What's the JW reaction to new 16 page mags????

by diamondiiz 94 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

No reaction. No conversation afterwards about it. I think this is one thing in a long line of reductions/cutbacks that no one is concerned about it. I wonder when they're going to drop the public WT and just offer the 16 page awake?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Wait until they have to place them. I can remember having a choice of 2 viable articles, and if I didn't like one, I could use the other. And they had the Asleep! rag to place, offering 2 more choices. If none were appealing, the next set of rags was midway through the month, and I had another 4 different articles to work with.

Now, you are stuck with a bad article. You are uncomfortable using an article, perhaps because you are weak there or it is difficult to understand and explain, too bad. The Asleep! is of little help, as you will get one article to feature there as well.

Also, I can't wait until their "equivalent of a university education" gets nurfed again. When I was in it, they had 2 Asleep! rags per month, or 24 rags per year of 32 pages each. Then they nurfed it to one Asleep! per month, 32 pages. And now it is just 16 pages per month. Some university education.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Well my thought is........... in reality $ is tight for the average JW. I'm sure the WTBTS has tons and tons of $$$$ stashed but to make the average JW feel as if they care, they are making cut backs. Truth is they just ran out of things to say They can sum up "obey us or die" in 16 pages just fine

• james_woods
    james_woods

Have they suggested yet that the "voluntary" contribution for these cut-down magazines can now be half as much as before?

That would be logical, but heres betting that they want everybody to pay the same for them.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Basically the society has gone from producing 128 magazine pages a month to 64 per month over a few years.

They have actually halved their content output.

Hail the theocracy ever decreasing!

Does this mean more redundancies in the writing and printing depo's? - What is Bethel for anymore?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think you can split the group into three types:

1) the "What announcement?" type, who doesn't even pay attention and has no idea what is going on. I'd say that's around 70%

2) the "Ha! I knew it!" type, who anticipated this move. This includes apostates and internet-savy folks (the ones who study on their ipad) Probably 10%

3) the "What does that mean?" who knows something is going on but not sure why. . . The remaining 20%

I think it will really sink in come january 2013 when everyone is given a couple flimsy four page "magazines" to distribute. They're really just glorified tracts.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Later someone may notice the mags are thinner

the brother giving our talk kept saying how this is not the Org shrinking back, that this is them being progressive and moving ahead. He even repeated that twice in the prayer and stumbled over his words. It was quite amusing.

Those Ive talked to were initially confused but when you tell them its a cost saving measure they usually say "oh, that makes sense". Funny how the letter never directly stated that as an issue, it was more about the positives of the website, blah blah blah.

Why can't the WTS just say "in an effort to save money, we are reducing the size of the magazines which just end up in the bin without being read anyway. Also, of the 400,000 hits on our website everyday, 357,000 is from our own worldwide bethel staff and the rest are from apostates pasting our bullshit on anti-cult forums."

This would have been much less confusing.

• therevealer
    therevealer

Yes indeed. They will come out with an article that explains that now with the overlapping-magazines (new light) we only need half as many pages, blah, blah, blah.

• watson
    watson

The bro that gave the talk said something that I thought was telling. He mentioned that the work was being simplified. Then he mentioned that it seemed that most of what we are doing now is inviting people to our special events. Pointed to the Memorial "campaign", then the invite to the "Special" talk, and that soon we would be inviting folks to the summer conventions.

No more 5 minute sermons with 2 scriptures read and applied?? Those were the days.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Why even bother to print that rancid propaganda?

They could just take out leaflets and won't see anymore growth in the D2D waste your time lark.

I daren't ask the missus what she made of the announcement as she'll go into defence mode IE 'Oooops. He's mentioning the watchtower so therefore he's going to be negative because he's an MDA(TM)!'

It's not even worth asking!Of course the other thing is the missus probably wasn't even listening to the announcement just like she didn't even hear the 'overlapping' new light(TM) when that was spouted like the geyser of shit it really is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit