an issue that cuts very close to me.

Dan Savage is a voice that gives lots of LGBT kids hope and courage. Maybe he is 'coarse', but LGBT kids have heard far worse things directed at them than "pansy assed". It empowers these kids to see Bible-thumpers scurry like roaches when their anti-gay magic book gets challenged for being anti-shellfish and pro-slavery. It gives them hope when they see so many stay in the audience and show support for their civil rights.

But what the hell do I know? I'm just some idiot on the Internet that's trying to reach out to any JW kids that need support if their sexuality conflicts with biblical indocrination.

Wait. What the hell do I know? Let me share just one story from a conversation I had several months ago as an ally. I was riding home on the train with a guy and telling him about my JW background. He told me that he had a boyfriend that was a JW. I could tell that this wasn't going to end well as we continued talking. His JW boyfriend had committed suicide. We both cried. That was rather embarrassing on the train.

So, I'm genuinely sorry to anyone that might have been offended if I didn't seem adequately impressed by your heroic non-anti-gay posturing.

But I'm not going to shut up about this issue as long as there is a remote chance that I could somehow save just one kid.

Because it can get better, if they just give it a chance.

• Terry
    Terry

He has some interesting things to say, but, hasn't matured enough to find a way to place them in the ears of an audience.

An episode of West Wing pretty much said the same thing in a far more interesting way.

West Wing excerpt -- The Lovely Laws of Leviticus and Friends
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

Maybe West Wing just has better writers and the advantage of being able to cut out the bad stuff.

Savage made excellent points. They will stay with those who listened. The students who got up and left made an even stronger message. All those who watched it happen now fully understand how deep the hate goes. That will bring them up to the task ahead.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

AAAaack! Terry!

That liberal atheist actor persecuted that Christian actress by saying she belonged to the "Ignorant Tight-Ass Club"!

Stand back for the Cry-Baby Brigade!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit