So my JW wife cheated on me. Need some help or at least a sympathetic ear.

by JonathanH 147 Replies latest jw friends

• dozy
    dozy

I dealt with quite a few of these "kiss , cuddle & grope" situations judicially over the years - from a JW situation , it will be a straight private reproof (unless anyone else knows about it - if your wife has told any of the sisters , the jungle drums will be beating as we speak ,so there is a danger that it gets widely into the public domain.) At least one of the elders will tell his wife all the juicy details after the JC , so you can be sure people will know about it anyway.

I don't know how "strong" a JW your wife is , but in practice what that means is that there isn't an announcement at the meeting but your wife won't be allowed to answer up for a couple of months , won't be used for demos etc and won't be allowed to auxiliary pioneer for 6 months or 1 year ( I forget how long.) If she was weak , nobody will notice any difference.

A JWs life is boring & unfulfilling. Some worldly guy or woman flirts with them over the water cooler & it gives them a buzz - forbidden fruit , if you like. It seems to be endemic in JW circles - hence the numerous pictures in the Watchtower with the "worldly" guy chatting up the sister in the office.

Lots of good advice from the other posters. The fact that she enjoys sex & affection and wants more is a good thing - millions of married guys would die for that situation. So there is something to build on there. I would be minded to write it off as a silly fling , if you both love each other , but I would watch that space - once she has the taste for a bit of "side orders" then the danger is that she strays again , and next time it is the main course. Good luck.

• caliber
    caliber

I am so glad people are sharing thoughts on such situations... as long as everything doesn't go into bitterness and name calling

I believe that not only dear Jonathan but untold others can get thoughts out of this and benefit. Advice can be taken or left , but it gives many perspectives and idea's so as to understand the true nature situation both from a male and female point of view .

I can see that several of these relationship threads are helping people to cope, to see they are not alone... humans are complex

we need are all the input possible to see the whole complete picture and therefore make more intelligent decisions I am proud

of most posters here who gave fair, neutral advise ..... there was no tailing off into male verses female scenario where all

value is lost in "protective self justification."

to JonathanH .... all the best I think there was some wonderful advise given... you seem like a very sincere, honest lovingly husband

I truly wish you all the best

Here are some quotes that I personally felt could prove helpful

"judgment, anger and criticism are likely to generate destructive fear, guilt, shame, embarrassment - and only make matters worse -Take your time - no rush. Be kind and forgiving, yet firm, whatever the outcome - we all make mistakes.
    his is not meant to minimize your pain or her actions....but I don't think this has anything to do with you. This person was probably feeding into her need to feel attractive, and she likely was very flattered. It may have felt exciting and all of those chemicals were probably taking over on the part of the brain that should have stepped in and made her run."

"The fact that she enjoys sex & affection and wants more is a good thing - millions of married guys would die for that situation. So there is something to build on there. I would be minded to write it off as a silly fling , if you both love each other , but I would watch that space - once she has the taste for a bit of "side orders" then the danger is that she strays again , and next time it is the main course. Good luck.
    A JWs life is boring & unfulfilling. Some worldly guy or woman flirts with them over the water cooler & it gives them a buzz - forbidden fruit ,Your wife was flattered by his obvious regard for her and allowed herself to take this further and her actions show recklessness and selfishness."

"Actions make one strong.... but moderation gives it charm " ~~~Richter

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I read your post without reading any replies. I'm no good with advice. Having read your words I'm so sorry for you.

I figure which ever way this goes things will never quite be the same again. Trust broken can be repaired but you'd still see the scars.

Time will tell. This is probably a crucial crossroads and it may take quite a while before there is an outcome either way. These things aren't resolved with a single conversation IMHO.

I wish you all the very best.

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

I'm sorry, brother... no fun at all.

There are some lessons here, I didn't read all the posts, but I'm sure at least some of what I say is going to be original.

She's obviously not that committed to her J-dubbedness... now's a good time to draw her away if that's your intent.

You have to swallow your pride and acknowledge that you're falling short somewhere. You're not making her feel sexy. You're obviously a busy man, but you HAVE to pick up the slack there. It's totally natural for a woman (or man) to be flattered by attention from the opposite sex. As a married couple, it's hard to keep the heat, the excitement going because you tend to lose some of the mystery. You need to regain some of that.

Some things I don't think anyone else has suggested...

1. if you shit in front of her, stop. Don't fart, burp, shit or do anything considered impolite in mixed company, in front of her.

2. text her dirty pictures and phrases during the day. Not of your junk, but of a body part she likes, or just of you licking your lips. Add dirty captions. "I can't wait to get home and bury my face between your thighs." that sort of thing.

3. take her to a "Lifestyle" or "Swinger" club. Almost everyone has one within driving distance. Sometimes you have to pay for a membership... Go on a theme night, or contact the club and ask when it's busy. You would prefer an OFF PREMISE club. ON premise means that people go there to have sex. You probably don't want that. An OFF premise club will have a dance floor and probably a designated area for sex if that's allowed. Have her dress much sexier than would normally make her comfortable. Many women there will be mostly nude. Which reminds me... if there's more than one club in your area, do some research. I guarantee that there is one club that the hot people go to and others that are populated by fat people.

Anyway... you get the idea. You have to do something overtly sexual that's well outside of your (as a couple) comfort zone. You think it made her comfortable going to another man's home? No. She was nervous and terrified, which was exciting. You need to think outside of the box.

And I agree with Found Sheep and others who said she needs to quit her job. Erase that dude's number from her phone. Etc...

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Thanks to everyone that wrote and PMed me. I am in a confused and emotional state as you might imagine. I'm trying to work trough these things in my head. We had a long talk last night, where I mostly blubbered like a little girl and told her how much she hurt me. She broke up with her boyfriend (my words not hers) last night, which sounds like there is some old timey joke in there.

"How's your day been?"

"Well my wife broke up with her boyfriend, so I guess I'm having a good night. My morning wasn't too good though."

One of them won't be working at that job for long, I don't know which one it is though. If she has to find a different job, that's going to put us in alot of financial hardships, she earns a good salary and I doubt she'll find a job that pays anywhere close to what she makes now.

I don't know if she went to the elders or not, and frankly I don't care. Everybody already thinks I'm the bad guy, this isn't going to change anything. And she already knows it wasn't my fault. I kept asking her what I could've done differently, what was it I wasn't giving her. She said nothing, that I didn't do anything wrong, and she was just stupid. I asked why she did it and she said she didn't have a good reason. I told her I didn't expect her to have a good reason, but there has to be a reason. She didn't know. That doesn't feel good enough for me. Is it wrong or unhealthy for me to want to know why this happened? Is this something I should pursue when we are talking to each other? I know I don't need more gritty details on exactly what they did or didn't do, but what about the reason? Is that healthy for me to pursue?

Emotionally I'm in a bad place. I feel like I just realized that the first 27 years of my life have been a catastrophic and embarrassing failure. I was a witness Until I was 23ish. I'm uneducated but trying, I have no friends or family, I work a crappy retail job for little money, I couldn't leave my wife if I wanted to. I would end up in a halfway house living off foodstamps. When I was a teenager me, and another witness guy my age used to have a small bit of rivalry over a girl. We were both considered the "smart ones." He got the girl, and he's a medical doctor now. I have a wife that cheated on me, and I fall asleep crying into my retail uniform. Up until yesterday I felt good about my life. Now I just realized how pathetic it really is.

I'm obviously mad at my wife, but there is a sick part of me that is jealous of her. We both grew up witnesses, we got married young. She's the only girl I ever dated, the only girl I've ever kissed. She will always have memories of that exciting and spicy love affair she had with that guy at work. I'll never know that excitement. I don't want to cheat on my wife, it's not even a temptation. I'm surrounded by attractive college girls that are going through the loose stage of their life, I'm friends with them, but not once have I even considered so much as flirting with any of them. But now she has this other romantic relationship, that while she may regret it, in the back of her mind she will always have enjoyed it. I'll never have that exciting exprerience. This thought makes me just as angry as anything. Is this wrong?

I don't know what to do. I'm just afraid of what I don't know, and if I would even want to know if there was more to the story. I'm afraid it's not over. She has feelings for him. That disgusts, angers and terrifies me. I just don't know.

For those that pretty much told me to man up and go with my gut, my gut is full of bile and shit, why the hell would I follow it's directions? There may not be a "right" way to handle things from here, but there sure as hell are alot of wrong ways. I'm going to ask for advice, and consider it.

Thanks again guys (and gals) for being there for me when no one else is.

• curiouscynic
    curiouscynic

You already know the reason. Listen... I've been the other man. More than once. It feels kind of shitty actually admitting that, but... I'm trying to help.

Part of it you can't compete with. A new romance (forgive the term) is exciting, you've got that part right. It is what it is. You can't win there. But she feels like she's missing something, that's why she did it.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to win her back without groveling like a pussy (forgive the term). She needs to know you want her, but she doesn't need you all weepy reminding her how much damage she's done. If you do that, you'll fall into a cycle where you make her feel bad about herself and she has to go find someone else to make her feel good. Does that make sense?

You need to get spicy. Lots of chicks get their minds blown by blue collar guys so quit worrying about your economic status. Do something outrageous that she won't expect. Pick a completely inappropriate time to let her know that you absolutely have to have her. Stick your hand in her pants in the grocery store checkout line. Step outside of your comfort zone. You're going to have to be a little extreme for the next few months.

And don't you fucking dare ask her any more questions about her relationship with the other guy. It doesn't matter. You don't give a shit about him. He's nothing. He gave it a shot and she came back to you. He obviously can't compete.

Play it right and you can be like Pequinita from South Pacific singing... "I'm gonna [fuck] that man right out of her head." <--- make more sense if you know the original.

• steve2
    steve2

Blunt advice is one thing andpossibly even welcome; but blunt advice peppered with expletives is quite another. There is no need that I am aware of for responses to this post using foul language as curiouscynic has done. Are the moderators aware of this?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Shut up Steve.

• lifestooshort
    lifestooshort

Right now you are in a good position to ask for a threesome. Sounds heartless I know but its true.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

JonathanH - I'm obviously mad at my wife, but there is a sick part of me that is jealous of her. We both grew up witnesses, we got married young. She's the only girl I ever dated, the only girl I've ever kissed. She will always have memories of that exciting and spicy love affair she had with that guy at work. I'll never know that excitement. I don't want to cheat on my wife, it's not even a temptation. I'm surrounded by attractive college girls that are going through the loose stage of their life, I'm friends with them, but not once have I even considered so much as flirting with any of them. But now she has this other romantic relationship, that while she may regret it, in the back of her mind she will always have enjoyed it. I'll never have that exciting exprerience. This thought makes me just as angry as anything. Is this wrong?

Hi JonathanH, turn off your computer and go out and make new "Worldly" friends, take your wife on a blind date, and flirt with those co-eds (but don't kiss them). If you want to stay married to your wife and are not going to marriage counseling with your wife, than at least read some marriage counseling books with your wife, or follow curiouscynic's advice. Your wife does not want to be reminded about her unfaithfulness to you. If you do decided to divorce your wife, than I am sure that the change will be difficult but you will adapt. Good luck whatever you decide.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit