Are JWs Who Join This Forum Expected to Tow the Accepted Line of

by believingxjw 119 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I agree with the thoughts expressed by b'exjw and NRFGeorge.

There is an unspoken heirarchy and if you dare to speak out against the so-called "leaders" of the group, you will be quickly put into line. You might even have the good fortune to be called a "dummy" by Farkel. If that happens, you know you have really been told off.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yeah . . . I've seen certain ones trot out their "credentials" as if it has anything to do with the subject being discussed. I've also experienced a certain hostility at times . . . posters taking exception to an opinion and then stalking you around the board for the sole purpose of disagreeing. As a newbie I've felt unaccepted at times. I've seen long time posters reel of a string of blue as if deliberately flouting the posting rules with impunity.

Having said all that . . . I think the drawing of paralells with the WTBS is totally invalid. This is purely human nature. It always takes a while to become "known" when joining a new group. It takes time for others to feel you out. There will always be some who express themselves more forcefully or vividly than others. Some discussions will become heated and emotional if they are important to the individual posters.

I've seen a few bannings . . . and "ticking offs" by mods . . . and in each instance there has been justification, inspite of the sadness at seeing it happen. Often . . . it can be sorted out behind the scenes . . . proved by the fact that some come back if they wish to. If someone "ticks me off" without justification I'm unlikely to take it lying down . . . long time poster or newbie, it doesn't matter with me. That's simply a case of who got here first . . . but if I violate the rules I've got no argument.

It's all just human nature on display. All in all, the owners and mods do a damn fine job . . . proved by the fact that this is a great place.

• streets76
    streets76

"Don't follow leaders, watch the parking meters." -- Dylan 3:16

• streets76
    streets76

If you're spending more time here than you ever did going to meetings, well, maybe you need a new hobby. I'm getting dangerously close.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

believingexjw:

There are no "leaders" here in the sense that you mean or at least I haven't detected any. You are not talking about the moderators are you? If you are, moderators are necessary or else this discussion board would turn into a cesspool of garbage like it did a couple of years ago.

Drastic measures needed to be taken because of all the ex-JWs who decided to get extremely gross, I guess they wanted to prove that they were no longer JWs (well they made their point). Personally, I don't care what people are into in their private life. The problem is that the rest of us who wanted intelligent discussion on a public forum had to be subjected to all this.

Anyway, this board does not have the "intimidating" feel it did ten years ago and for that I am glad. The wrath of god!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sweet holy cheezits. I'm a moderator, and nearly an old-timer, just short a couple years. I haven't been silent on this thread.

As I said way at the beginning, posters don't get booted for different beliefs. They get booted for repeated bad behavior.

The dynamic of the board itself, I believe, is a little harsh on newcomers. But not the board owner and not the moderators.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Just to clear things up, no one is complaining about Simon, Ang or the moderators.

It is those who view themselves, or others, as being "leaders" in the apostate world who think they are above any constructive criticism or debate, that are the ones that some of us take exception to.

• AGuest
    AGuest

no one is complaining about Simon, Ang or the moderators.

Can't see how that can be true, in light of the following words in the OP:

"... do we exercise a GB standard here: criticize those who take a leading role among us and you get your mouth taped shut."

For the most part, the standard was set by Simon/Angharad, with input from the board/moderators. If one is taking issue with the standard, one must be taking issue with those who set it. In addition, no one has the authority... or capability... of taping anyone's mouth shut, save perhaps Simon, Ang, or moderators... through banning.

Is there a "pecking order"? I really don't think so. I've been here a LONG time and while I can say that I see where certain ones, particularly "long-timers" may have gained a certain amount of respect, I think that's based on the overall aggregate of their posts... and through them a manifestation of MANY facets of their personalities. Not because of a few pithy statements made over a few years.

I don't believe in the position of "respect is earned" from a non-industrial point of view; I believe everyone is owed respect at the outset, and that it is subject to diminish as warranted. But some DO believe in that... and I think there's is some of that, here.

But again, unlike the WTBTS... folks aren't "born-in" here. They come... and stay... purely on choice. And it's okay to state an opinion or disagreement; I think often it's HOW that opinion/disagreement is stated that brings us to discussions like this.

If one MUST complain, then I would say one catches more flies with honey... and risks a swarm of mosquitoes with rank, stagnant water...

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    There is an unspoken heirarchy and if you dare to speak out against the so-called "leaders" of the group,
    you will be quickly put into line.....Broken Promises

I`ve been here 9 years..

I`ve never seen an Unspoken Heiarchy,or Leaders..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• sd-7
    sd-7

Well, my answer is, I hope not. I have seen lots of heated arguments here, even partaken in them myself, but I feel very strongly that everyone has the right to an opinion, ESPECIALLY if they disagree with me or with someone 'prominent' or whatever. That's the POINT!! We got out of the Watchtower so we could have the right to believe as we wish! To clamp down on someone for doing so would be to imitate the very thing we stand against!

For example, I consider the late Raymond Franz to be a hero. But I don't agree with all his interpretations of scripture. Like I remember reading that he thought the 144,000 in Revelation might be a symbolic number, which I disagree with. I'm sure he also would've supported a modified version of disfellowshipping, based solely on scripture, which I would also disagree with, more than likely. Not to mention that his anecdotes to me are unverifiable and thus can't be used as proof of anything (in terms of discussing it with an active JW), though there's more than enough tangible proof to back up stuff he wrote about.

My point is, I look to no man as a leader and I consider no man above criticism, just as I am not above it (though I don't like being criticized even when I'm making utterly stupid decisions). I think everyone should agree at least on that--that everyone is subject to objective analysis or criticism. This is how we better ourselves, after all--by listening to opposing viewpoints and considering the logic thereof.

If, however, a person persists in being, say, racist or misogynistic or threatens or needlessly insults/harasses someone, then they shouldn't be shocked if they get the cold shoulder.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit