Dan Savage talks about the bible and Christian students flee

by Terry 319 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

"Ignorant Tight-Ass Club"!

OH MY! Freaking bully.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Yikes! My mistake. Martin Sheen is one of those Catholic liberals.

This gets so complicated.

Maybe someone will be here shortly to let us know how to emasculate this messenger.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Billy....I 100% agree with your post above...don't EVER shut up about it. YOU helped to release my mind from that bullcrap reasoning...and I love you for that...this fight is worthy of fighting.

Yes those young adults had the right to walk out in protest....but did it make them look ignorant considering the subject being discussed....YES!

So when people were discussing what was said after the talk...what did they have to contribute to the discussion? Nothing more than preconceived ideas...because they didn't even stay long enough to find out what they disagreed with.....IGNORANT.

• Leolaia
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Leo: Thanks for sharing both "ZJ", and "Creationist Cat v ZJ". That's some good stuff right there.

thinkin': Sheesh, I just apologized to BTS and James for hurting their feelings and not knowing when to "just give this crap a rest". I'm a pansy ass compared to fighters like ZJ. I initially got to know some bullying and domestic abuse victims a year ago and started getting involved with such issues (and rather superficially, I must admit). It's been here at university that I've started to get to know a few from the LGBT community. It's all been very enlightening.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

I agree with Botchtower on this issue, this guy's mouth destroyed his own agenda!

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Creationist Cat is HILARIOUS.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The Nationalist Scholastic Press Association apologizes and makes the exact same points I and others on this thread did about Savage's behavior.

http://www.studentpress.org/nspa/

Statement by
    National Scholastic Press Association
    and
    Journalism Education Association
    Re: Keynote speaker at recent Seattle convention

At one of the plenary keynote sessions of the two organizations’ semi-annual conventions, Mr. Dan Savage had been invited to share with students the power of social media in today's world as well as speak about the problem of bullying of gay youth, an issue all too familiar in many American schools. Mr. Savage’s comments on April 13 veered from the topic however. At a point in his speech he criticized the Bible, at times using vulgar language. An immediate consequence was that some students and advisers walked out on the speech.

NSPA and JEA consider Mr. Savage’s use of harsh language and profanity to be inappropriate and offensive to many in attendance. This is not what our organizations expected. In his attempt to denounce bullying, Mr. Savage belittled the faith of others – an action that we do not support. Ridicule of others’ faith has no place in our programs, any more than ridicule of the LGBT community would.

Student journalism, like professional journalism, is built on the foundation of free speech. It should not shy away from controversial topics and viewpoints. But it should promote and engage in civil discourse. Mr. Savage’s speech fell short of that standard, and for this our organizations apologize.

Mr. Savage has also apologized for using inappropriate language in front of the convention audience.

The two organizations will review their procedures to assure the appropriateness of content to student audiences.

• james_woods
    james_woods

From Billy:

I'm sorry.
    This is an issue that cuts very close to me.

I understand. Accepted completely. And thank you very much - I have read many of your posts and thought that this was way out of character.

For what it is worth, a more palatable approach to gay acceptance (by a bible-based Church) would be the Anlicans and IIRC the Lutherans who have made progressive efforts to liberalize their views on this subject...including gay marriage and accreditation of gay clergy.

I saw the video last night on TV - while they cut out the words, it was clear that Savage called the bible "bullshit" more than once - you could plainly see it by reading his lips. That language was not necessary - it just drives away the people you are trying to convince.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I missed that from Billy.

Apology accepted, I can understand why the subject would bring out passion in you.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit