My Father passed away during the night

by jwfacts 138 Replies latest jw experiences

• sizemik
    sizemik

Sorry to hear that Paul . . . sounds like he was a good bloke.

My Dad was a good bloke too . . . died over 27 years ago. I still miss him a lot.

My condolences to you and your family

• Paulapollos
    Paulapollos

I'm really sorry to hear that. Your dad sounds like a really good guy.

Take care of yourself.

PP

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

I'm very sorry to hear that. Your father clearly loved you, he even ignored the GB's direction to not keep contact with you.. You are who you are today because of how he brought you up, so be proud of that and remember that even if there isn't an afterlife, part of him will live on through you and your children. My thoughts are with you..

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am so sorry for your loss Paul. A good CO can make a differnce and I am sure, from what you have said, your father probably did.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thank you for the kind comments.

Tomorrow I am flying down to Hobart and will be attending the funeral on Thursday. It will be at the kingdom hall that I grew up in. I am dreading having to confront my old congregation, many of whom are no doubt angry out how things turned out. The funeral talk, a marketing pitch bereft of eulogies will be frustrating enough, without also facing the condemnation of certain members. I hope they will be able to be respectful under the circumstances. Dad had been concerned that attending the funeral may not be a good idea for me, but I know I will cope and it is important. At least many others I grew up with have left as well, and some will be there to offer support.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Jwfacts, I am sorry for your loss.

• etna
    etna

I'm sorry for your loss JWfacts. Hope it goes well for you at the funeral.

Etna

• factfinder
    factfinder

JW Facts- I'd like to offer my condolences too. It is a shame your Dad died at such a young age. He sounds like he was a very warm and encouraging CO and I'm glad you both made peace with each other and were able to be in touch regularly before he died.

Time goes by way too fast. My wonderful Mom died 11 years ago and my Dad 5 years ago. You do wonder where the time went.

I hope those at your old congregation will be respectful towards you at your Dad's funeral. (There was no funeral for either of my parents.)

Your Dad thought for himself and did not let the gb control him.

Take care of yourself and your family.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Paul, I'm very sorry for your loss. He sounded like a good man, despite being tied to JW dogma. I'm glad you two were able to come to some peace before he died.

As far as the funeral goes, do it for yourself and don't worry about the attitudes of the JWs there. He was YOUR father, and you have every right to be there as his son. You haven't mentioned how things are with your mother, but I hope the occasion brings her closer to you.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I think your father personifies most JW's these days. They don't take that much to heart any more. They accept it but ignore pounding the details into their heads but will defend it in a kneejerk sort of way. It is good that he didn't cut you off totally and forever. It shows he was the real deal. So glad you got to have him for a father. There's a lot of jerks out there. You'll find your peace with it in time but miss him your whole life. We do what we must.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit