...Were Trump`s comments about Obama Racist?...

by OUTLAW 178 Replies latest social current

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The charges of racism as connected to "birtherism" has to do with applying a double-standard of proof of citizenship to a black president that has not ever been applied to a white president. To my knowledge, this charge has not been answered by anyone who defends Trump, the Tea Party or any other proponents of birtherism.

This double-standard (dog-whistle) could serve as a benchmark for defining a racist or for pandering to the racist mentality.

Those who attempt to draw an equivalency with birtherism on the one hand and criticism of Bush on the other, still forget that criticism of Bush was based on Bush's policies, doctrines and governance - not on his legitimacy to hold the office of POTUS.

The (continuing) attempt to de-legitimize this president has no precedent in American history. It is disingenuous to argue that this smear campaign bears no connection to racism.

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

Bizzy-Bee:

"Those who attempt to draw an equivalency with birtherism on the one hand and criticism of Bush on the other, still forget that criticism of Bush was based on Bush's policies, doctrines and governance - not on his legitimacy to hold the office of POTUS.

The (continuing) attempt to de-legitimize this president has no precedent in American history. It is disingenuous to argue that this smear campaign bears no connection to racism."

What you described, Bizzy, is known as a false equivalency.

These people are like a bully who hits his victim over and over again and when his victim responds to his assault with a modest push the bully says, "You see; you see! That's why you deserve to be beaten up."

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

not even going to read OUTLAWS GREAT WORK . GASOLINE IS OVER $ 4.25 A GALLON SCREW OBAMA HE JUST AS BAD AD GOERGE BUSH

• JunkYardDog
    JunkYardDog

SCREWING THE AMERICAN PUBLIC HAS ONLY ONE COLOR $ GREEN DOLLARS OBAMA IS A WHORE JUST LIKE BUSH

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@No Room For George wrote:

I haven't [gone] through this entire thread, plus I said my piece on Trump in the other thread, but I don't think Trump is racist per say. At least not in the KKKish view of the term, or even the mom/pop occasional nigger joke behind closed doors description of being racist. What I do believe is he's race bating in a subtle manner by pandering to certain elements within the crowd of Obama haters. I can't call the Tea Party racist because there's black Tea Partiers....

One thing that bugs me though, is his language. I thought that was completely inappropriate, and it actually played to my JW upbringing because I swear people are getting cruder and more [vulgar] in public than ever before.

@djeggnog wrote:

I don't believe your "upbringing" as one of Jehovah's Witnesses ever included the "occasional nigger joke," did it? You make not like Trump's language, but what [about] your language here? As I asked @moshe, I might ask how it is you would interpret the following?

Anyone in the majority that is more likely than not to treat others that they perceive as being, not just different than, but inferior in comparison with themselves, and for whom raising questions as to the character, abilities or intellectual achievements of someone in the minority because of their race isn't viewed as offensive but as copacetic to them, is a racist.

@No Room For George wrote:

Actually DJ, you're only partially wrong on what you believe about my upbringing as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, although I have to add, my upbringing as a black Jehovah's Witness. Amongst other black JWs, I've never heard any "nigger" jokes, but I've heard plenty of "nigga" jokes. Obviously no white brother will make a "nigger" joke in my presense, so on that end of things, you're right.

I have no beliefs about your upbringing. I don't know you at all, and your race is beside the point seeks to derail mine, which is in part what you yourself said here about Trump:

What I do believe is he's race bating in a subtle manner by pandering to certain elements within the crowd of Obama haters. I can't call the Tea Party racist because there's black Tea Partiers....

However, where you and I part company is that you believe seem to be of the belief that only whites can say things that might be construed as racist in nature. Your response makes you sound like someone that sees things through the lens of race (which isn't a disability from which only whites suffer), and makes you sound naive as if you find it implausible to believe that whites would ever play the proverbial "race card" to pander to white audiences.

Someone is "playing the race card" when they exploit, as did Trump in his comments the other day, the prevailing prejudices of people against other races to obtain some political or economic advantage. An example of this I mentioned in my previous post here, when, in the aftermath of the Katrina Hurricane, survivors in New Orleans were being referred to euphemistically as "refugees" by whites, as if these Americans needed to be assigned "refugee status" in order to be recognized as the American citizens they already were, and not just pundits, but many people -- all of them white -- indicated at the time that the use of the word "refugees" should have been regarded as an inoffensive label although they were being told that the word "refugees" was considered by some -- some white and some black -- as a substitute for the n-word.

You also illustrated the evolution of outward racism in this country from how it was manifest several decades ago, to how its manifest subtlely today.

No, I didn't.

One question DJ, what gives? Its unlike you to participate in a thread such as this. Something touch a chord?

A thread like what now? What "chord"? You seem to have concluded that JWN is the only message board I read, the only online place where I might post messages, but on what basis did you so conclude? Whether someone is or isn't a racist is a rather silly topic, so I decided to post something scriptural to give some substance to this thread, for threads like this one reveal that even here on JWN, there is no love for one's neighbor. You might be one of the few non-lurkers here that is actually reading my posts! Did you get my point when I wrote that neither Trump nor POTUS Obama is capable of saving anyone from the Avenger of Death?

Racist comments are the norm in the US, and one has to be stupid not to know that the ignorance in people that hate their fellow man isn't just limited to those among the American electorate since the politicians bring some of the prejudices and biases of their constituents with them to Capitol Hill and to the White House.

Tim Wise wrote: "If we have never seen racism as a real problem, contemporary to the time in which the charges are being made, and if in all generations past we were obviously wrong to the point of mass delusion in thinking this way, what should lead us to conclude that now, at long last, we've become any more astute at discerning social reality than we were before? Why should we trust our own perceptions or instincts on the matter, when we have run up such an amazingly bad track record as observers of the world in which we live? In every era, black folks said they were the victims of racism and they were right. In every era, whites have said the problem was exaggerated, and we have been wrong.

"If you want to know about whether or not racism is a problem, it would probably do you best to ask the folks who are its targets. They, after all, are the ones who must, as a matter of survival, learn what it is, and how and when it's operating. We whites on the other hand, are the persons who have never had to know a thing about it, and who--for reasons psychological, philosophical and material--have always had a keen interest in covering it up. In short, and let us be clear on it: race is not a card. It determines who the dealer is, and who gets dealt."

@djeggnog

• moshe
    moshe

Racism, IMO, has at it's core the idea that I am better than you because of the color of my skin. I personally don't subscribe to that idea, but I do not cut people any slack for a lack of character. I have had a lot of experience with people of less than stellar character from when I owned a mobile home park and I came to the conclusion that poor people were often poor because of poor character. My best tennants were gay and lesbians and did I ever love to have them as renters. My worst were lazy people who smoked cigs and pot, drank two cases of beer a week, played the lottery every day and only worked 4 days a week, because they couldn't buy their beer/cigs with only three days pays.

I had first hand knowledge last year of a woman who had 8 children by 8 different fathers and as long as our society enables people to make these bad repetitive decisions and pay them to do it, we will continue our slide downward as a country. Racism did not cause the major grocery stores to leave Detroit , because of theft, pilferage and bogus slip & fall lawsuits.

I was an electrician in a major plant, which as I have explained before was about 70% Black- except in skilled trades- about 80-90% white. A black electrician could walk away from a breakdown, "I can't figure it out"- and then they would send me or another guy over from another building to find & fix his problem. However, a white electrician was never allowed to just walk away from his breakdown and tell the boss to find someone else. Yes, I saw a double standard for Blacks- was it a lack of ability or lack of desire that caused the differences in work ethic? Maybe my experience was the exception.

I have lived in integrated working class/rising professional neighborhoods for 20 years- I have retired blacks living on on my street and I know them personally, we have drank each other's ice tea, helped wach other on projects, shared plants, tools, etc. My daughter's public school is fully integrated- all races and ethnic groups live in my city. She has had black girl friends on sleep overs and gone to their homes for the same. Anyone who is honest and trusworthy is welcome in my home. JWs get a special going over- they alaways run away before I pour the iced tea.

• the pharmer
    the pharmer

(djeggnog, you have a 1 day old PM from me...thanks)

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

These people are like a bully who hits his victim over and over again and when his victim responds to his assault with a modest push the bully says, "You see; you see! That's why you deserve to be beaten up."

Precisely. This reminds me of a few posters here. Only the punchline is more like "See! You attack ME instead of presenting an argument, Simon!"

• Mary
    Mary
    I just want to correct something Mary said: Donald Trump IS NOT a die-hard Republican.

I stand corrected!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

The charges of racism as connected to "birtherism" has to do with applying a double-standard of proof of citizenship to a black president that has not ever been applied to a white president. To my knowledge, this charge has not been answered by anyone who defends Trump, the Tea Party or any other proponents of birtherism.

1) - The issue has been widely discussed about former California governor Arnold Swarzeneger - and it never was considered racism.

2) - The issue was in fact NOT created by the Tea Party, Trump, or the Republican party. It was started by Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primaries.

3) - I personally (for whatever that is worth) have condemned the "birther" argument as nonsense many times here on JWN.

4) - We have a radicalized poster here who has said in the course of this thread:

a) - He hates all Republicans, Tea Party members, even people who watch Fox news.

b) - at least half of all Republicans are racist.

c) - even if Trump is not himself racist, anybody who follows him is a racist, so Trump himself is a racist pimp.

d) - in an attempt (a pathetic attempt) to declare Trump a racist, at least one person has inexplicably brought up ancient racists like George Wallace and Strom Thurmond to somehow illogically associate them with Trump (no sense there, but it got posted). Later comments by both backing away from racism toward the end of their lives apparantly did not count.

My conclusions: This thread is all about radicalized politics - so radical that one of the loudest mouths here has said he hates other people on the opposite side of the American political spectrum.

This is my last post on the subject, until somebody shows me actual evidence that Trump is in fact a racist - at which point I will condemn him as a racist.

Sylvia, I believe, will confirm that I have several times in the past made a repeated effort to denounce racist posts here on JWN.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit