Are JWs Who Join This Forum Expected to Tow the Accepted Line of

by believingxjw 119 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    So whether it's by design or accident . . . there exists a prejudice here. If you're happy to live with that then fine.
    But to defend it's non-existence is as outlaw would say . . . just plain stupid.....Sizemik

Yes some posters are more popular than others,for various reasons..But..

Popular or not,everyone still has a voice here..

How much weight that voice carrys,depends on the credibility they have earned..

There is no Unspoken Heirarcy or Leaders on JWN..Just a group of people,all voicing their opinions..

Sometimes they agree,sometimes they don`t..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

If you got the boot... for bad behaviour..., you can register again, and as long as you behave, no problem to stay. Quite a few have done so. Something you cannot do as a JW as far as I know. If there really would be a big problem, people would walk off to other forums. There are enough out there. Otherwise I am grateful to have found a place where I can freely talk with others with similar experiences. There are no "apostate" leaders (other than sensationalist Rick Fearon, even I must respect his courage), most people here have had enough of being in an organized structure. There are just some with more experience and expertise who are offering their help, take or leave. If Randy, Ray or Brabara wanted to start a new religion of XJW, or being a leader of something, they would have done long time ago. Enjoy your freedom speech...in a responsible way, which means... behave...

• Violia
    Violia

The folks on this and other sites who spend time and money , sweat and blood and all that jazz deserve to have some respect. They are giving back and help others.

Anyone here who has shared their story is a giver b/c they have helped someone. If posters spend time and research things- they deserve credit. That does not make us a follower of them.

Yes this is very much like HS. There are the popular kids and the rest . We all fit somewhere.

• sizemik
    sizemik

How much weight that voice carrys,depends on the credibility they have earned.. . . . OUTLAW

I hear ya OUTLAW . . . and credibility is a valid feature in debate.

A problem only arises when a "voice" is heard based too much on "credibility" and not enough on the content of their argument. Most posters achieve a reasonable balance of each, when responding, but a number don't. This thread has been useful, in that an assesment of "credibility" when taken too far becomes a prejudice.

When that happens, the same opinion will be treated quite differently, based entirely on who it is that is expressing it. This gives the impression of a heirarchial structure whether it exists or not.

Whether it be applicable to the individual or not, the danger of prejudice based on credibility alone, is something that each needs to recognise and be wary of. Benefit of the doubt based on what we may not know when assessing credibility, and instead focussing on content is a wiser course for any to whom it may apply IMO.

Without dragging out names and details . . . a particular thread that has been commented on here, displayed all of the dangers I'm referring to, and to a worrying level. Any who care to, may wish to revisit that thread in light of what's been discussed here and make their own assessment . . . and adjustments if appropriate. I don't excuse myself from that process either.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

There is a bit of merit to what the OP said. Not quite as severe as stated though and not unique to here.

After posting together for many years if an "established" poster is challenged by a new poster, it would be expected for their peers to pile on in defense.

If the challenging person is more established themselves then it will break down to a popularity contest. The ensuing thread usually ends up locked.

It's not an appostate or ex-witness thing, it's human nature and found on just about every message board on the internet.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Marking this thread so I can find it again.

I suspect that a thread I started a few weeks back has a lot to do with this discussion.

That subject is over as far as I am concerned, so no further comments - with this one exception: I still cannot see any legitimate reason why any credible ex-JW would be going on the Rick Fearon Six Screens website or those phone calls.

For what it is worth, I had my asbestos flame-suit on before I did that thread because I knew what I was getting into.

And, for what it is worth part deux - this stuff about putting people down because they post anonymously is pure B.S. We all know the reasons why some people need to do this.

I post as myself because I have been out since 1980 and have absolutely no family issues - that is not true for everybody here. NOBODY should be called a coward or made into a second class citizen because they need to keep their name private for various personal reasons.

James

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

Hello James Woods......... the fact is many are coming into The Six Screens website and conference call because it is bringing people right up to date on what is going on in the world of Jehovah's Witnesses. The conference call is a new format and is connecting with thousands of people from all over the world. There are a handful of people who may find The Six Screens objectionable but there is no reason to change it now ..... it is working!

We tell it like it is.... "NO FLUFF JUST SHOCK"

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I sometimes forget that the Internet and message boards are still new to some people.

There are ALWAYS the popular ones and they are always challenged by noobs who resent their popularity. The noob gets his ass handed to him and he leaves in a huff simply because he doesn't understand the way things work.

I have often had to fight my instinct to attack popular personalities on message boards. Resentment of popular people is a natural feeling for an introvert. But just because someone is popular doesn't make him a jerk. And just because someone might be both popular AND a jerk doesn't make him WRONG about whatever he's saying in a particular thread.

The observations in this thread are by no means unique to JWN. Welcome to humanity online in the 21st century. This is how it is.

There are heavily moderated message boards people can join if they want everyone to agree and be nice to your face and keep the backstabbing in PMs and email off the board. Or you could go back to the Kingdom Hall for the same kind of crap. Don't let the door hit you when you leave here.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    The conference call is a new format and is connecting with thousands of people from all over the world. There are a handful of people who may find

The Six Screens objectionable but there is no reason to change it now ..... it is working!.............Rick Fearon

If you had Thousands of Fans and Supporters..You would be Too Busy to be on JWN..

It`s not working..

So your willing to Bang a Drum in a Place,where your Not Very Popular..

................. ...OUTLAW

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Rick you are delusional.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit