Are JWs Who Join This Forum Expected to Tow the Accepted Line of

by believingxjw 119 Replies latest jw friends

• sizemik
    sizemik

OK . . . I'll weigh in as a "newbie".

I've followed this thread closely and can see validity in each argument . . . and very little concession on either side.

If I may respectfully take up besty's point on granting credence . . .

My point is that I personally will attached more credence to argument made on JWN by:

· People I know and have met in the real world

· People I am friends with on FaceBook

· Long term members on JWN who I know only on here but have a history of making points on threads that I find of interest

There are posters here who you are unlikely to ever meet in the real world . . . or make personal friends with . . . simply because they live on the other side of the world. Many fit curtains description of having undergone many heartaches and have also lost everything on account of the damage inflicted by the WT cult. I have for one. Additionally, several I know of (including myself) have put forth strenuous efforts within our own region to mitigate the effect of the WT cult . . . started websites, lobbied Govt agencies, written to news agencies etc. This is largely unnoticed in North America for obvious reasons which I have no issue with . . . but it does create a "tiered" structure here. That only leaves the third point made by besty . . . being a long-time contributor on JWN . . . which I believe is the essence of BP's point

If there are a significant number who adopt a similar stance . . . we get something akin to what happened on the James Wood thread which was a mass-contribution and not solely of his making . . . JGnat has the honesty and good sense to acknowlege accurately what happened there . . .

That was an example of board swarming, which I've mentioned I don't like.

So whether it's by design or accident . . . there exists a prejudice here. If you're happy to live with that then fine. But to defend it's non-existence is as outlaw would say . . . just plain stupid.

In conclusion I would endorse AGuest's recommendation . . .

I don't believe in the position of "respect is earned" from a non-industrial point of view; I believe everyone is owed respect at the outset, and that it is subject to diminish as warranted. But some DO believe in that... and I think there's is some of that, here.

Perhaps there could simply be a little more respect and credence granted here without being the "peanut gallery" until proven otherwise. It's a category, like credence, that should be "earned" before it is assumed. Some are serious contributors that you simply don't know about.

If I've quoted anybody out of context, I apologise. Feel free to point it out . . . but in doing so, deal with the points made here in the context which they are presented.

• besty
    besty

Thanks for the thoughtful observations sizemilk.

A peanut gallery is an audience that heckles the performer, anonymously in the context of what I said.

By definition it precludes anyone, newbie or otherwise, that is adding value.

Newbies can and frequently do add value from their first post. And long term members with huge post counts may have a reputation for being unduly critical with no particular value to the majority of their posts.

Conflating 'anonymous' + 'peanut gallery' + 'newbies' into one soundbite of 'untouchable hierarchy' doesn't reflect how I feel about JWN.

My point simply was that if you are here to throw anonymous stones at people with real identities who have credence (Barb Anderson in this case) then, until such time as Simon implements an ignore button, I will call it like I see it.

As I have already said this is very subjective and personal - I don't expect, cajole or coerce others to share my view.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Hey Besty,

Do you realise it just sounds funny that you carry on about the "anonymous peanut gallery" when you yourself are anonymous and rarely post except in posts like these?

I know you don't know me, but that's ok. I live on the other side of the world to you (just as Sizemik talked about) so you're unlikely to ever meet me, although I have travelled to the States and met several apostates, some of whom still post here. I had been on various exjw boards and were posting on them while you were still a JW. So, to me, you are the "newbie". I'm just an old-timer who happened to rejoin after many years of not posting.

Those who "stick their neck out" are merely the visible ones, but it doesn't make them any more special than the person who has lost contact with all their family but choses to be anonymous. Many here have done something in regards to speaking out against the WTS, but they haven't been as public as Ray Franz or Barb Anderson. They're just as brave and couragious as the Andersons and Franzs of this world - just quieter. I have done my own work with family members to help them out - but I don't go about blowing my trumpet about it. To me, it's personal business. And I have the right to be as anonymous as I wish - or not.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Thanks for the clarification besty . . . and I freely concede your points are valid ones.

And I also agree with . . .

By definition it precludes anyone, newbie or otherwise, that is adding value.

Unfortunately, the definition isn't always reflected in practice. This is not directed at any particular individual, but this discussion has been useful in some respects. It would be nice to think that those who place themselves outside of the peanut gallery, give more benefit of the doubt (ie; make allowance for what they may not know as mentioned above). The perception of an elitist hierarcy does exist, and adds nothing of value to the XJW community either. Perhaps it's a legacy to the many years spent in a mind-controlling cult as some have suggested . . . or just plain old human nature. Either way, it should be part of our growth as XJW's to avoid it if possible IMO.

• Curtains
    Curtains

excellent points sizemik

thanks for bringing out additional angles. I often don't understand american jargon and often feel left out because of simply not understanding their POV or their humour or how they go about doing things (North americans are definitely the other for me) being more of a quiet worker with a different sense of humour and take on life. And this is also true

Additionally, several I know of (including myself) have put forth strenuous efforts within our own region to mitigate the effect of the WT cult . . . started websites, lobbied Govt agencies, written to news agencies etc. This is largely unnoticed in North America for obvious reasons which I have no issue with . . . but it does create a "tiered" structure here.

kudos to you

• Curtains
    Curtains

broken promises

Those who "stick their neck out" are merely the visible ones, but it doesn't make them any more special than the person who has lost contact with all their family but choses to be anonymous. Many here have done something in regards to speaking out against the WTS, but they haven't been as public as Ray Franz or Barb Anderson. They're just as brave and couragious as the Andersons and Franzs of this world - just quieter. I have done my own work with family members to help them out - but I don't go about blowing my trumpet about it. To me, it's personal business. And I have the right to be as anonymous as I wish - or not.

hear hear

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I feel WE usually reach some sort of concensus, often after heated debate, My own example, I started a thread because I genuinley believed in the Ark. I stood there like a boxer going toe to toe, giving as good as I got , not seeking a fight. Until somebody made a really sarcastic reply, but the points raised were undeniable, the other posters had been right, I just could not SEE IT, but rather than take offence at the snide remarks, I just started laughing at the effects many years of brainwashing by WTS had had on me, THEY WTS had turned me into a moron.
    For me having the ability to debate is great, and if I have to tone down my language, its a small price to pay for my continued participation here.

Your post says a great deal eruption . . . you've brought us back to the real value of JWN and why it's such a great site.

• besty
    besty
    Do you realise it just sounds funny that you carry on about the "anonymous peanut gallery" when you yourself are anonymous and rarely post except in posts like these

Am I anonymous?

My life story with numerous identifying details including my name, place of birth, parents names, wifes name etc etc etc is on this forum

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/member/17282/started/7

I recently asked Simon to delete my surname as I didn't want that level of detail in Google.

Do I rarely post? You can do the maths - 3600 posts in 6 years - what's that? 10 a week?

The reason I posted on this thread is that No Room For George namechecked me and misrepresented what I wrote.

Sorry I can't help you with your inability to read with comprehension.

My point is clear - if you are anonymous AND your posting is purely criticism of individuals without any other redeeming value, then you are part of the anonymous peanut gallery FOR ME.

I am not having a go at anonymous quiet people or your right to be so - merely that if you are on here posting ad-hominem shit from behind the protection of your anonymity then FOR ME your contribution carries less weight. I am unclear as to why you feel anonymous ad hominem shit is to be so highly prized?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Bestsy, you are anonymous yourself in the sense that few apart those who were around in 2005, or those with the time to read through your 3700 posts, would know who you are. You don't post with your name, and you rarely post these days, so yes, you are anonymous.

My point is that anyone can be anonymous and have the right to be so.

merely that if you are on here posting ad-hominem shit from behind the protection of your anonymity then FOR ME your contribution carries less weight. I am unclear as to why you feel anonymous ad hominem shit is to be so highly prized?

I do not see anyone who randomly posts rubbish for the sake of it. Perhaps you'd like to give us an example of the type of posts that you mean?

• AGuest
    AGuest

The problem here really is POV (may you all have peace!), which, like opinions, we all have, and, like anonymity and NON-anonymity, we are all entitled to.

BP (peace to you!), please don’t think I’m picking on you (I’m not, truly), but you and I see very little in the same context, at least as far as what we each post on this Board. A few things (which makes us both go, "WOW!") but not much. I realize, however, that this matter is "sensitive" to/for you and you are certainly entitled to your feelings and opinions on it. However, I want to show you what I mean and I will use your latest comments do demonstrate, if I may. Again, this is not an attack on you (not at ALL!) but an attempt to show just HOW different OUR two POV’s are… and so perhaps why there are two extremely polarized camps (which may never agree) on this issue:

Those who "stick their neck out" are merely the visible ones, but it doesn't make them any more special than the person who has lost contact with all their family but choses to be anonymous.

I think that’s only partially true. People who stick their neck out are VISIBLE – folks know WHO they talking to/about. Which tends to make it more PERSONAL. And make the comments… good and bad… more personal. When one is anonymous, however, it’s harder for others to truly know where they’re coming from (i.e., if that’s REALLY how they feel/what they meant – “I can’t remember if dear Besty (peace to you!) said that in another thread, but I CERTAINLY know that Randy (peace to you, as well!) said THIS in another thread"). Anonymity tends to create blind “holes”… which is one of the reasons many folks want to BE anonymous: they don’t WANT anyone putting the pieces of the puzzle that is “them” together and figuring out who they REALLY are. In many cases, the “person” posting HERE… is NOT the same “person” off the Board. LOTS of folks learned how to live “double” lives while a JW… and many are still doing it. And many know this and so anonymity contributes to the perception of that. Those who “stick their next out” and REMOVE their anonymity, however, tend to have moved on past whatever fears/reasons cause others to want to be anonymous... which does make them a bit “special” (as compared to those who cannot/will not do so… yet).

I also think that, due to WTBTS indoctrination and resultant baggage, some have a bit of a problem with anyone considered “special” by others. What is that, though? I don’t think it has anything to do with anything external, but really originates internally.

Many here have done something in regards to speaking out against the WTS, but they haven't been as public as Ray Franz or Barb Anderson. They're just as brave and couragious as the Andersons and Franzs of this world - just quieter.

Yes, I agree with you here. And I also don't tend to "revere" people, no matter what they may have done. I figure, they did what they OUGHT to have done. I don’t get, however, that anyone has ever said anything to the contrary here… or elsewhere... as to others being "just as brave and courageous"... even though "quieter." If they're quiet, folks usually don't KNOW about they bravery and courage... so AS to consider them. At all... let alone as "special." Right??

I have done my own work with family members to help them out - but I don't go about blowing my trumpet about it. To me, it's personal business.

But that’s YOU, how YOU feel. Others don’t necessarily feel the same way. And the whole “not blowing a trumpet” is much of a “christian” thing, isn’t it, in line with Christ’s words in Matt. 6? Many no longer ascribe to such teaching or thinking, particularly those who profess to be atheist. How, then, can you try and hold them to a standard they no longer recognize… just because you hold yourself to it? It is this self-holding that drives your aversion; however, it need not do so. Because your only concern, if you DO ascribe to that teaching… should be YOU… and YOUR adherence to it… while setting the EXAMPLE for others through YOUR conduct. Not taking issue with them for not adhering to the same conduct. Right?

And I have the right to be as anonymous as I wish - or not.

Yes, you certainly do! As to they, as to NOT being anonymous. Right? That their NOT being causes some others to consider them “special” is… what? Why does that bother YOU? Surely, some who DO choose to be anonymous are considered “special” as well... by those who KNOW [of] them. If one is NOT so considered, however… how is that the fault of those who ARE considered so… so as to malign THEM? They're not calling/considering themselves "special" - others are. True, they may be making a way for this by no longer hiding... but it's not like they say, "Hey, I'm gonna put myself out there, so you all better consider me special!" T

They put themselves out there, perhaps in a big way, so that others know the truth about the WTBTS. Although you may be doing it "quietly" and on a smaller scale, aren't you doing the SAME thing, with regards to those YOU help? Surely, THEY know who you are... and are thankful for your help... so that to THEM... you are "special"? Did you hold yourself out that way, though? Or did it just occur because they are GRATEFUL for the help you gave them?

If we all remained anonymous, BP, who would trust us? WHY would they trust us? People who HAVE nothing to hide… HIDE nothing. Ms. Anderson, Mr. Waters, Mr. Franz, et al., no longer have anything to hide… or anyone to hide FROM. When that is the case, you DON’T hide/remain anonymous – you “stick your neck out.” That people APPRECIATE this... and consider them "special" for doing so is... human. Really. Very typical, actually.

You don't post with your name, and you rarely post these days, so yes, you are anonymous.

Ummmmm… I don’t post with my name (I use “AGuest”)… and I think, given the number average, I post less than dear Besty… and yet, I am no way anonymous. Virtually everyone here knows my name. If they don't, it's easily known as it's in my member profile. In addition, I’ve put it on threads so that folks use it quite frequently. Posting by an avatar ID does not necessarily make one anonymous.

My point is that anyone can be anonymous and have the right to be so.

Yes. And, in the alternative, NOT be. And has THAT right, yes?

I do not see anyone who randomly posts rubbish for the sake of it. Perhaps you'd like to give us an example of the type of posts that you mean?

See, now, I didn’t see where Besty stated anything about rubbish. He addressed the issue of posting with ad hominems… while hiding behind anonymity. True, such are rubbish, but a very specific type of rubbish. Your response, however, is a diversion… and attempt to deflect what he really pointed to, without addressing that issue.

So you see, you and I have entirely different POVs on these issues. BUT... that doesn't mean we can't discuss it... without taking it personally and allowing our feelings to be hurt... even if ultimately, we agree to disagree. No one agrees with everyone on everything (well, except me, as to my Lord, but that's another thread, isn't it? ).

I'm not trying to say that your opinions/feelings here don't count. They do. BUT... perhaps they are coming from a place of sensitivity that you aren't yet aware of because I see a LOT of that (sensitivity) in your posts/responses. And I understand it. I'm just not sure YOU do... yet.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit